Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • First time tubeless…..
  • joebristol

I’ve searched tubeless threads and read some of them but thought I’d start a new thread as didn’t find exactly what I was after.

So my new bike is coming setup tubeless so I figure most of the hard work will be done there (not sure if sealant will already be in it or not so need to check.

So what happens if you get a puncture that the sealant can’t fill and the tyre goes flat? Do you have to take the tyre off and patch it internally – or do you then have to run tubes with that tyre?

Also from flat, how do you get the tyre pumped up? I’ve got a reasonable Topeak ‘Joeblow’ track pump, is that man enough?

Guessing out on the trail a small hand pump isn’t going to do it – but will a co2 canister be sufficient? If so then 12g or 16g for a 2.3 Maxxis tyre in a 30mm wide rim?

jekkyl

I always carry a spare tube in case tubeles’ness fails for whatever reason. I suppose you could patch it but with gunk running about in the tyre it might prove a mess and a faff compared to just slinging a tube in.

Your track pump will likely be fine, it helps to put the tyre on overnight with a tube and then the tyre carcase is all shaped. When you blow it up for the first time use soapy water round the bead to help it seat, just use an old dustpan brush. Make sure where the valve is has the tyre pulled back from the valve close to the edge.
    People worry too much about tubeless, it’s all relatively simple.

bullroar
    Free Member

Spare tube or get an anchovy kit from Weldtite or similar for the trail. Normal trail or track pump is fine.

nickc

I carry a wee Co2 canister, a couple of worms/anchovies a tube a wee pump. Only ever used a worm once, and pumped it up by hand, was fine.

depends of the hole really, hopefully it’ll seal, if not, then a worm first, and pump up, (a small pump will be OK as long as the tyre’s still seated as you only need a big burst of air to get it to seat on the rim, once it’s there, a normal pump is fine). If the worm won’t go, then it’s bung a tube in, I’m afraid.

mark90
    Free Member

Joe the tyres will come properly set up tubeless with Stans sealant already in. Just set your pressures and ride.

On the trail I carry worms, a tube and a normal trail pump. I don’t expect to be able to seat a bead tubless on the trail, if it comes to that then it’s a tube.

The maxxis tyres, like those that will come on your bike, I have found to be very good at setting up tubeless with a track pump (Joe blow). I have fitted a new Shorty with a track pump and just this week also a new Aggressor for the rear. The aggressor went up so easy and held air without sealant (before I popped a small section of bead and added sealant). Though I did resort to a small electric compressor (no air tant) to seat a mates HR2. A little lube on your rim* helps too 😉

* or bead, but that doesn’t sound the same.

shortyj15

If it’s already set up tubeless then the tyres will be on with sealant in them.

I carry a tube + Anchovie things the others are talking about.

If you have suitable tyres for your area with decent protection in the sidewalls then you will not have a problem.

Just remember in summer to top up with sealant as it’ll dry out.

Also check tyre pressures often as sometimes they can leak a bit and you hit a rock with low pressure and ding the rim and damage the tyre bead.

joefm

once the tyre has been seated tubeless you should be able to pump it up from flat with a hand pump or co2 so you could use one of the anchovie/tyre plug things but thats hassle so just use a tube if it goes flat.

Northwind

I’ll occasionally do a ride without a tube but it’s kind of asking for trouble. (I’ve loaned my tubes out way more often than I’ve used them myself though).

The Joe Blow’s a good pump but it doesn’t push a huge amount of air at a time- quantity’s more important than quality here, my cheap crap Air Towers are horrible pumps but they shift more air so they’re better for tubeless. That’s not to say it won’t work but it can be a bit harder

bruneep

Is it set up tubeless or tubeless ready? rode my new bike for ages thinking it was tubeless when in fact there was tubes in F&R.

jam-bo

so you could use one of the anchovie/tyre plug things but thats hassle so just use a tube if it goes flat.

Anchovies are way quicker and a load less mess than putting a tube in.

joebristol

I’ll have to look up worms / anchovies!

devash
    Free Member

Anchovies are way quicker and a load less mess than putting a tube in.

They are great for big punctures that the Stan’s won’t seal properly, however I’d still advise carrying a tube alongside one of these to get you home in the event of a ripped sidewall.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

In over 5 years I’ve only been let down three times….and nothing would have kept me going except a new tyre on those occasions! I don’t do too much intentional ‘gnar’, mostly long distance xc stuff, so even if I had to put a tube in, there are so many thorns and lumps of stuff that has gone through the tyre, it would only p******e again anyway!

Like the man says up there ^^ top it up when you can’t hear any sloshing around!

jonnyboi

Don’t use CO2, it will freeze or damage the sealant.

It’s a bit of an investment but the airshot is great for seating tyres, and it’s portable. You can get it for £42 from tredz using their discount code.

Tyre worms as mentioned above are really handy

joebristol

Useful to know on the co2. Better get myself a half decent pump for the backpack when I’m out cycling then that does presta. My current pump has a co2 attachment – the pump bit inflates by hand the first bit then use co2 for full pressure. The pump bit would struggle to get an mtb tyre up to even 20 psi before your arm fell off!

So for now I just need a decent mini pump, and the track pump I already have sounds ok.

Just when I get a brand new tyre I may need to invest in something a bit more manly like an air shot?

weeksy

Joe,

I bought the airshot, I was you six months ago. Its brilliant.

As for out on trails, I’ve not had a puncture yet in nearly 1000 miles.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

co2 is fine with Slime, it’s Stans that has the problem with CO2.

joebristol

All sounds good. Pretty sure it’s Stans that comes in Bird bikes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘First time tubeless…..’ is closed to new replies.