Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • First try clipped in
  • Highland28
    Free Member

Had my first ride with clipless pedals today at glentress, I was a little apprehensive to begin with. Found the slightly more techy sections a bit harder as I am used to being able to just stick my foot out if i do begin to go, managed to get over all the skinnies though and began to get used to them, I definitely noticed the difference while climbing and the change of technique when out of the saddle, having spent the last 5/6 years on flats i think i will be sticking with clips for when doing not so techy rides but the flats will be back on for the very difficult routes.

southernsteel
    Free Member

Did you manage to avoid comedy falls then when stopping? When I started I kept forgetting I was clipped in and just fell over all the time- often trapping my loose foot under me and the bike. I did get quite good at catching myself in a press up fashion though.
    I love being clipped in for the rocky downs though. SO much more control.

Highland28
    Free Member

Nearly, had one stop where i removed my left foot, put it down but then began to fall to the right, ha, ended up with a mud covered glove which gave my dad something to chuckle at, and had another couple of close calls but all in all it didnt go too badly, i even forgot i was clipped in when coming down, but felt the bike was much easier to put where i wanted it to be.

rp16v
    Free Member

i had the same situation when i first changed over after being on flats all my life but my climbing has improved loads,admitedley il lost confidnce in other areas but going to stick with it and build it back up i found the big change was going from lace up shoes to a 3strap style shoe its a totaly diffrent feel for the better.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I find it improves you balance on the bike ….cos you know you can’t dab so easily

Squirrel

It takes a while to get used to SPD’s. Once you do you will relax. Then you start falling off 😀

ronjeremy
    Free Member

i still at times unclip one side and then fall the opposite way, but then i am generally clumsy!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘First try clipped in’ is closed to new replies.