Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Fish and Chips
  • SaxonRider

I ate a full order last night, and now I feel as if I would like to purge my entire gastro-intestinal system. I am currently far more uncomfortable at his very moment than I would be had I just gone out and got drunk, then followed it up with a big curry.

Does anyone else find the sheer amount of calories, and especially calories-from-grease, utterly indigestible? 🙁

RealMan
    Free Member

MTFU and go get some mcdonalds.

grantway
    Free Member

Get a life Fat Boy

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uplink
    Free Member

Fish & Chips are ambrosia but only as long as they’re cooked in beef dripping

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the acid in a couple of pickled onions helps break down the grease. schoolboy error not having a few

duntstick
    Free Member

I live abroad, you don’t know how perfect all that sounds……….

(If there had maybe been a bit of chippy curry sauce too!)

mikey74
    Free Member

Fish and chips = the blandest national dish going.

rusty90
    Free Member

I think you’ve already discovered the solution to your problem.
    In order to purge your entire gastro-intestinal system, go out and get drunk, then follow it up with a big curry.

I’ve just had bacon, egg and chips for lunch. With HP sauce.

uplink
    Free Member

Who told you it was a national dish?

mikey74
    Free Member

Who told you it was a national dish?

So are you telling me that fish and chips is not one of England’s national dishes?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Loads of coffee. That normally gets my insides going.

binners

I am currently far more uncomfortable at his very moment than I would be had I just gone out and got drunk, then followed it up with a big curry.

Well…. let that be a lesson to you! Would you like to contribute to the ‘Every day’s a school day’ thread

joao3v16
    Free Member

Quite approriate then, seeing as we’re one of the blandest nations going…

mikey74
    Free Member

Quite approriate then, seeing as we’re one of the blandest nations going…

Very good point.

mintimperial

A little bit of takeaway trivia for you: perhaps surprisingly the first Indian restaurant was opened in 1810, whilst the earliest claimed date for a chippy is around 1860.

Maybe curry has a better claim to being our national dish than fish and chips?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm talking of fish “n” chips are we..

Round my way there was only 1 “chippy”. For years it was packed out, queues around the car park on any given Thursday. They were very good mind, but I used to by pass them and pop in once every couple of months.
    Roll on to now.. and we have four chippies, all popped up in the last couple of eyars. Each proclaim to be the “finest” yadda yadda.. and I’ve since used the nearest to me on a few occasions when miandering back from the Pub. Very good they are too I may add, with a choice of fish, chips that when scooped up look like you need some mini digger to get them in the paper wrapper. Far too many for our delicate bodies to consume so we share 1 portion between us and add in some mushy peas.
    Not bad, not bad at all.
    It’s packed ut by the way, my local chippie. Whodathunkit??

mikey74
    Free Member

A little bit of takeaway trivia for you: perhaps surprisingly the first Indian restaurant was opened in 1810, whilst the earliest claimed date for a chippy is around 1860.

Maybe curry has a better claim to being our national dish than fish and chips?

I am well aware of the importance of curry to this country. However, fish and chips is ONE of England’s national dishes, do you not agree?

atlaz
    Free Member

Pretty sure fish and chips is a French derived dish

Cougar

Poisson et pommes frites? Do me a quaver. They’d probably put salad cream on it. </casual xenophobia>

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

No, Jamie Oliver said on the telly the other night the Jews invented fish & chips. He also said they invented smoked salmon.

He’s a fookin idiot, he really is.

Fish & chips is awesome. Was down in Padstow last week so had to sample them from Rick Stein’s place. £8 a go but flippin heck they were good. Sat in the harbour with a can of coke, dark, warm, some busker playing the guitar (well I may add) and the lights twinking around the harbour. Perfect…

nickf
    Free Member

Poisson et pommes frites? Do me a quaver. They’d probably put salad cream on it. </casual xenophobia>

One of the few good things about living in Belgium was the frites shop in the middle of the square just around the corner from my flat.

There was a choice of around 10 mayonnaises, and you got a massive scowl from Mr Serving-Bloke if you said you didn’t want any. Properly offended, he was.

Cougar

Didn’t you tell him, curry ketchup!

ransos
    Free Member

Mayonnaise on chips is a crime. Why on earth anyone would want to ruin the perfection of deep-fried potato with that devil’s spunk is a mystery.

Cougar

They’ve started putting it on BK beanburgers now too. I got quite a shock the other day. Just because there’s no meat in it doesn’t make it a farking vegetable.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pretty sure fish and chips is a French derived dish

Wrong. See below.

No, Jamie Oliver said on the telly the other night the Jews invented fish & chips. He also said they invented smoked salmon.

He’s a fookin idiot, he really is.

Erm, except that he’s not, because it’s actually true. Check your history before calling people idiots… 😉

A proper nice fish n chips is lovely. Pub near me does a fantastic FnC, with divine mushy peas.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Nah mate, not from a pub. It needs to come in paper, innit

Cougar

Ssh, leave him alone, he’s southern.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No thanks. I want it served up propperly, piping hot on a plate with a knife and fork, not lukewarm in soggy paper. I want to be sat down nice and comfy to eat, not shivering huddled in some freezing damp bus shelter in Doncaster or wherever…

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Eh? Soggy paper’s the best bit!

They’re posh down south aren’t they?

Cougar

They talk funny, an’ all.

Some say, they don’t have curry sauce. Or gravy.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

****. That. You can keep your plates and knives and forks pal

wwaswas

One mans poisson is another mans national dish.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

Oh you poor, poor Northern folk with your quaint, antiquated ways and your outside toilets… 😥

molgrips
    Free Member

When Mrs Grips’ sister and niece came over, we had chips in Cardiff Bay, so not quite a proper sea front but similar. We sat on the quay and ate from paper whilst fighting off seagulls – the proper British experience.

Cougar

Oh you poor, poor Northern folk with your quaint, antiquated ways and your outside toilets…

… and enough water to flush ’em.

nickf
    Free Member

Pepper mayonnaise on your frites is pretty good, with garlic mayo a close second

SaxonRider

Elfinsafety – Member
    not shivering huddled in some freezing damp bus shelter in Doncaster or wherever…

😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No but it’s true, SaxonRider. That’s what Northerners do. 😐

It’s not funny.

wallop

Fish & chips is awesome. Was down in Padstow last week so had to sample them from Rick Stein’s place. £8 a go but flippin heck they were good. Sat in the harbour with a can of coke, dark, warm, some busker playing the guitar (well I may add) and the lights twinking around the harbour. Perfect…

my heaven

CHB

Fish n chips! In a bus shelter!
    You were lucky.
    We had to share a tramps cardboard box and content ourselves with the burnt bits the chippy threw out at closing time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Fish and Chips’ is closed to new replies.