Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Fishcake – please define…
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

I grew up between Leeds & Wakefield, every chip shop sold something called a “fish cake”.
    It was two slices of potato, with a layer of hish (haddock, usually) in between, dipped in batter & deep fried. A meal in itself.
    I now live in Baildon, 5-6 miles north of Bradford, having lived in the curry district since I was 17. Fishcake is as defined above.

Go to Barnsley, less than 10 miles south of Wakefield, and this is known as a “fish scallop” derived no doubt from the simple “scallop”, which is a slice of potato, deep fried in batter.

A “fish cake” here is a pathetic little piece of mashed potato, with a hint of cod or salmon, rolled in breadcrumbs. Hardly the substantial, yet cheaper than a fish, item that I’ve been used to all my life.
    Ok, I can accept it from the dingles, but then the other night I was in Halifax and again a “fishcake” was the pathetic mashed potato/breadcrumb thing

Show me your chippy’s idea of a fish cake 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

A fishcake is a breaded potato and fish mash patty.

Anything else is a local affectation. Like your northern bread products.

donsimon
    Free Member

For me a fishcake is the fishmashmixbreadcrumb thing you described.

spooky_b329

For me its fish and mash in breadcrumbs as well. but not the horrible thin bland chip shop variety, should be nice and fat with proper birds of fish.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Fishcake is def fish type mush betwix two pieces of potato, deep fried in batter. I live just over’t Baildon moor tho.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I grew up between Leeds & Wakefield, every chip shop sold something called a “fish cake”.
    It was two slices of potato, with a layer of hish (haddock, usually) in between, dipped in batter & deep fried. A meal in itself.

THAT is a fishcake. Proper northern grub. This is what Sheffield fish cakes are like anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fishcake = mashed potato and fish, in posh restaurants as well as chippies. End of.

P20

Harry ramsden used to sell two types. Yorkshire fishcake – fish between slices of potato and battered. Parsley fishcake, mashed fish, potato and parsley battered. They now only do parsley.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fishcakes are indeed potato/minced fish/potato battered and deep fried – a way of using up crappy bits of fish that can’t be fried and sold as such. In a previous life I used to make them at the chippy I worked at.

Of course everyone has their own opinion of what is the correct way of making them, but that way taste far superior.

Bunnyhop

Like your northern bread products.

eee by gum lad ‘barm cakes’ here, ‘baps’ for you Southerners.

Fish cake is a mixture of mash and white fish, parsley finely chopped and lightly seasoned, pressed in a scone shape then shallowed fried.

That’s pronounced scone as in gone, not scone as in cone.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

splitters!

donsimon
    Free Member

Baps you say? We need pics. 😈

donsimon
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – Member

splitters!

❓ 😕

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Fishcake is slice of fish between two slices of spud battered and deep fried, with scraps in breadcake ftw

DrRSwank
    Free Member

For crying out loud, here we go:-

Fish cake – a PROPER fish cake is two slices of potato with a slice of fish in between, battered and fried.

Captain Birdseye fish cake – some nasty product invented by the frozen food industry as a way of using fish eyes, lips and nipples. Mashed so that you can tell it’s a cods ring piece you’re nibbling on.

Bread ‘buns’ are called bread cakes by the decent folk in this world. Having said that you’d not put a proper fish cake in a bread cake – just not done….

And scone is pronounced the same as stone.

john_drummer
    Free Member

barm cakes come from the wrong side of the hill 😉

“a cake in a tea cake please”

john_drummer
    Free Member

mind you, I used to work over t’wrong side o’ t’hill, in Accrington.
    some reet weird stuff on sale there

Hollands Pies for starters 😉
    pie in a barm 😯
    pie in soup
    black puddin
    sandwich shops called “Sam Witches” 🙄

actually, I’m about 5 minutes drive from Harry Ramsdens.
    Never go there, Websters in Baildon or Murgatroyds at Yeadon are much better.

donsimon
    Free Member

And scone is pronounced the same as stone.

No it’s not! 🙄 Therefore invalidating anything else you’ve said…

Crag
    Free Member

Pie soup? Just wrong.
    FWIW, a fish cake is definitely a couple of slices of spud with a bit of fish in the middle and deep fried in batter until ready to inflict heart disease.
    Having said that, given where you grew up, I probably went in the same chippies

john_drummer
    Free Member

scone/scone – potayto/potahto. whatever. for me, it rhymes with “gone”

and I have mine with butter, then jam, and then clotted cream

no, not Pie Soup, Pie IN Soup. A bowl of (usually) tomato soup, with a meat (indeterminate) pie plonked in the middle…

but “a pie in a barm” is the one that gets me. I mean, a pie sandwich 😯

john_drummer
    Free Member

anyway, back on topic…

this feeble offering:

vs this meal in your hand:

the case rests

mushy peas are optional, but FFS never with mint sauce!

rewski
    Free Member

Fish in two slices of potato, sounds more like a northern fishy starch sandwich – yuk!
    Crumbed fish, mash, parsley in golden breadcrumbs, homemade tartar sauce and a crisp glass of sauvignon blanc – yum!

Stoner
    Free Member

The North. It’s like the renaissance never happened 🙄

rewski
    Free Member

Sorry your picture is your worst defence

Junkyard
    Free Member

wigan kebab pie in a barm cake /bap /roll/bun whatever you wish to call it.

Why is it called a cake when it is not a pudding? Serious Q is there a reason?

I suggest anyone who thinks a fishcake is a pice of fish between two slices of potato (RobJ I’m disappointed in you), has a look for some decent recipes, Rick Stein’s included.

It doesn’t have to resemble Captain Birdseye’s lame offering to pass the criteria you know.

A fishcake…

rewski
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – that’s what I’m talking about!

john_drummer
    Free Member

renaissance? that’ll be one of them fancy French dishes then?

the case rests fails

mushy peas are optional, but FFS never always with mint sauce!

Sorted that one for you john drummer.

What is wrong with you man?

sweepy
    Free Member

well im only familiar with the normal fishcake, but i’d be well up for trying one of those northern ones.

john_drummer
    Free Member

mint sauce is evil. it’s green vinegar FFS

spooky_b329

Anyway…last time I went into a chippy up north, there was ‘burger and chips’ on the menu. So I upgrade and ask for cheeseburger and chips, only to be told ‘we don’t do cheeseburgers’. So I’m thinking its a bit strange, a pack of processed cheese and they can add 20p to the price. Get my burger and chips…no bap, just a deep fried burger dripping grease all over the chips. Are they all like that oop north?

_tom_
    Free Member

mint sauce is evil. it’s green vinegar FFS

Delicious minty green vinegar though 🙂

ton

a proper fishcake is
    potato
    fish
    potato
    dipped in batter and deep fried in dripping.

john_drummer
    Free Member

technically I suppose they were right with the “burger & chips”. If they’d said “hamburger & chips” you would have been right to expect it in a bun…
    but while they do have them on the menu in many chippies round here, I’ve never seen anyone actually buy one…

martymac

SCONE.
    general public usage = rhymes with gone.
    proper scottish usage by people who know what they are talking about =
    rhymes with stone.
    the place from which it derives its name = rhymes with moon.

thejesmonddingo

I grew up in Barnsley,and wouldn’t eat fishcakes,only scallops,delish, nearly as nice as Albert Hirst’s pork pie in mushy peas,with salt and vinegar,none of your minty muck.
    Ian

carlosg
    Free Member

a proper fishcake is
    potato
    fish
    potato
    dipped in batter and deep fried in dripping. +1

Like all good cakes i.e.

cream
    sponge
    jam/cream
    sponge

i mean how would you feel if you went to buy a victoria sponge and they gave you a cream and sponge mash with a dusting of icing sugar? Bleurgh.

Bunnyhop

Scallop pronounced scol up not scal up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Fishcake – please define…’ is closed to new replies.