• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ianv.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • First visit to a climbing wall – what fun!
  • benz
    Free Member

Wife got 4hrs of intro climbing lessons at local centre for my Xmas pressie. Deal was 2 for 1 so she came along to.

First 2 hrs tonight. I’m not great with heights but that seemed to go the first little climb.

Obviously easy stuff for experienced folks but was great fun.

Being closer to 50 than 40 I reckon another pastime may have been found. I also think our 6 year old daughter would give it a bash too.

Just away to practice knots….

Jamie
    Free Member

Just a friendly warning. You WILL be sore tomorrow 8)

stavromuller
    Free Member

If you think MTBers are kit obsessed, climbers take it to a different level (excuse the pun)

jamj1974

It’s good though – worth the aching!

mightymule
    Free Member

Just a friendly warning. You WILL be sore tomorrow

Hell yes!

I did an afternoon on a climbing wall with uni. It was fantastic fun and I loved every minute of it….. until I tried to lift my arms the next day :mrgreen:

chojin
    Free Member

Climbing is muchos fun. Wait until you do your first outdoor climb 🙂

Cougar

Awesome. Which wall?

HB47

If you want to take it to the next level – check out the courses at http://www.pyb.co.uk best place in the UK to learn how to climb safely.

tazzymtb

UK to learn how to climb safely.

noooo, that is path to ron hills, buffalos and biffing up diffs, convinced that you are joe simpson because you’ve got your SPA 😆

much more fun to learn like the old boys, trial, error, lots of scares and the true skill of rockcraft through lots of close scrapes.

If you want safe….sport climb 😀

it is fantastic fun at what ever level though!!

footflaps

2nd PYB, done several courses there on Climbing and Rescue stuff. Best one was Multi-pitch Rescue all done on real climbs – two days of escaping the system and hauling people up / down / sideways across cliffs.

Jamie
    Free Member

Tazzy, earlier:

tazzymtb

jamie, replace the flip flops with 5.10 pink anasazi (still my fave grit rubber) and that’s really rather close!

HB47

Who’s Joe Simpson – try Don Whillans or Joe Brown – first harness was a Whillans sit harness ( the leader never falls, well if you did you never had children ) , day before cams and belay plates (belay round the back)

And as for Sport climbing – bolting should be banned, respect the rock and learn how to place trad gear

CaptJon
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Tazzy, earlier:

Someone’s been on reddit this evening…

tazzymtb

And as for Sport climbing – bolting should be banned, respect the rock and learn how to place trad gear

totally agree, even more fun climbing delicate sandstone using knotted cords instead of a trad rack. Some mad Polish buggers taught me that. 😯

Markie
    Free Member

Would someone please post a link to the climbing reddit? Thanks!

CaptJon
    Free Member

/r/climbing

mikewsmith
    Free Member

that and suspension 29’s and tubeless tyres 🙂

Sport has it’s place, and it’s a good place.

jam-bo

Bet your one of those types who thinks trial centres and suspension is the scourge of mountain biking…

tazzymtb

sport climbing

trad biffing

😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Someone’s been on reddit this evening…

?_?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I would also say if you want to do any outdoors, either go to spain and clip bolts or get some good waterproofs 🙂

Failing that a good course with any good MIA is worth it. An SPA is not a leaning to climb badge, it’s an instructing qualification and really should be fore people who know how to climb already.

HB47

Jam bo , pay up I love trail centers ( not so sure about trial centres) and love most MTBs ( I draw the line at tandems ) but when people start blotting routes which can be safely lead on trad gear then I draw a line.

CaptJon
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JPpM1nFLAE[/video]

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with biffing

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I started year and half ago bouldering with my daughter… Up to then I’d been mountain biking for about 18 odd years. This week I cycled ten miles to work each day and climbed four sessions… I guess what I’m saying is that it’s a bit addictive! You’ve been warned!

Climbing is equal to Mtb these days for me. I’m a fairly old fella but loving it. It’s physical but soon also gets mental as you figure out how to do each route. One thing I would say is after biking so long my legs are strong but with climbing I’ve discovered they aren’t awfully flexible, you’ve been warned! 😉

Edit: and watch out … The youngsters are really very good and will whip you’re as$!

ianv
    Free Member

Jam bo , pay up I love trail centers ( not so sure about trial centres) and love most MTBs ( I draw the line at tandems ) but when people start blotting routes which can be safely lead on trad gear then I draw a line.

Have you ever climbed anything hard on limestone? The routes are totally unprotectable without bolts. Bolts have been responsible for the vast majority of progression in the sport since the mid 80s and as such definitely have a very important place in climbing. The hilti was the best bit of climbing gear ever invented. 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘First visit to a climbing wall – what fun!’ is closed to new replies.