Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • First time Alpine trip advice
  • breninbeener

I have decided that this year i would like to ride in the Alps.

I havnt been before to ride and im looking for advice on venues, accom, guiding or following gpx tracks. I have a Cube Stereo 160 and a YT Tues. If i drove, i would take them, if i flew i would probably hire.

In terms of riding, im fit and fast at trail centres, and i prefer fast n flowy of a black Glentress or Llandegla, to the surviving the black at Antur Stiniog. Id like to get better at jumps, but the gnarly rocky obstacles mess too much with my inner coward.

So, where should i go, and what should i ride?

coogan
    Free Member

Whiteroom always awesome. The thing with the Alps is it’s just bigger and longer descents. Rocks and roots and some seriously amazing single track and views. It’s a no brainer! Do it, you will not regret it it.

coogan
    Free Member

Also, either bike will do, just depends if you want bike park DH or loads of natural trails with a bit of climbing.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Saalbach Austria and the bike parks in that area such as Wargrain. It’s brilliant….. One day I will go again.
    I can recommend James Hinsby at Haus Heirich in Altenmarkt Im Pongau he’s got a facebook page and is on trip advisor…..plus he loves any excuse to get out and guide a ride too.

germolene
    Free Member

Its just fantastic and if you can afford it then go with a Co and guides. they know the area, the rides, the views and you will always arrive home at the right time and a big smile.

breninbeener

If i decide to fly (and hire) then that frees up locations such as Spain, Maritime Alps and Andorra.

Is PDS and Chatel the holy grail, or should i look further afield?

fingerbang
    Free Member

The PDS area is pretty hard to beat for the network of chairlifts and trails, I’d say go there but I’ve only ever holidayed with my bike over there so I can’t recommend otherwise. There’s a bit of après ski there as well, although its famously a sausage fest in the summer 🙂

have you thought of flying over with your bike? Morzine is only a shortish transfer from Geneva airport. I’ve not priced it out in recent years but Im sure some guys will be able to give you an idea.

I’d sooner do that than hire a bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Go and do the PPdS event if you wanna go to the PdS. It’s an awesome intro to the area and a decent challenge.

Otherwise maybe look elsewhere for trail riding. Depends if you want to go S/C or catered & guided really?

tomaso
    Free Member

Other than enthusiasm is good but don’t become a chalet maid for your mates by breaking yourself.
    Do drink good beer, eat mountain cheese and tartiflette.

breninbeener

Thanks all, loving the input. I have the bikefax guide but it seems a little stilted and wooden….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘First time Alpine trip advice’ is closed to new replies.