Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • First world problems… new coffee beans
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

I usually get the happy donkey classic Italian beans but thought I’d try the Sumatran Mocha this time. Usually with different beans it’s just a little tweak, but they seem a lot harder and I just can’t get the grind and tamp right and with a bottomless filter this makes a right mess.

Nothing for it but to set aside an bit of time to properly tune the grinder to the new beans.

TooTall
    Free Member

Don’t you check this sort of thing every time you back-flush your coffee machine? Stopwatch and lined glass?

Mocha – pfffft.

mrblobby
    Free Member

*ahem* it’s been a while since I’ve back flushed 😳

It’s going to be lined glasses and stopwatch time tonight. Might be tricky though as I am banned from grinding after baby blobby has gone to bed.

MrSmith
    Free Member

surely your grind will change between batches and as the beans age?
    even if i stick with the same blend/supplier there’s always a tweak by a turn or 2 on the grinder (ascaso) with each new bag, usually get it spot within 1-2 shots.

mrblobby
    Free Member

MrSmith, I think I’ve tweaked to the point of having to go back to basics and start again.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Right all sorted now. Getting a lovely shot. Not sure if I prefer it to the classic italian, it’s definitely more intense, less mellow. Anyway got 4 bags of it to decide 🙂

Found this to be quite a handy guide to sorting out problems with my naked extraction.

molgrips
    Free Member

Different coffees produce different results.

Some coffees not meant for espresso.

cranberry
    Free Member

Right all sorted now.

I think that I can say, on behalf of all of us who have been pacing the floor during the early morning hours over the last 3 days worrying about whether or not you would _ever_ get the right grind and tamp, thank goodness for that.

Tonight I shall sleep well.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cranberry, this update was so that all you concerned individuals can now rest easy 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Molgrips, indeed they do. Recommend you ditch the starbucks beans and get yourself some Sumatran Mocha.

molgrips
    Free Member

I get the starbucks beans because the wife likes them (as do I) and they are available in Asda. Ordering online is a faff.

When I want to make the effort I often go to Whittards.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Happy donkey are actually pretty good and very little faff. Not sure who they use to deliver but you get an hour slot a day before and it turns up when they say it will. It’s definitely no city link!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘First world problems… new coffee beans’ is closed to new replies.