Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • First world problems.. best asking here I guess
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

Dead simple question and one best suited to be answered on here I would imagine

How do you choose between bikes ?

For me its something that annoys me as I see one sat looking all shiny and clean but not getting used for weeks on end making me think sell sell sell ,but when I do get it out my mind set changes.. Am i just fickle

weeksy

Weather and trails

Dry, Whyte T130
    Wet, Parkwood
    Wet and Windy, Zwift on the Isaac

stevedoc
    Free Member

You see both mine are very samey

Alpine five 29er .. big mile munching days out also Lakes days

Orange Five 26 .. again Lakes bike and good for ;long saddle days< big sentiment here for this bike,

mark90
    Free Member

No hard and fast rules but weather and trails do influence choice

The wetter it is the more likely the HT
    The less gnar it is the more likely the HT
    The more local the ride the more likely the HT
    Night rides more likely the HT

It can also just depend on how I’m feeling that day, and as the FS is the ‘new’ bike it’s more often the FS.

medoramas
    Free Member

I always choose the only bike I’ve got 8)

canopy
    Free Member

I’ve got two bikes.. but I only consider the new one the active bike.. the other is just waiting for me to sell or strip/sell.

However, as an comparison. I have 7 guitars hanging on the wall. on the surface there is 1 bass, 3 electrics, 2 acoustics and a resonator. thats 4 ‘usage’ cases.. 1 of the acoustics is a nice sounding dreadnaught, but doesn’t have electrics or a cutaway. the other acoustic has both. and electrics wise.. one strat, one telecaster, one les paul. all very different sounding guitars.

so, pick the right tool for the job.

bikewise.. i want an all-rounder, and hope to just find ‘the one’ each time i upgrade

legend
    Free Member

I just go for a spirited drive in the Macan until the answer comes to me

stevedoc
    Free Member

That’s my problem, trying to justify keeping both .. both do the same thing both make me smile .. should I just shut up

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s usually one with a niggling problem I forgot to fix from last time, so that’s ruled out – so if I’m doing a road ride that’s settled it.

If MTB, there’ll usually be one of the remaining two which is obviously more suitable or which I fancy riding more.

I’ve deliberately got fairly big “gaps” between my MTBs, so I don’t have to agonise over this.

takisawa2

Not BPW: SIR9+.

BPW: Five.

binners

Weather and conditions to disintegrate bearings – hardtail
    The 2 days a year the weather and conditions aren’t going to disintegrate bearings – cosseted bouncy bike

geoffj

I always choose the only bike I’ve got

Wishes that was me 😥

SirHC

Reign – Steep/rough tracks (Eastridge, Bucknell, Bringewood, Uplifts)
    Smuggler – Flatter, more pedally (FOD, Cannock, etc), midweek xc rides.
    4x Bike – Pumptracks, BMX Tracks

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Easy, I only have one bike.

The road bike doesn’t count 🙂

Yak

Winter/mucky weather/long rides/short rides/kids rides – singlespeed
    Other rides – geared hardtail.

ads678

Big days out or mainly down hill = 160mm FS

Most other stuff = HT (at the moment Ragley blue pig, but next spring(ish) will be a cotic solaris I think)

thepodge
    Free Member

Roughly

Under 2 hours Hardtail
    Over 2 hours Full suspension

amedias
    Free Member

It normally comes down to being in a hurry and whichever is easiest to extract from the pile, sometimes I re-arrange the pile, and no matter how I re-arrange the pile the Wife’s bikes are always in the way 😕

stevedoc
    Free Member

So many cries for HT use yet I just don’t get on with them. I have considered going full fat but I believe once you go full you never go back … I think that’s how I heard it

tomhoward

Bigger/DH trails – Nomad
    Normal trails, feeling up for it – 5010
    Normal trails, out for a laugh – Fatboy
    Normal trails, not feeling up for it – Turbo Levo FSR
    Raining/winter road – Trek 1.5
    Summer road – Madone

angeldust
    Free Member

I just go for a spirited drive in the Macan until the answer comes to me

😀

jam-bo

outside: mtb
    inside: turbo

edlong
    Free Member

=IF(“Going off-road”=YES,MTB,ROAD BIKE)

Stevet1
    Free Member

Local rides – hardtail
    drops and jumps – hardtail
    smooth DH – hardtail
    Rocky DH – full sus
    full days out – hardtail or full sus depending on whatever feels right.
    At least that’s what it normally works out to be, but it’s not like I have rules or anything…just ride whichever you feel like, sometimes a ride on the ‘wrong’ bike can be great fun.

TiRed

offroad:
    1) mtb
    2) cross race = cross bike
    3) canal path = cross bike

onroad:
    1) winter = winter road bike or fixed road bike
    2) summer = nice bike
    3) commute = fixed wheel or see 1) for faster club night
    4) race = race bike
    5) at sister’s = old race bike
    6) need happy = recumbent trike
    7) track = track bike
    8) time trial = TT bike
    9) bimble to town = recumbent trike

The cross bike is a new addition, previously mtb was for all offroad duties. They all get ridden.

core

Trail centre/BPW/techy/rocky – Full Sus (26″ Zesty)
    From the door/XC/marathon event/less techy trails – Hardtail (29″ Scandal)

I don’t really want to be riding the Zesty in real gloop and clay and crap, so would rather then Scandal when it’s like that, but I don’t really like it on techy stuff, I have fast rolling summery tyres on it that I don’t wan’t to swap, and it’s a bit steep.

The above two bikes are excellent, but a bit at either end of what I ride. I should really just have a modern 120-130mm 650b hardtail to do the lot. But that’d be boring.

If anyone has a large 26″ Soul frame I’m after one!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Easy choice atm as injured and no cycling for foreseeable. But usually two (completely different type) bikes are used. Can only use one at a time. This makes things simpler.

1. Shopping/visiting locally – the utility bike. (3spd hub geared, hub dynamo lighting, roller brakes, mudguards, racks, kickstand, overbuilt step-thru frame with huge and stable luggage-carrying capacity. Integrated locks. Also largely maintenance free,

2. All other stuff – the ATB. (29er rigid 2×10)

Simple*

*Ignoring the retro hybrid that remains only for sentimental reasons. Need to make a move on that 🙁 **

** And the retro Raleigh road bike given me by a dear friend (albeit in need of restoring)***

***And the 26er Cannondale MTB that needs selling as is too small.

Simple!

mcnultycop

Whichever is least broken. I then pick terrain to suit the bike.

jambalaya
    Free Member

BFe and Covert

BFe 90% of the time (Surrey Hills, XC, even road), Covert ridden on holiday and occasional trip to “bigger” terrain. That or whatever I have locally as each bike is at a different place. Torn between getting another hardtail (Soul) or FS (Bandit) … bidding on both and will buy whatever comes up first

Murray

Camber – I’m going for a ride
    Genesis Zero – I’m going for a ride to a pub

Onzadog
    Free Member

Normally, I pick the one that’s closest to needing some work or a clean.

breadcrumb

Trail centres- Solaris
    Quick blast- Solaris
    Big off road loop- Solaris
    Techy Lakes ride- Solaris
    Commute- Arkose

metalheart
    Free Member

Quick scoot and reasonably dry – Sherpa B+

Bikepacking/muddy – Solaris 29er (paintwork ****-ed due to front roll contact points 😥 )

Commuting – TCX (only bike with neat enough bars to fit in the bike locker)

Road – probably the Solaris…. 😆

timidwheeler

160mm full sus for most off-road stuff. CX bike for everything else.

soundninjauk

On the road? Take the Whyte Suffolk. Not on the road, take the Whyte G150. Simples.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Sort of a mixture of what the weathers doing and what type of trials.
    But also my mood or which bike is working can change things a lot

Nope does not help at all

Only hard rule is summer road bike does not get dirty / rained on

Northwind

A big part of it for me is who I’m riding with. This could sound a bit awful but it’s true, if I’m riding with slower/less good mates I’ll often take the fatbike as a handicap. Not just as a handicap, I love riding it, but it reduces the gap and that’s good, it means we’re riding more together.

If I’m riding with better riders or by myself, more often than not I take the #enduro bike, because I want the skill compensator and generally I just want to go as hard at is as I feel like.

beej

Road
    Good summer weather but more of a training ride, or turbo duties: the CR1
    Best bike for the mountains or big event bike: The Izalco
    Group rides when I’m not trying too hard, probably a cafe stop: The Orca
    Winter/wet/damp training: The Milanino
    Recovery rides: Guerciotti
    Going to town: Paddy Wagon

MTB
    Longer rides, proper MTB trails: Anthem
    Shorter, filthy weather: Inbred SS

Other
    The Frankenstein Kaffenback SS Cross

Easy really.

deviant
    Free Member

Shitty weather=HT Dartmoor Hornet
    Just for laughs and to make me concentrate on uplift days=HT Dartmoor Hornet

Cosseted easy ride, perfect weather and those great days on a bike=FS Giant Trance SX with 160mm fork and slacker head angle than the HT (i think)
    I don’t take it out in crap weather, it was a lovely project build by buying the frame alone and spending the best part of 12 months selecting parts and putting it together….it’s lovely, I’m running X-fusion suspension front and rear, latest Shimano XT brakes, Sunrace 10 speed cassette with 11-42 gears, Shimano 10 speed shifters, Hope single ring front setup, Nukeproof 40mm stem and Nukeproof 780mm bars, SLX cranks, 35mm wide rims from Superstar built up with Novatec hubs, dropper post obviously, Charge saddle, Maxxis Shorty front tyre, Maxxis DHR2 out back, rear shock mod with the 200×51 replaced with a 200×57 giving me around 155mm travel as opposed to the standard 140mm for a Trance, Renthal grips…. I’m a bit precious about it as you can probably tell, it’s bloody lovely and very much ‘my’ bike and pretty unique…it lives indoors much to my better half’s disgust…the HT lives in the shed.

stevedoc
    Free Member

My two bike are not that different ,both 150mm front and 140 rear , both single pivot cabinets juts one is old school 26 the other 29,and after reading and taking time to think i could not choose between either, both have there place. the Small Five more suited for general hooligan days rock smashing with the other nutters ,the 29er for big days where distance if greater yet the need for big bounce is still there

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘First world problems.. best asking here I guess’ is closed to new replies.