Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • First-time Hope bearing replacement question
  • ononeorange

I am trying to replace the bearings in my Pro II front wheel – the first time I’ve had a go. I’ve got the drift on the bearing and have smacked away for a quite a long time with a rubber mallet, but they’re not moving.

Could I have missed something incredibly stupid or is it a case of perseverance / hittng them harder? Does anything ease their passage (so to speak!)? I’m slightly concerned that I might start breaking spokes if I hit it any harder (underside of wheel is balancing on the spokes on a roll of tape – all I could find to support it)?

simon1975

You’ve got the end caps off, right?

Is one bearing and the centre-tube (axle) out yet?

z1ppy

Silly question but you are trying to push them from the inside out aren’t you?
    I know there’s a ‘centre tube’ inside the hub, but you can push this aside enough to get to the bearings.
    If that the case then just increase the force your using, though I’d try and locate something for the hub to sit against, rather than using the spokes.

No circlips to remove… exploded diagram

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

heat the hub – tie a rag around it and pour a kettlefull of boiling water over it – makes a huge difference

No rubber mallet either – use a proper hammer

coatesy
    Free Member

Rubber mallets are for comedy purposes only :-),use a proper hammer, and support the hub flange on two blocks of wood so you have a solid base to hit against.

ononeorange

Thanks.

I’ve taken the two end caps off – both bearings still in place. I am hitting one bearing at one side inwards to force tube onto other bearing outwards….I can’t see how else to do it?

OK will use a proper hammer.

Was trying to avoid a long trip to woodyard for 2 blocks, but it looks like I’ll have to.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Noooooooooooooooooo stop now

what you do is get a drift inbetween the bearings and hit them outwards – you are tying to hit the bearings against the stop / end of the recess

Get a long thin drift and use it to knock the tube between the bearings to the side then you can get to the inner side of the bearing to drift it out

z1ppy

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP! wot he said ^^^^ (which I did say above 😉 )
    Though I’ll repeat it, the centre tube has enough movement in it that you can shove it aside to get a (long thin) drift (old screwdriver) in to the attack the bearing, work your way round the bearing methodically. The bearing will pop out along with the centre tube, and then you have lots of access to the other bearings.

wwaswas

watch this video;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sKcq9ChVEE[/video]

ononeorange

Sorry Zippy – you did say it.

Thanks. No wonder it wasn’t moving! At least I used the comedy hammer, then!

Glad I asked……!

Cheers

Rorschach
    Free Member

FAILUS MAXIMUS.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘First-time Hope bearing replacement question’ is closed to new replies.