Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • First Time Poster-SLX brakes query
  • keithd
    Free Member

Hi all. My first time posting after lurking for years! Hope the masses can find me an answer. Parked my work bike up last Thursday after work and all was fine. Lubed the chain and mechs on Sunday, set off to work Tuesday morning-first traffic lights and no front brake! Lots of squealing but no bite. Cleaned with brake cleaner and re-aligned the caliper but still no good. Pistons moving fine, life still in pads. How can a brake go from working perfectly to not without going anywhere? Any ideas? Cheers.

clubber
    Free Member

Welcome along.

You got oil on the disc which has probably contaminated the pads.

(Assuming that the brakes are otherwise working fine – eg they’re not suddenly really squishy)

What have you actually cleaned? Cleaning the rotor is quite easy. Cleaning the pads is hit and miss. IME replacing them (once you’re sure the disc is clean) is the easiest option.

crikey
    Free Member

You’ve probably contaminated the pads. Buy new or cook in oven or heat with blowtorch.

Now, chilli recipes….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Does the lever feel firm or spongy? If spongy give it a bleed.
    Dont use brake cleaner as it tends to contain light oil that cars / motorbikes can burn off, but bike discs rarely got hot enough to do this.
    Clean the rotor with IPA and try the set of pads from the back brake in the front. If still the same, try bleeding the front brake. If ok then pad contamination is the most likely culprit.
    Worst case scenario is the system has a slight leak which allows air in and caliper / lever / hose replacement (depending on whats leaking) is required.

keithd
    Free Member

Cheers all. Was careful not to contaminate but you never know! How long/hot in the oven?

barn
    Free Member

Contaminated pads?

(Assuming lever feel is normal, switch pads from rear brake, clean rotor and test).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘First Time Poster-SLX brakes query’ is closed to new replies.