Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • First time at a festival, first time camping. What should I take?
  • dthom3uk

I’m taking the Family to Rewind North in a couple of weeks.

We’ve never been to a festival before or camped. So far, I’ve borrowed my Sisters tent and that’s it.

What are the essentials we need to take?

wwaswas

ear plugs.

inflatable mattresses

sleeping bags.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I just copied this brief list from GoOutdoors’ website: 😀

A charged mobile
    Change for the car park
    Spare batteries
    Numbers of all your mates
    BBQ/Stove
    Food
    Duct Tape
    Programme, Directions, Tickets
    Waterproofs
    A hoody/thick fleece
    Comfy t-shirts
    Something to sleep in
    Sleeping bag
    Roll mat
    Tent – with pegs, mallet and poles!
    Poncho
    Suncream
    Aftersun
    Hand sanitiser
    Water bottle
    Thick socks
    Wellies
    Earplugs
    Snacks
    Wheel Lock
    Sturdy Boots
    Flip Flops
    Underwear and socks for the duration of the festival
    Cash
    Food and drink
    Medicine as well as personal items- glasses, condoms, pills, contact lenses.
    Mini Travel Products – e.g Mini Shampoo / Soap/ Face washes / Face wipes and hand sanitizer
    Toilet roll(s)
    Camping furniture (if allowed on site)
    A pillow
    A cool box
    A small radio or stereo
    Sunglasses
    Insect repellent
    Stove
    Fuel source
    Lighting materials (matches, lighter) – Plus spares kept in a dry environment
    Pot – 1 per two campers
    Pan – 1 per two campers
    Cups (Per person)
    Plates (per person)
    Bowls (per person)
    Tumblers / Plastic glasses (per person)
    Cutlery including extra extras, allow two items per person.
    Food and sauces/condiments/oils, including seasoning and dressings
    Corkscrew – Can be found on a Swiss Army Knife
    Tin opener
    Scissors and a firm knife – for cutting meats or opening packets – A Swiss Army Knife may provide these
    Stirring Spoon made from wood or plastic
    Serving Spoon for items such as salads or sauces
    Skewers or prongs for toasting with
    Plastic bags for rubbish storage, or an area to chop on
    Cloths to strain food through or tidy up

That should get your started.

Danny79
    Free Member

gazc
    Free Member

credit card

Cougar

In addition to that list:

Self-inflating mattress,

Nothing you’d be gutted to lose,

Nothing made by Gellert.

timbur
    Free Member

Red wine,
    more red wine,
    Whisky.

Oh, and a few loo rolls.

All will go swimmingly.

(screw top to save on bottle opener)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Baby wipes.
    Battery banks for charging of the gadgets.
    As your going with the family leave the recreational drugs at home.
    Snacks.
    Ale.?
    Extra bedding, sleeping bag liners are a good idea as they pack down really small and can be a god send on a cold night.

As above take wine, it gets you pissed much quicker and less trips to the toilet compared to lager.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Wet ones.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Arrive early, pitch your tent, then pitch 8 empty tents in a corral around your space.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

That should cover it

kayak23

andybrad

Been to many festivals. If your going with family take..

Baby wipes
    a bucket to pee in in the middle of the night.
    lots of money (split up)
    nothing you mind getting muddy
    walking boots
    waterproof coat / hat
    some warm clothing for the nights.

Youll be happy with that

Lifer
    Free Member

Poncho better than waterproof coat/trousers ime

andybrad

better off with a coat and shorts imo

jambourgie
    Free Member

Head Torch
    Booze
    Bog Roll
    Drugs
    Booze
    Lighters x10

slimporcini
    Free Member

socks. plenty of socks

binners

Northwind

Read the list of forbidden items, traditionally there’ll be at least one thing that’ll catch you out. For example, Reading festival, not allowed to take deodorant. You can buy it once you’re inside, you just can’t take any in.

Mine is like this:
    Tent
    sleeping bag
    air mat
    extra fleecy blanky that I bought at about 4am at Reading one night to fend off death
    Wee first aid kit of convenience things- there’ll be first aid available but blister plasters, stuff like this.
    Wet wipes and some disposable cleaning stuff
    BOG ROLL.

Sun cream
    Waterproofs- if you’ve got a pocketable bike waterproof, ideal. Lots of bike stuff is good- thermal baselayers, ace. Some festivals have now banned camelbaks which is a right bollocks, they’re perfect.

If it rains, waterproof footwear will make you feel like a king. I love my Official Festival Goretex Shoes.
    Slightly more clothes than you think you’ll need- many more socks.
    Very well wrapped weed- beat the sniffer dogs.

If you’re taking your beverages in, red wine in a box, dispose of box. But I used to just take one can, for tent pitching refreshment, then nip out and buy some. Works better some places than others. Same with food, basically the less crap you’re carrying, the better. Even if you’re driving it can be a route march to get into the camping area.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Wellies
    Sturdy Boots
    Flip Flops

Are you going to the beach, the marshes or the hills?

willard

All three by the looks of things.

Northwind

Wellies are crap for festivals imo… Can’t jump around in em properly, generally either cold or sweaty, can be uncomfy, cheap ones aren’t all that durable in a crowd and have no toe protection… Decent walking boots are the ideal imo.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Wellies are crap for festivals imo… Can’t jump around in em properly, generally either cold or sweaty, can be uncomfy, cheap ones aren’t all that durable in a crowd and have no toe protection… Decent walking boots are the ideal imo.

+1

They’re also a sod to get on/off.

breadcrumb

Hip flask. This may need strapping to your inner thigh to get past security.

Wellies, if big enough, are handy for smuggling too. My mate had a festival top hat that he could sneak beer in.

thorlz
    Free Member

If you can’t park by your tent and have to walk from the carpark to the campsite, then a fold down trolley is the business.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wolfcraft-70kg/76279

By one of the above and feel smug as you pass all the people mauling their tits off trying to carry/dropping their stuff all over the show.

jambourgie
    Free Member

LSD
    MDMA
    Ketamine
    Cocaine
    DMT
    DXM
    Methadrone
    Salvia
    Bromo Dragonfly
    Nitrous Oxide
    2CI
    2CB
    2CE

*joke

CountZero

Pick up a bunch of good waterproof ponchos, ex-military are best. Much better than carrying or wearing waterproofs, cheap as chips, you can get Swiss camo ones for a fiver, and if you have showery weather, the poncho becomes a groundsheet, and you don’t care about it getting skanky and muddy.
    If they get ripped, (unlikely, but you never know), then at a fiver, you don’t really care, and you can patch with some duct tape.
    Loo rolls, wet-wipes, torches/head-torches, hats, several pairs of clean, dry socks, earplugs, ibuprofen tablets, a couple of kitchen rolls, batteries for torches.
    There’s a real tendency to take far too much, so try to keep things to a minimum.

ski
    Free Member

Something for the ladies to think about?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Leave a clean change of clothes in the car for the journey home.

CountZero

What you really, really need, is one of these, especially if it gets a bit muddy…

Cougar

Listen to Northwind. You will do well there.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

get a bag of red wine, and one of white. freeze them both. use as ice packs to keep beer cold for fri. drink white on sat while still cold, drink red sunday when there is no cold left in the cool box.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

double post

seosamh77
    Free Member

a van, 4 or 5 ice buckets, loads of ice, an utter shedload of beer, be amazed how long the ice lasts if you do it right. cold beer on the last night is a beautiful thing. And treble the amount of weed you think you’ll need! 😀

yunki
    Free Member

Danny79 has hit the nail on the head.. Although would include a coat that you trust to keep you warm and dry when you pass out in a ditch, and the ingredients for an endless supply of really good, strong, rustic mojitos

johnj2000
    Free Member

We did our first family festival a couple of weekends ago. Two things we really could have done with were more clothes for nighttime, it’s amazingly cold in a tent, and also a bucket to pee in. Everything had been covered but key things I would say:
    Wipes
    Head torch
    Mattress and pillow or make pillow by stuffing sleeping bag carrying sack with some cloths. Saves you carrying pillows
    Credit card and cash, check to see if cha machines are on site, these will cost you about £2.50 though.
    As few clothes as you can live with, I stayed in the same layers all weekend and didn’t smell that bad.
    Consider the distance you need to transport all your stuff, car park was close for us.
    Hunter wellies! I felt like an outcast as I don’t have any and everyone else did.

kimbers

Wet wipes

Sleeping bag

Everything else is optional

edhornby

headtorch

be prepared to get split up all the time, don’t spend the whole weekend bothering about who is where – on the first night, have a plan about what bands etc you definitely want to see and use these as meeting points. Always meet by the mixing desk because it’s easily navigable and the sound is the best from there

if you see a clean toilet, use it

don’t camp right next to the stages, don’t pitch next to the paths, don’t bother with camp chairs or any thing you don’t absolutely need, no valuables and switch your phone off when you are pitching the tent, only switch it on when you really need to use it cos the signal and internet service will be pants anyway

pack light

no flipflops (cut feet) no wellies, walking boots

take apples and bananas to offset the booze and junk food 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Stay with a most glamping outfits and you can take the tent / chairs / sleeping bags home with you at the end – most of them don’t publicise that. The fact that the pitches are set up before the melee arive means that they’re more than likely to be in good enough condition to keep – most other tents I saw at the end of the festival looked fit for the skip..

I’ll see the previous comments re: fold down trolleys and raise that to a lightweight wheelbarrow.

dthom3uk

Thanks for all the advice. I’d better get to Go Outdoors this weekend.

Sonia had better be bloody good after all this….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘First time at a festival, first time camping. What should I take?’ is closed to new replies.