Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • First time up helvellyn
  • andybrad

As title really. Hoping to come down sticks pass at the weekend. Any tips / advice.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Do it twice, it’s not a big climb.

If there is a view, ride the plateau, it’s stunning.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Get cheeky and head over to “Seldom Seen” before you get to the Youth Hostel (assuming you’re heading back down towards Ullswater and not Thirlmere).

madedgar
    Free Member

I’m going up as well for he first time this weekend. Might see you up there Andybrad!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do it twice, it’s not a big climb

750 m to the top[ helvelyyn] iirc and certainly my biggest climb on a bike on Strava.

Takes about 2 hours to the very top – though you might get down to 1 hr 30 if you dont stop. so about an hour ish to the turn for the pass on the plateau? Done seldom seen does not stick in my mind.

All other descents require you to be a very very good rider to get down and a superb one to enjoy rather than be relieved.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

2 hours is good going, depending on the route up. If you go up the Kepple Cove zigzags, then Sticks pass and Helvellyn are in opposite directions when you’ve climbed them.

Dont reckon I could get up Patterdale, to Grisedale Tarn and up the steps to the summit in 2 hours, with or without a bike – not if I wanted to enjoy it in any case.

Seldom Seen is a good alternative to the bottom part of Sticks – up to you, but it is a footpath. Make a decision here: http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=335749&Y=518302&A=Y&Z=120

Junkyard
    Free Member

2 hours is good going

up the zig zags route.

I am not quick I am perfectly middle of the pack – 210 /425 on strava and the record is 1hr 3 mins [ just checked]

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I dont think those that time climbs on Strava are a representative sample of the general riding population. And knowing that Strava is running tends to be a motivating factor too.

Probably depends on whether you are a) fit enough and/or b) have the right gear ratios to climb the zigzags – I fail on both accounts, but have always enjoyed walking in the mountains, with or without my bike.

I have cleared most of the Grisedale Tarn route down though, if a little willy waving is called for.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No one can climb the zig zags IMHO . I cannot even push up without stopping.

AlexSimon

I have cleared most of the Grisedale Tarn route down though, if a little willy waving is called for.

Talking of willies – I had one dab and one pause for cock bruising pain to die down.
    Love that descent.

Keep meaning to do Sticks, but maybe now that someone has mentioned doing it twice we could go down Sticks, up Keppel, then down Dollywagon/Grisedale.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Last time we hit up Helvellyn, one of our party trashed his regular bike and hire and e fat bike.

It went up the zig zags with aplomb and was a great fun experience that we all took turns on.

What’s the size of your cock got to do with it?

wl
    Free Member

Clearing those zig-zags is for 1 in 1,000 riders, if that (excluding e-bikes, obvs).

postierich
    Free Member

I,ve seen someone clean the zig zags!!!

Do seldom scene its bedding in nicely don’t fall off though as you will look silly when mountain rescue get to you, we had to carrying someone down with a broken ankle and that hurt!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/VQvEgR]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/QZvTu5]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

augustuswindsock

Is seldom seen worth doing? Posted this before I saw the pic’s, looks like it is!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not amazing or anything, but it’s better than descending the road from the yh.

simondbarnes

Dont reckon I could get up Patterdale, to Grisedale Tarn and up the steps to the summit in 2 hours

Took me about 3 hours 20 when I did it in the summer 🙂

Edit : Oops, didn’t come from Patterdale. Started in Grasmere.

Was worth it though!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WA3DJE]DSCF6403[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

higgo
    Free Member

….

tomaso
    Free Member

Birkside descent is a cracker, but then you have to climb back up from Thirlmere and that is totally soul crushing.

The fells looked clear today, but you never know what it will be like at the weekend – let alone up top. There are plenty of lower level alternatives if it is low cloud and raging winds.

This is a wee carry but a great downhill

postierich
    Free Member

Were is my bloody helmet!!!

It’s not amazing or anything, but it’s better than descending the road from the yh.

😯

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

A loop I was thinking of was starting at Thirlmere and riding over Dunmail Rise, up Great Tongue to Grisedale Tarn, down to Glenridding, up the zig zags and then down Birk Side to finish, which strikes me as a big ride but not an epic.

I’ve only ever descended from the summit via Dollywagon before (a few times now – I kind of like it for some unknown reason) but Birk Side does appeal as from videos, it looks fantastic but not quite as nutty as Dollywagon; would that be a fair judgement?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

postierich – Member
    Were is my bloody helmet!!!

😆
    I think you’d built up.my expectation too much!

RustySpanner

Bloody hell, I’ve never even considered riding that.
    🙂

Go for a walk instead, enjoy the scenery.

eddie11
    Free Member

patterdale is brilliant, sticks and seldom seen very very good, birkside I’m undecided on.

lowey

If you do Birkside and need to get back to Patterdale / Glenridding, then a the best way is up Raise Beck from the top of Dunmail Raise. You still get to do Grisedale that way, or if you have the legs, St Sunday back.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Cheers Lowey, I guess that way you don’t end up losing height by dropping down the road.

andybrad

postierich – Member
    Do seldom scene its bedding in nicely don’t fall off though as you will look silly when mountain rescue get to you, we had to carrying someone down with a broken ankle and that hurt!

+1000 man points for that. Its what friends are for.

they would have left me on the hill….:)

wl
    Free Member

Is Birkside the one that ends at a car park by Thirlmere, possibly Wythburn – splits off to the right as you head from the summit towards Dollywagon? If so it’s a great descent, but it loses height and is over quite quickly. Dollywagon is doable but a bit dull, in a man-made-steppy sort of way. Challenge is to nail it top to tarn, including all the drainage ditches. It’s one of those downhills that knackers you out. Section from Grizedale onwards is way better IMO. Sticks is mint. Take some warm kit – it can be bloody freezing at the top this time of year, and it’s nice not to have to rush. Enjoy it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Rode down Sticks to Seldom Seen with eddie11 on midsummer’s day.
    Love it.

Lower Man is presently one of my favourite trails

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa0GAR3jjqQ&t=4s[/video]

eddie11
    Free Member

Is Birkside the one that ends at a car park by Thirlmere, possibly Wythburn – splits off to the right as you head from the summit towards Dollywagon?

yes. Id seen a few sections in photos over the years that looked great, and they are, but theres also a lot of steps and it looses height very quickly.

Sanny
    Free Member

I like the Keppel Cove climb and guess I must be one of the few who have ridden it. The secret is reasonable fitness, a steady pace from the start and low gears. I did it using a 20 36 and before anyone decries that it would be quicker walking, errrrr, actually it wasn’t as I dropped my mates who were pushing! 😀

I first rode it on my Turner 5 Spot but have since done it on my Ice Cream Truck fat bike. The wheels may may several kilos each but it was definitely easier on the fat bike. The hardest bits are the steep switchbacks which have eroded a bit over the years. I did push a bit on the second ascent that day as the climb does take it out of you if you go for it!

I reckon most folk get to a point where they spin out and then struggle is to get back on where it is steep and loose.

If anyone can do it on a one by set up, I’ll be seriously impressed!

Cheers

Sanny

philjunior
    Free Member

I like the Keppel Cove climb and guess I must be one of the few who have ridden it. The secret is reasonable fitness, a steady pace from the start and low gears. I did it using a 20 36 and before anyone decries that it would be quicker walking, errrrr, actually it wasn’t as I dropped my mates who were pushing!

I first rode it on my Turner 5 Spot but have since done it on my Ice Cream Truck fat bike. The wheels may may several kilos each but it was definitely easier on the fat bike. The hardest bits are the steep switchbacks which have eroded a bit over the years. I did push a bit on the second ascent that day as the climb does take it out of you if you go for it!

I reckon most folk get to a point where they spin out and then struggle is to get back on where it is steep and loose.

If anyone can do it on a one by set up, I’ll be seriously impressed!

Cheers

Sanny
    Sanny’s 20:36 bottom gear is a thing of beauty, but despite what he says I’m 100% sure he could ride up a wall on a 1x setup.

I need to get back down to the Lake District some time soon, that pic up there looks nice.

sideshow
    Free Member

What’s the best descent to Thirlmere? Birkside I hadn’t heard of before this thread, how does it compare to Sticks going West – which some seem to rate? Any other good options?

Also Patterdale – is that the same as Grisedale?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

This vid from One More Brew has just appeared. Same route down as my vid up there. Not sure carrying up Swirral Edge appeals to me though, knowing there are alternative ways up.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Uty13BBEBZM[/video]

andybrad

So we ha a small jaunt on Saturday. Now just to put this into perspective studly pike is a mountain to me. So im really not used to this sort of thing.

Set off from the cafe and up to the yha. Got photobombed by a tourist group 🙂
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/tSdeexoqntaM2XC63

then up into the amazingly bad weather.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/mx1JfB0VaVnZ0Z523

whit woo look at the view
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/mNbkSHgEQe2nkyMr2

then we were going to pop back down sticks but the weather got worse so we decided to save it till another time. I think this was the right decision.

Then cake!
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE4aiXAlt7uF6LZ32

All in all im happy that we had a go and made the right calls for us. Will be back in better weather (next year probably) for a proper go at sticks and dolly. Cheers for the information folks.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘First time up helvellyn’ is closed to new replies.