Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • First world radio problems
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Really upset this morning, they’ve turned off Xfm in my area on DAB. That was the only radio station I’ve ever regularly enjoyed. I was buying a couple of great albums a month from listening to it. Before I hadn’t bought an album for many years.

So, what else? 6 music is on but is playing old stuff and talking a lot, pissing me off. Or do I just need an internet radio?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I like Absolute ’80’s and Absolute ’90’s.

soobalias
    Free Member

really, where did they turn xfm off?

i have a logitech squeezebox, using the listen again thing….. last nights Remix was all about DJ Shadow.

nice.

zippykona

Can you get kerrang? That’s more xfm than 6.
    I loved xfm before it got a licence and right up to the day capital bought it.
    They went from “what’s the noisiest hardest stuff we can get away with” to playing eagle eye cherry over night.
    “Crap on the radio”. (You’d need to be old to understand that.)

Cougar

Planet Rock, Real Radio XS, Absolute Rock.

Is Team Rock Radio on DAB yet? That’s supposed to be good.

I can’t listen to Kerrang; nothing to do with what they play, but the broadcast quality is terrible.

dmorts

Internet radio is the way forward. The sooner this country drops DAB the better, it’s old, old tech. The codec is from the 1980s and has been superceded many times over. I’m not saying digital radio is dead, just that DAB is.

Stick with FM and internet, they’re not going to be able to turn off national stations from FM for a long while yet, despite what the government say they want to do.

Heard some minister/advisor on Radio 4 talking about this switch over last Friday, he was so out of touch it was laughable. Pushing DAB on us is like trying to get us to go from Blu-ray to Betamax

leffeboy

Internet radio ftw. I’m off to look up xfm now as need a change from 6, tx

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Internet radio rocks!

181.FM 80’s Hairband for some proper cheesy rockin’!!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, also heard the ad saying DAB Xfm was being switched off. 🙁 I’m not an avid listener, but occasionally liked to listen in the kitchen fo when you just want a bit of IndiePopRock-ish music to sing along to. I know it was better before Capital bought it, but it still wasn’t so bad.

molgrips
    Free Member

For me it played loads of music I wanted tobuy, which was great. I’ve nothing against FM in principle but there is never anything on I wnt to listen to (South Wales btw). I fancied an internet radio anyway but I was also going to get DAB for the car. I don’t care so much about the audio quality, it’sthe choice of stations.

Furious

Is Team Rock Radio on DAB yet? That’s supposed to be good.

Yes. And it’s pretty damn good. No adverts either which is a real bonus

loum
    Free Member

Saturday mornings – Absolute is good.
    Frank Skinner. Good banter, and the music seems a little better than their other days.
    He was sorting out the classic scone pronunciation/jam cream double dilemma the other week too.

wooobob

Internet radio is amazing. You can have breakfast in Brazil, lunch in Latvia, listen to as much bluegrass as you can handle, then dip a toe into jazz funk, then some pre-dinner punk, whatever you like. Plus there’s usually very little, if any, talking. Ideal if, like me, you can’t stand inane chuntering where there should be music!

I like Folk Radio UK, Devil’s Night radio, and the umpteen dedicated blues channels. Never a dull moment 8)

One option might be to plug a smartphone/tablet into your amp/speakers, and use the TuneIn app.

Or get Spotify Premium [EDIT although that’s obviously a different thing again.]

molgrips
    Free Member

I hate **** banter.

I could use a smartphone etc to stream music, but that’s such a faff. I want to walk into the kitchen and press a button, not **** about with apps and peripherals and crap.

CountZero

So, what else? 6 music is on but is playing old stuff and talking a lot, pissing me off. Or do I just need an internet radio?

Really? How much old stuff? I’ve got a list of at least ten songs/artists on paper and Shazam, (paper because Shazam hasn’t even caught up with them), from the last two or three days on 6, all of them people I’ve never heard of before.
    Of course 6 plays older stuff, but even then it’s always quality.
    If you don’t like people talking on the radio, I suggest you get an iPod Classic, fill it up with music, then stick it on shuffle.
    As far as Internet radio being the future, what joker thinks this is practical? How, exactly, are people going to receive it? Mobile? You gotta be kidding, right? 70% of the population don’t have a 3G mobile signal in the UK, 20% don’t even have 2G! Then there’s the 1Gb monthly cap on data. Yeah, I know 3 offer unlimited data, but their coverage is woefully inadequate, even around fairly populous towns. Wifi? Yeah, right, what wifi.
    I can only think that people who wiffle on about Internet radio live in large urban areas with good wireless broadband, lots of free wifi hotspots, and can afford to pay extortionate rates for cellular data.
    The rest of us have to make do with Radio 1/2, or shite commercial radio, then, instead of getting quality digital stations on DAB?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘First world radio problems’ is closed to new replies.