Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • First visit to a hospice
  • cinnamon_girl

Wow, what an amazing place together with amazing staff and volunteers. In fact it was more like a hotel.

Volunteer hairdresser accompanied by her friendly dog, no charge for patients. Small gardens all maintained by volunteers and overlooked by a most pleasant conservatory. Nurses were so helpful, nothing was too much trouble as the patient was the priority.

Partly funded by local authority with the remainder coming from donations/fundraising efforts.

Was secretly dreading visiting but needn’t have worried, such generous and public-spirited people restored my faith in human nature.

globalti
    Free Member

My MIL spent one day a week at a hospice while she was staying with us and receiving chemo. She loved it; it was like a little holiday for her. It has rather spoiled her because now she’s in a care home and keeps asking why she can’t go back to the hospice instead!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Indeed. I probably give as much to Hospice charities as any other sector. The people who work there and volunteer are amazing and indeed is the attitude of most of the patients.

froggy67
    Free Member

Completely agree with jambalaya, 15 years ago my partner was cared for in one as she lost her fight with cancer. I support them whenever I can.
    Even after all this time there are still a few staff from that time who remember us and ask how I am doing.
    Wonderful people who do a very difficult job.

SaxonRider

Good post.

My dad spent his final days last year in a hospice (the Springhill Hospice in Rochdale), and what was an extremely difficult time was made so much easier by the incredible love and care of the people working there.

I will not forget.

jamj1974

Yes. They can be amazing places. My grandmother spent her last days in one. One of the nicest I have been to was a children’s hospice – full of laughter, love and happiness. Seems strange but it was a lovely place.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I agree Hospices are staffed by wonderful selfless people IMHO. Wigan & Leigh Hospice is a charity I will never think twice about donating to, even though I don’t live anywhere near it. They took such good care of my Dad when he lost his fight with cancer. I will always be in their debt.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘First visit to a hospice’ is closed to new replies.