Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • First time to chatel, what do I need to know/do?
  • tallandbearded
    Free Member

Title says it all!
    Going to chatel for the first time next week (first time mtbing abroad) and wondering if there is anything I should know or do whilst I’m there.

Oh and what is this pass’portes thing all about? Doable in a day?

timidwheeler

We went last year and had a great time. We did parts of the passportes but it wasn’t really my highlight. If you want to ride away from the bike park, then there is a good guide book on sale locally, it doesn’t seem possible to get it over here.

We promised the landlady of the Avalanche bar we would bring her cheddar or wensleydale should we return. I suspect that there may be a free pint for which ever intrepid traveller forfills this request.

If you want some slightly more useful info then give me a hint about what you are interested in.

Edit – the most useful thing I can tell you…
    The weather in the mountains is changeable. Always carry a jacket.
    I’ve never seen rain like it.

TheSanityAssassin

The zip wire. You’ve GOT to do the zip wire!

Trekster

http://en.portesdusoleil.com/portes-du-soleil-mtb-tour.html
    http://www.portesdusoleil.com/images/upload/portfolio_img/plan_des_pistes_vtt.jpg

The Sanity Assassin – Member
    The zip wire. You’ve GOT to do the zip wire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHPcDLX7SY 😆

Buy a week long lift pass
    Be sure to know when the lifts close
    The lifts may close due to bad weather, then you are stuck!!
    The dh trails are like ice when wet 🙄
    There is a free bus up to the bike park.
    There is a trail you can cycle to the bike park up behind the Super Chatel lift, can`t remember where exactly.
    The walkers map is better than the PDS one and a proper map is better still(obviously)

kayak23

+1 for the zip wire.
    Otherwise, get a lift to the top, ride down the tracks, have fun, repeat.

superfli
    Free Member

Goto Morgins for the day.
    Get a guide early if you can so you can learn where the singletrack is.
    Do the Col de Cou
    Most importantly go and ride the WCDH in Champery. This is amazing! From the top of the Champery cable car (you will come to it from the other way mind), turn left as you would exit the cable car, and head down to the chairlift. It starts here. At the bottom, when it gets to the road, turn right up the road for a few 100 yds and then turn in left and you will see the rest (its not publicised)

fozzybear
    Free Member

Loads (Inc myself) can give you advise about riding locations and trails to ride.
    I’ll post something different.

Have fun first and most importantly.
    Take knee and elbow pads with a full facer (and clear lens glasses or goggles).
    Check you kit on arrival, I’ve lost count of the number of riders I’ve seen not check something (tyre pressures or fork/shock pressures) only for it to bite them in the ass.

Most importantly take your time the first few days. Going balls out the first day for the first time isn’t recommended. Seen a few bad crashes on day one or two for the rider to sit sulking all week. You’ll naturally speed up over the week, relax and your arm pump will fade.
    Get yourself some thick dh tubes and dual ply tacky high rollers or minions.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

there are a fair few articles on the internetwork that were useful before my first trip. a lot of it overkill on reflection but worth taking on board. take a jacket even if its wall to wall blue in the morning. also never do “one more run”!
    http://bikemagic.com/mountain-bike-trails/riding/going-to-the-alps-this-summer-heres-some-tips.html
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/how-to-make-the-most-of-a-trip-to-the-alps-22587/
    http://www.diaryofamountainbiker.co.uk/mtb_alps.php

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have a look on here, quite a few recent threads on Chatel/PdS/Alps as there are every year

The PdS tour is exactly that – a marked lap of he area, good for seeing how everything connects. There is lots off good riding away from the marked VTT trails but you have to search it out.

nickf
    Free Member

Take spare parts for the bike – the availability out in the Alps can be quite limited. Brake pads, tubes, spare rotors, gear hanger – all useful.

johnhe

I wouldn’t ride the WCDH in Champery – it looks mental steep!! The Black run from Les Mossettes to Les Crosets is my favourite trail in the portes de soleil – I’d be happy riding that trail all day (literally).

Mugboo

Will I need to use the Swiss motorways to get there from the Chunnel? Shortest route on Google ends in some E roads once you cross the border, will I need to pay the Swiss Vignette?

superfli
    Free Member

I would go that way. Turn off the main drag to Lyon just south of Dijon. Takes you through Jura region and meta bief. It’s cheaper and quicker. Even though you have to buy vignette, you can easily sell it on after (not meant to though).

Mugboo

Thanks again Superfli, (anybody want to buy a Swiss motorway pass for August 🙂 )

funkhouser
    Free Member

are there any maps knocking about showing some of the secret/off piste trails in the area?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Mugboo – I drive the Jura route regularly to Switzerland and it’s certainly a bit more interesting than motorway to Geneva (normal “A” roads through the area). I go Bresancon / Pontparlier / Lausanne. The moment when you first see the Alps (inc PdS) and then lake Geneva below you is pretty cool. You’ll duck and dive a bit to get to Chatel as you have to drive around the lake (via Montreux I would guess) but worth it for the view I’d suggest. If you have time for a diversion (or want a break midweek) and are interested the medieval town of Yvoire is cute on the lake. Boats run over to Swiss side inc town on Nyon.

If you want to try and sell the Vignette (you buy it at the border)don’t stick it to the windscreen, not surprisingly the Swiss have thought of the resale idea and it splits into many pieces if you try and peel it off. It is also possible to drive to Chatel from Swiss side without using the motorway, there is a lake side road which is generally quite busy but it’s do-able.

HindlePie
    Free Member

Mugboo

We’re off to Switzerland tomorrow evening. I can sell you mine if you like when I get back? 😀

HindlePie
    Free Member

Mugboo

We’re off to Switzerland tomorrow evening. I can sell you mine if you like when I get back? 😀

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The Swiss made us stick our vignette on there and then 🙁 we then spent our entire Swiss motorway journey stuck in traffic. It,s worth riding Metabief if you do go that way though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Swiss made us stick our vignette on there and then

Yes, they are not daft ! The dodge I heard was to have a piece of clear plastic taped/stuck on inside of windscreen and stick the Vignette to that. You then remove both ! All of a bit of a phaff to get back what half of the £25-ish purchase cost ? Its a small sticker and it’s cool to keep it on the car as a reminder no ? 😳

Mugboo

Cheers, not sure how I managed to tie my own shoe laces, pre STW 😉

Hindle Pie – I need it by Monday morning 🙂

tallandbearded
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice guys, but i’m not sure i’ll be able to fit it all in! Might just have to plan a second trip….then a third.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘First time to chatel, what do I need to know/do?’ is closed to new replies.