Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • First World Problems – Electric garage door not working
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Tried to open it last night, light on (both) remotes coming on so I think they are working. Got in the garage and checked the fuse and that was fine. No sound (ie, not a thing, just totally dead), no explosion or smoking motor, just entirely dead.

So – assuming there is power, where do I start looking for a fault?

footflaps

If you have a multimeter and are happy playing about with live electrics you’d want to see if the motor is getting power from the controller. If not, then the controller is at fault, otherwise the motor has a problem…..

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, multimeters and stuff like that really isn’t my bag.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Not a fat lot you can do other than call the repair man then.

johndoh
    Free Member

Thanks for your valued input Molgrips. 😉

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I have one and there is a diconnect button that disconnects the door from the track that pulls it opn, tbh you usually still hear the track trying to pull, but it might be worth checking you dont have something like that. then check the cable to the plug and is it all plugged in still.

whatever you do, dont open any manuals you have… the only thing that results from that is a headache. I talk from experience.

njee20
    Free Member

Thanks for your valued input Molgrips.

It’s a very valid comment, you’ve basically just said “I have a puncture, how do I fix it, I don’t want to use a pump”!

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah when I press the button nothing happens at all, it’s entirely lifeless. I will be working back from the mains socket to the receiver and on to the motor on Saturday morning to see if there is any suggestion that something might have come loose. I have also heard that some units have surge protectors/RCDs built in so I will have a look to see if mine does (recently moved in so I have no idea of make/model or how it was installed).

EDIT: In fact it might even be on it’s own circuit to power the motor – I am thinking (without checking carefully) that the mains power might be just to power the receiver, not the motor – I seem to recall the electrician we had in recently saying that, so it might be the fuse in the consumer unit that has blown…

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s a very valid comment, you’ve basically just said “I have a puncture, how do I fix it, I don’t want to use a pump”!

I don’t know *how* to use a pump 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Have you turned the opener off then on at the mains ?

<IT Support desk solution #1>

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

yeah if its really silent then power aint getting there at all, maybe something like the fuse or the switch? or maybe the key fob battery? then a phone call. the guys who installed mine where hard to get support from, escalated it and then it happened but was harder work than it should have been.

johndoh
    Free Member

Have you turned the opener off then on at the mains ?

No, definitely on and definitely power there (although see my above edit where I think the motor *may* be on a different circuit to the receiver.

Both key fobs light up when the button is pressed (so powered) and I have stood right next to the receiver through the window and nothing happened so I am pretty sure they are working.

johndoh
    Free Member

So I got home tonight and curiosity made me try again and it worked.

Hmmm

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘First World Problems – Electric garage door not working’ is closed to new replies.