Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Fish and chips ruined by fish-kicker
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Drove us out to the sticks last night with a bag of chips, like old people do. Parked near a pool. Three or four young persons were fishing the pool, had chairs etc. Spied me one of them unhooking what looked like a particularly large fish (carp?) which then fell in the grass. He then tried to pick it up and it slipped and fell back onto the ground, so they were all hooting with laughter, especially the female. So the young alpha male then decided to boot the fish back into the water. I doubt it would have survived without serious injury if at all. The female then cackled all the louder = kicker-boy’s objective achieved?

Am I unreasonable in wanting to kick all said yoofs into the water? It just made me feel sick. Cruelty aside, just the lack of respect for their ‘quarry’ put me off my fish and chips. Then I thought of the fish that had suffocated in order to feed me. Then I ate it (whilst making vows to in future line-catch my own fish yet Fruit-Ninja them mid-air so they’re dead even before they land)

Anyhow, after the fish-kicker incident we hung around glaring for a while, made it look like were making phone calls and taking pics of them (did take a pic of their reg no.) at which point they all calmed down and tried to make like serious fishermen.

(Mutter mutter)

tiggs121
    Free Member

Not at all unreasonable. You could try involving plod but without pics or video the yoofs will claim none of it happened. They don’t know you didn’t film it of course.

njee20
    Free Member

Hang on… Your fish dinner was ruined because someone killed a fish?

New level of middle class indignation here.

bigjim

Report it to the fishery manager if there is one, they won’t want their fish being killed by idiots.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’d not just the fish you ate that died so you could experience this cognitive dissonance http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/factory-farming/fish/commercial-fishing/

Stevet1
    Free Member

It’s okay to eat fish because they don’t have any feelings.

kicking them though – I’d have* hoofed them all in the slats

*daydreamed about before coming back to reality where these things don’t end well.

tyrionl1
    Free Member

Fish murderers, should all be burned alive.

DezB
    Free Member

You didn’t read the second paragraph where this is covered in detail?

Kids show off to girlz, we’ve all done it.
    [edit]not necessarily by booting fish in public, of course

Cougar

I’m not sure as I understand the distinction between maiming a fish with a hook and maiming a fish with a size nine, TBH. In fact, given the choice between a kick in the ribs and swallowing a fish hook I’d probably choose the boot.

Fishing for food, fair enough. Fishing for sport is just weird, I don’t get it. There was a couple of lads fishing in the lake next to where we were staying on holiday recently, must’ve been there for eleven hours one day. Far as I could tell it was an excuse to sit in the sun drinking, which is exactly what we were doing only without hundreds of pounds worth of gear and an annoying thing that beeped loudly every half an hour or so.

jambourgie
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

😆

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’d not just the fish you ate that died so you could experience this cognitive dissonance http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/factory-farming/fish/commercial-fishing/

No, it isn’t

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t let your morals rub off on anyone else I say 😉

DezB
    Free Member

And I never realised Cougar was a fish.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’m not sure as I understand the distinction between maiming a fish with a hook and maiming a fish with a size nine

Really, you can’t see a difference?

Cougar

Well, yes, of course I can see a difference. I’m just not really sure why one situation would inspire someone to want to assault a group of teenagers and then take to the Internet about it, yet the other is seen as a perfectly normal way of spending an afternoon.

Perhaps you could explain what I’ve missed?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Perhaps you could explain what I’ve missed?

Perhaps you could just think about it yourself for a bit longer. Or are you just after the argument?

hooli

Far as I could tell it was an excuse to sit in the sun drinking, which is exactly what we were doing only without hundreds of pounds worth of gear

You do realise this is a MTB forum? The same sport that means we spend thousands of pounds on bikes that we put in/on a car and drive to places where we ride around in circles getting muddy and possibly hurting ourselves before driving home again? 😆

Cougar

Perhaps you could just think about it yourself for a bit longer. Or are you just after the argument?

Well, I have paid for the full half hour.

We could pay guessing games, or you could just tell me?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Cougar – sometimes you make me wonder what criterion you met in order to become a moderator.

I emergency stopped the other day as a small lizard ran across the road. I couldn’t bear the idea of running it over. At the same tie, I have unfeelingly (if that’s the right word) shot rabbits and pheasants and thought nothing but ‘mmmmmm’.

One is for survival. I’m not saying if I hadn’t shot the animals I’d have died, I’m saying that if we don’t eat we die. The other, the fish-booting, was disgusting; cruelty for entertainment.

bearnecessities

Criterion? Criterion?!

If we’re only allowed one, I’m going with pedantic 🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’m sure there could be a whip-round to rustle you up a refund. I don’t need to guess anything, I can work my way very easily to a point where numerous philosophical distinctions, similarities and abstract variations all present themselves. You could, too, I’m sure, you just seem to prefer the bellicose option.

Stevet1
    Free Member

From the fishes point of view, probably not a lot.
    From the perspective of inferring something about the mindset of the individual – a massive difference.

DezB
    Free Member

Cougar – sometimes you make me wonder what criterion you met in order to become a moderator. I emergency stopped the other day as a small lizard ran across the road.

My favourite paragraph of the day.

binners

Could’ve been worse….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQKk99I3wTQ[/video]

😆

slowoldman

There are varying scales of fish abuse.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I think we need to put this thread to bed and stop carping on about it.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

haha DezB.

I should say that a small lizard over here is 1′ long! I did stand the truck on end rather than run it over though.

@bearnecessities – I deliberately chose the singular.

Cougar

Cougar – sometimes you make me wonder what criterion you met in order to become a moderator.

An ability to read, for one. To wit,

One is for survival. I’m not saying if I hadn’t shot the animals I’d have died, I’m saying that if we don’t eat we die. The other, the fish-booting, was disgusting; cruelty for entertainment.

… I already covered.

Cougar – Moderator
    I’m not sure as I understand the distinction between maiming a fish with a hook and maiming a fish with a size nine, TBH. In fact, given the choice between a kick in the ribs and swallowing a fish hook I’d probably choose the boot.

Fishing for food, fair enough. Fishing for sport is just weird, I don’t get it.

I was, specifically, talking about fishing for “sport” rather than dinner.

If we’re only allowed one, I’m going with pedantic

Aw, I was hoping for sardonic.

wwaswas

I did stand the truck on end rather than run it over though.

makecoldplayhistory – never run over a lizard, seen hundreds of accidents in his rear view mirror 😉

bearnecessities

I’m a bit sunstrokey, but can this be summarised by simply saying it was just kids looking for fish ‘n’ kicks?

Cougar

I should say that a small lizard over here is 1′ long!

I used to have one much smaller than that. In fact, it was my newt.

(Well, it’s better than a fish pun…)

DezB
    Free Member

sometimes you make me wonder what criterion you met in order to become a moderator

Read Cougar’s last post and you wonder no more 😆

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Good joke bearnec….

But on original point of OP…gotta say i have never quite understood the logic of punishing a violent act with another act of violence… Seems a bit contradictory to me….

grum
    Free Member

I emergency stopped the other day as a small lizard ran across the road. I couldn’t bear the idea of running it over. At the same tie, I have unfeelingly (if that’s the right word) shot rabbits and pheasants and thought nothing but ‘mmmmmm’.

You say this as if it’s obviously correct for you to feel this way, and that anyone who disagrees must be a fool. It’s actually totally illogical and ridiculous.

You killed the rabbits and pheasants for fun, not for ‘survival’. Hopefully you ate them afterwards but you still killed stuff for fun. ‘Cruelty for entertainment’.

johndoh
    Free Member

I used to throw minnows that I’d caught whilst fishing off a bridge onto the road then have bets with my mate about how many cars would pass by until they got run over.

Not saying kicking a fish or allowing them to be run over is right, but it’s what some kids do.

Cougar

You killed the rabbits and pheasants for fun, not for ‘survival’.

It’s not survival, of course, unless you live in the middle of the Outback or something. Plenty of people manage to go their whole lives without personally killing their own food, and some even manage not to eat meat at all and still survive! Wacky concept, right?!

But, it is at least justifiable. I mean, if if you’re going to eat a rabbit, surely it’s laudable to catch, kill and prep it yourself rather than buy it clingfilmed into neat little cubes by someone who’s taken care of all the wetwork for you?

That’s something else I’ve never really understood, people who are squeamish about meat but still eat it.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Three_Fish – Member

This thread just gets sillier and sillier 😀

grum
    Free Member

But, it is at least justifiable. I mean, if if you’re going to eat a rabbit, surely it’s laudable to catch, kill and prep it yourself rather than buy it clingfilmed into neat little cubes by someone who’s taken care of all the wetwork for you?

That’s something else I’ve never really understood, people who are squeamish about meat but still eat it.

I’m not remotely squeamish and have caught, killed, prepped, cooked and eaten plenty of fish (never other animals but I don’t really have a problem with it).

It’s still killing for fun though – I don’t see a massive difference between that and kicking a fish (not saying they are exactly the same either).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

With a bit of luck & good management I’ll be killing loads of fish on Friday with a bash over the head with a sawn off, ex prison pool cue.
    Any fish that gets it will be edible sea fish of legal size. Any ‘by catch’ will be hopefully released unharmed & without abuse or laughter.

Still a couple of places left on the boat, ‘Wandering Star’, 07.30, Hartlepool Marina, Friday 3rd July.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Fish and chips ruined by fish-kicker’ is closed to new replies.