Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Firstest World Problem Ever
  • prawny

We live in a modest, some might even call it small, semi-detached house and have a small BMW parked on the drive. So most negatives ticked already.

Thing is, I like my house, it’s in a good place, and it’s roomy, so I’m not desperate to get into more debt to tick that box. I also like cars, so I bought a BMW, not a good one, I’m not that rich. It was second hand, and it’s got a small diesel engine, it’s even front wheel drive FFS, I’m not precious over it at all.

The massive problem I (specifically me here) is the registration number. It ends AWY, Mrs Prawny’s first name is Amy. It has come to my attention this week that on a number of occasions people have thought we’d got a private plate on it.

This is bad on two counts.
    1. I’m not a fan of private plates, fine if you want one it’s up to you, but I will probably say things about you when you’re not around 😉
    2. People are assuming I’m the sort of person that would not only buy a private plate, but that I’d be tight enough to buy one that doesn’t even spell the right name.

It’s bothering me a bit, I don’t want people to think I’m a tit, but I’m aware now that people who know us will think we’re cheap ****.

Is there anything I can do? Will the DVLA just let me have a different number?

Jon Torrens
    ?

@JonTorrens
    8 Mar 2013

Replying to @DaveGorman
    @DaveGorman No, you are entirely correct to think this. Personalised number plates are the equivalent of walking around with your nob out.

Argh! I’ve even put it in the wrong forum, shoot me now.

Rubber_Buccaneer

equivalent of walking around with your nob out.

See, you can’t go making assumptions. Bloke I know was randomly attacked whilst having a pee in a pub toilet. Some good samaritan found him on the floor a little bloodied and beaten, helped him to his feet and checked he was OK. It was only when they had walked back into the bar that the good samaritan took a look at him and said ‘oi mate, yer nob’s still hanging out!’. I don’t think it was a case of showing off

wiggles
    Free Member

if it looks like a name enough you might be able to sell it.

taxi25
    Free Member

It’s bothering me a bit, I don’t want people to think I’m a tit, but I’m aware now that people who know us will think we’re cheap ****.

Just buy one that says AMY then. Problem sorted, but honestly nobody really cares what your plate says or doesn’t say.

philjunior
    Free Member

Mine ends in GYS, hence the jizzmobile. I don’t think anyone even knows it’s not a private plate (it’s not a beemer though)

Daffy

Is there anything I can do?

Care less?

woodster

You like cars and you bought a Nan-series? You’ve got bigger problems.

docgeoffyjones

Change your wife’s name

prawny

Just buy one that says AMY then

Never!!!!

prawny

Daffy – I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

Woodster – it’s a nice place to be, we’ve got two smallish kids and Mrs P has a bad back. It was this, an X3 or a C-Max. I think it was the most sensible option.

docgeoffyjones – Member
    Change your wife‘s name

Thinking outside the box – I like it.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Mine has these letters in it ..
    *J**UDO.
    It’s not a private plate but looks like one and if it makes some folks think I’m a hard bastard then that’s fine by me 8)
    ( I’m not by the way ) 😀

tmb467
    Free Member

ironically – you’re probably going to need a de-personalised plate

its just as expensive as a personalised one, but you’re now paying for the privilege NOT to appear like you’ve got one

Alanis Morissette, where are you now

docgeoffyjones

Ironically-Alanis Morissette knows nothing about irony.

prawny

Looks like new car time 😆

docgeoffyjones

http://www.theukdeedpolloffice.co.uk/

Only £15……… unless you are to tight

prawny

I’ll just get a new wife, it’ll be cheaper. At least in the short term.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I had a car with a private reg, it wasn’t my private reg, the previous owners one.

It made me very self conscious in case people thought it was my private reg, sold the car a year later

I originally had intentions to get rid of the reg via the dvla but it was going to cost £300? So I never bothered.

sherco
    Free Member

Front wheel drive BMW what model is that then ?….2 series

matt_outandabout

Is divorce an option?

robertgray05
    Free Member

I also have a non-private plate with my initials on, and also fear people think I’m a knob

They might be right regardless

prawny

sherco – Member
    Front wheel drive BMW what model is that then ?….2 series

This bad boy, but in an odd blue/grey colour. Same wheels too, stupid expesive tyres.

docgeoffyjones

Is divorce an option?

what if she gets to keeps the car in the divorce?

Junkyard
    Free Member

she should after all its named after her

docgeoffyjones

🙂

docrobster
    Free Member

Oh I feel your pain. I drive a 9 year old Mazda 2, the numberplate starts YR08.
    My daughter asked if I’d got one with my name on it in purpose.
    The awful shame!
    Yours, Rob

beej

Mine looks to be a number plate version of “BUGGER”, to the point where a colleague thought I was winding him up when he asked for my reg to book some parking. A few others have commented too.

Car bought 2nd hand, not a private plate.

I quite like it though.

Cougar

There’s precisely one person in the world who gives a toss about a personalised reg, and that’s the person who paid for it.

AWY looks nothing like Amy anyway.

giantalkali
    Free Member

My plate vaguely says RosieJizz, make of that what you will.

Cheers
    Rosy

jimmy

Don’t worry what people think of you.

They’re too busy worrying about what you think of them.

A quote from somewhere which has always stuck with me.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

AWY looks nothing like Amy anyway.

Spin the W around, you know you want to 😉

funkmasterp

I had a Fiat Siecento that had done 25k miles and cost me £300. By far the best thing about it was the reg ending in LSD.

maxtorque

You bought a fwd BMW and you think the “Numberplate” makes you look like a Nob?? 😆

IdleJon

This bad boy, but in an odd blue/grey colour. Same wheels too, stupid expesive tyres.

I had one as a courtesy car when the 520 was having work done on it. The kids loved it, especially the cream leather. I couldn’t work out what it was for.(The car and the colour of the seats…)

prawny

It’s a decent car, yes it’s not a ‘proper BMW’ but it is a much nicer than a ford comfy hatchback with a not too low seating position that is not a boat to drive. The interior is loads nicer inside than the VW/Audi/Merc competition.

We had a 3 series before and we loved it, but getting in and out crippled Mrs P, 5 series was no better and too big, X3 was waaaay overpriced compared to the normal cars, this was cheap, comfy, quick enough and I can sling my bike in the back.

It works in the snow too 8)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Take a long answer? As you well know, this minor distraction is merely a symptom of a larger issue. You may well be projecting (ie you may customarily make assumptions and take careful notes or judge others re their houses and cars, ergo you imagine that we all give it equal thought and make similar assumptions. We dont, BTW). Or ‘people that know you’ are vapid, shallow, judgemental types? I’m just riffing. IANAShrink. Anyhoops, this is a thoughtful watch IMO.

[video]https://youtu.be/X75Roe_davA[/video]

Cougar

Spin the W around, you know you want to

Well gee, I’m totally glad you pointed that out, I’d never have noticed otherwise.

Poopscoop

Are you absolutely sure that’s not a Picasso?

(I own an Agila so the number plate is irrelevant as long as it has one.)

natrix
    Free Member

Get some old fashioned bumper stickers ‘My other car’s a porsche’ ‘I slow down for whores’ ‘Ass, grass or cash, nobody rides for free’

Nobody will be looking at your number plate……… 😀

slackalice
    Free Member

When I was in my 20’s, I thought everyone was judging me.
    When I was in my 40’s, I no longer cared that everyone was judging me.
    Now I’m in my 50’s, I realise they weren’t judging me at all, they’re too busy judging themselves.

Or something like that.

OP, live your own life.

hodgynd
    Free Member

And when you are in your sixties you don’t give a **** what anyone thinks ..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Firstest World Problem Ever’ is closed to new replies.