Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • First time on bike since ACL surgery tonight.. Marvellous!
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

As title..

I had my ACL surgery nearly 7 weeks ago, physio gave me the go ahead to get back on the turbo trainer about 3 weeks ago, did a few sessions and it felt ok but a tad boring. So tonight as the weather had calmed down I decided to venture out on the mountain bike for a short ride.

Fitted my slicks a couple of weeks ago to assist in the easing in phase, a chance to try out my Aldi bin tights, new front light, helmet and wooly booly socks.. Top marks for all the kit, feet were the warmest they have ever been in colder weather, not exactly roasting but not numb and freezing as usual.

Anyway.. I digress! Long story short.. I’m totally buzzing after the ride, reckon I did about 8 miles in all, it was a lovely clear sky and not a person in sight on the route, peace and quiet! It was superb and the knee held up well.

Have spent so much time over the weeks slowly building up the movement and strength doing boring exercises.. And now they have come good and allowed me to get back on the bike so quickly. I thought it would be a good 3 months before I actually got out on it. But to think that 4 weeks ago I was still on crutches!

Being a human is ace!
    Cycling is ace!

That is all.. Im a very happy man!

Superficial
    Free Member

Nice one. Keep up the rehab, sounds like it’s going well. I’m no expert but it seems like doing the appropriate amount of exercise / physio is the main thing for a smooth recovery.

1981miked
    Free Member

Cheers mate. Yeah seems to be the case with me anyway. I have been pretty strict with the exercises, even if I’m knackered and can’t be arsed I have gone and done them, even doing some press ups and light weights has helped to keep me motivated.

Planning another cycle tomorrow night or Thursday if the weather is good.

Scamper
    Free Member

Excellent! How things change – over 24 yrs ago I did my ACL plus other damage and they could not reconstruct and was told to “forget sport”. Those days it was 2 months in plaster and some half arsed physio.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Just listen to your body and do what it tells you.

p7rich
    Free Member

Good for you. What type of reconstruction did you have? Hamstrings or BTB?

1981miked
    Free Member

Cheers guys, it’s telling me to build up the time on the bike slowly. It was a bit achy when I first woke up but it’s settled down now.

I had the hamstring graft replacement. It was very tight to begin with but surgeon said better that was as it will stretch and still be strong.

Still can’t totally bend knee but I can bend it enough to walk normal, weight bare and cycle so happy days.

bigG
    Free Member

7 weeks after surgery and your physio agreed you could get out and ride? I did five mins on a turbo at no resistance at 8 weeks and my physio went nuts. I also had the hamstring replacement, along with healing time for a partial tear of my MCL. 7 weeks seems awful soon to be putting any kind of stress through the new ligament.

Not being a killjoy (it’s awesome you got out and enjoyed it) but I’d double check with your physio before risking it again. You do know they can’t keep hauling hamstrings out of your legs to use as replacement? 🙂

dazh

Mrs Daz had an ACL hamstring graft reconstruction in mid-August. She’s been doing 10 minute sessions on the exercise bike since about week 6-7 and the physio’s now given her the green light to ride a normal bike, although we live at the top of a bloody steep hill so that hasn’t happened yet. She’s got pretty much full movement now and can almost walk without a limp for short periods so all going well.

1981miked
    Free Member

Yip.. Was given the green light to ride. He is more than happy with my progress. I’m walking without a limp, can weight bare 100%, this week I’m doing some light running on a small trampoline at physio, doing some single leg exercises aswell. I was on the cross trainer after 4 weeks during one session.

I am aware they can’t keep pulling hamstring ligaments and if this graft fails I’ll get another, if that one fails then it’s a new knee. Everybody heals at different speeds it would seem. I wouldn’t do something my physio hadn’t ok’d or I didn’t feel I was capable of mate.

I have spent a long time unable to do the things I want to, so to jeopardise it all for he sake of riding my bike would be incredibly stupid of me.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Mate, you are doing exceptionally well, I know you well enough to know that your willpower, determination & sheer strength would see you on your feet & to a quick recovery.

Looking forward to getting out riding again soon.

If you were an animal – u would be an Ox.

See you soon.

1981miked
    Free Member

Cheers boggles.. I have been very strict with my exercising. I’m glad I did the boring stuff because now I can progress to fun stuff.

Thanks for the support, looking forward to getting out aswell mate.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Our protocol for hamstring graft acl repairs allows gentle cycling at 8 weeks.

1981miked
    Free Member

Only a week early then.. ; )

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I wouldnt be worrying about that. Our get sent home on the day of their op, physio follow up within a week and twice weekly outpatient appts until week 8, then as many knee classes as you want until you feel you no longer need them.

1981miked
    Free Member

Yeah still feels ok today. No worse off than I was before I did it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘First time on bike since ACL surgery tonight.. Marvellous!’ is closed to new replies.