Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • First time trying flats, budget shoes/pedals
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Apart from my first few months of mtb’ing, I’ve always ridden SPD’s,
    Now I’m wanting to give flats ago, convinced I can gain more from switching to them.

Budget pedals? (£20ish)

V8’s? Superstar?

Budget shoes?

Keeping it cheap!

Of course if all goes well I can always spend more.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wellgo V8 copies and whatever trainers you have kicking around. Nothing more fancy is needed. 🙂

EDIT
    To be fair, those shoes in the link look spot on 🙂

kimbers
    cyclewerx

V8’s are not a bad pedal but the bearing is shocking but for a little extra you can get V12’s which are much better.
    Regarding shoes I know you said cheap but 5 10’s are absolutely fantastic and by not using them or something similar you may not get the full capabilities of using flats.
    What sort of riding do you do?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

V8’s are not a bad pedal but the bearing is shocking

No, it’s not. It just comes with very little grease in it. Put the supplied syringe of grease in straight away, and then some more, and they’ll be fine. 🙂

by not using them or something similar you may not get the full capabilities of using flats.

I disagree. But anyway, that’s not what he’s after, is it? He’s after CHEAP to give it a shot.

cyclewerx

Fair do’s 🙂

bearnecessities

I’ve got some V8’s in very good condition kicking about if you want to borrow them to see how you get on.

tacopowell
    Free Member

what sort of riding do you do?

XC, Trail, Sherwood pines been my local haunt but travelling to Wales non and then,

I’m fairly new to mtb (3years) realising I could learn more on flats.

V8’s are not a bad pedal but the bearing is shocking
    No, it’s not. It just comes with very little grease in it. Put the supplied syringe of grease in straight away, and then some more, and they’ll be fine.

You say that but I’ve got an old pair of V8’s but with one pedal not rotating correctly, reckon bearings ****.

bearnecessities – Member
    I’ve got some V8’s in very good condition kicking about if you want to borrow them to see how you get on.

Very kind offer, though after postage I may as well buy some new!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You say that but I’ve got an old pair of V8’s but with one pedal not rotating correctly, reckon bearings ****

It probably is. But one bad bearing doesn’t make them all bad and more grease from new might well have prevented your failure. It a well known thing, this lack of grease in V8s, by the way, not just my opinion. 🙂
    My own V8s are about 6 years old and in pretty good nick as I greased them from new. I’ll knock all the pins out before the bearings go I think!

colournoise

Connected question. Got a mate looking for some cheap flat-specific shoes. Anyone got any experience of these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=71080

sbob
    Free Member

The bearings in my V8s are a bit ropey now, despite regular stripping and re-greasing they’ve only lasted 12 years.

(Loctite 7840 degreaser, Finish Line grease)

If the bearings are tight from the factory, they’ll wear quickly and your pedals won’t last.
    Whip ’em apart, clean and degrease, repack with good quality grease and they’ll last. You can’t do that with V12s, they just wear.
    Degreaser and lube are cheaper than new bearings and bushes.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Buy the 5:10 basics i PSA’d about last week and some Wellgo mg32

slowrider
    Free Member

Rock and run were selling 5.10 basics for £25 a week or so ago, be worth a look, mine seem good.

Ebay for wellgo v8 copies, dirt cheap

slowrider
    Free Member

Haha snap

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’d say a solid pair of skaters Vans (not the mincers deck shoes) and nukeproof electrons. Don’t get me wrong, I love V8’s – but flat pedals have moved on a long way since they came out, and even when they came out they were a copy of an older design..

abbot
    Free Member

+1 for the wellgo V8 copies. They are a great pedal, pretty weather tight and easy to service.

Also you can buy extra pins on ebay and can go for the longer ones if you are looking for more grip (and have shins of steel!)

On the shoe side to keep it cheap any skate shoe will be fine. To make it cycling specific add in some stiff plastic under the insole for less floppiness when pedalling. I’ve no idea if this will work but it might make you feel better, lol

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘First time trying flats, budget shoes/pedals’ is closed to new replies.