Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • First time going tubeless
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

So I’m going to give tubless a go and thought I’d ask what is the preferred method for non tubless rims.

I have Mavic 719’s and tubeless tyres and have been looking at the Joe’s no flat tubeless kit.
    Around £30 for what looks like 2 rim strips and bottle of sealant.

Also read a lot about the ghetto method using BMW tubes and some cutting.
    With the kit recommends it comes in about the same price, £20 dor a big bottle of stand sealant and £10 for 2 BMX inner tubes.

Also seen the stans kit but at £50 seems a bit expensive.

What is going to give me the best tubless setup?

leythervegas
    Free Member

I’m also considering this conversion matlock. i agree that £50 seems a bit steep for stans kit. i also think ill need new tyres so im trying to keep the price to a minimum.

h4muf
    Free Member

Do it properly and do it right. Tubeless works great when using the right stuff.

edoverheels
    Free Member

You are going to need some tape,some sealant and valves. You will then need some CO2. Just work out the cheapest permutation. It all seemed an expensive nonsense when I first experimented but now run three bikes tubeless and so I am a convert.

Conan257
    Free Member

Sealant can react badly to CO2… Go with good-old air instead…

I use gorilla tape, valves from tubes or official valves depending… Just make sure you get removable cores.

ThePinkster

I tried this tape with these valves a few months ago on DT Swiss 4.2D rims (IIRC) sealed with latex from Hobby Craft and it’s still working absolutely fine. Sealed really simply and not lost any noticeable pressure since.

It was with proper tubeless Geax tyres though if that makes any difference.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mavic xm719 with 3 layers of stans yellow tape and a valve. Maxxis ardent exo and some sealant. Went up on second go with a compressor.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Noted a daft typo at the start. Should have said BMX tubes not BMW tubes!

Pinkster those valves you mention how do those work/attach to non tubeless rims like Mavic 719’s that are drilled for schrader valve?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I used some stans presta valves but left the plastic insert in place to reduce the hole. No need for a rim strip this time.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The main part of the system is the rim tape, it needs to be airtight and sturdy enough not to tear once air pressure forces it into the spoke holes. Stans is pretty expensive, so I use Joes but it’s more or less the same. I’ve also used BMX tubes too with varying degrees of success.

Now, if you’re planning on just using rim tape or gorilla tape, then you need to punch a hole for the valve in the rim’s valve hole and fit one of those Superstar jobbies. The will seal once you tighten the locking collar. Replaceable cores are a must, but they will also be a pain in the tits as they need to be tight enough not to loosen when simply trying to attach a pump…

719s are as good as anything – in fact it’s what I use for my tubeless bikes. Sealants can vary, but I’m hugely impressed with Caffelatex.

As for tyres, some are good and some aren’t. Folding Continentals are a pain, they leak from mould holes. Kendas work well, although the sidewalls are weak. I’m using Specialized Captain and Storm tyres on my xc bike, which are excellent, they’re designed to be used tubeless.

You also need a reasonably decent compressor too, obviously.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘First time going tubeless’ is closed to new replies.