Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • First strike last night
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I hit my first ever ped last night, he was strolling across a ped xinot really looking, managed a shout and to slow down befor I hit him, so no damage, but a full-on impact?

Where can I get a sticker like this (or a WW2 plane style-one indicating kills) for my top tube?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

You hit a pedestrian on a pedestrian crossing? And it’s their fault?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+ for ourkidsam’s comment above.

It’s a pedestrian crossing, meaning you have to slow down and/or stop to allow them to cross.

Slow down. It’s not a race.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Erm the light was green…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In that case, it is not a pedestrian crossing.

You still should have been able to control your speed, though, IMO.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i knocked a few people over when i was a courier. i always made sure they were ok before doing one.

wwaswas

Dunno, but there’s a bloke over on pedestriantrackworld looking for one of these;

Lifer
    Free Member

Do you cycle at 6mph everywhere waiting for stuff to jump out at you Flashheart?

Speshpaul

“You still should have been able to control your speed, though, IMO. “

EVER!

Speed has two settings on or off:+)

Got hit by a pedestrian in the car once. Stopped at a cross roads to turn left, waited a moment and BANG theres a bloke on the bonnet.
    Where he was looking i don’t know.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

It would be sensible to slow down were pedestrians are likely to be i.e. at a crossing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No, I just ride within the limits of what is in front of me. Much as I drive a car within the limits of what is in front of me. Much as I walk, sail, etc.

It’s called common sense and not being an arse.

Speed has two settings on or off:+)

Erm, yeah. Whatever makes you feel like a big man.

stumpy01

You still should have been able to control your speed, though, IMO.

While I agree with this sentiment to some extent, it it not always practical.
    I used to commute along Southall high street and the amount of people who would be walking along it and then suddenly turn and just step onto the road was ridiculous. It is always busy with lots of loading/unloading so the edge of the road is ‘generally’ a safe bet for pedestrians, hence they just used to step out.

To have ridden at a speed that would have allowed me to stop in time for every potential ‘person walking out’ would have reduced me to little more than walking pace….why should I do that because these people can’t be bothered to look?

In the end I decided to ride further from the kerb, which made it harder for traffic to get past but meant less chance of pedestrian collisions…

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK I thought the ones with flashing lollipop lights were called Pelican crossings and those with traffic lights pedestrian crossings. It was one of the latter (what’s the proper designation?):

I was probably doing 15mph on approach, a few folk started walking out but saw me and slowed or stopped…blokey in question was behind them anddidn’t and I didn’t spot this until the last second at which point I gave a good shout and sloed to maybe 5-7mph.

I’ve said it before: if I rodein a way to avoid every possible collision like this my commute would take twice as long. I already ride defensively and this is the first ped I’ve hit in 25 years. Pedestrians have responsibilties too.

soobalias
    Free Member

the same nearly happened to me recently, the ped just stepped out on a pelican crossing, against the lights.
    i managed to swerve avoiding her, but stacked into the central railings

didnt see her turn to cross till it was too late, only doing 10-12mph i guess but riding on the tops (as opposed to hoods/drops) in the time it took to move my hands it was all over.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Ha ha Southall highstreet, happy days. I commuted along the Uxbridge Road for years and it was the only place on my route where I would spend more time looking at pedestrians than traffic, although this may account for why I twice got hit by cars in the area, once while stationary at a set of traffic lights.

stumpy01

Ha ha Southall highstreet, happy days. I commuted along the Uxbridge Road for years and it was the only place on my route where I would spend more time looking at pedestrians than traffic

Yes, exactly. One eye on the pavement, one on the road. I commuted from Hayes (far end of Yeading Lane) into Southall and onto the industrial estate behind the station. For my sins I had the joy of doing a 6 month work placement at the Spiller’s pet food factory while at uni….Mmmmmmm.

wwaswas

A woman walked backwards into the road in front of me this morning as I was riding back from dropping my daughter at school.

She couldn’t bear to break eye contact with the person she was talking to long enough to see if there was any traffic coming.

I thought I restrained my self quite well with just a panicked ‘Whoaa!!!’ as I put the brakes on.

She did say ‘sorry’ but only after saying good bye to the other person.

Speshpaul

Do you think winding El cap-pee-tan up will ever grow old?

Its like having a big flashing red button with press me written on it.
    I mean, you’ve got too?

matt_outandabout

Having spent two weeks teaching people to drive bus / minibus / trailers around Perth, I now refer to pedestrians as ‘lemmings’. One stepped out on a clear street, a vehicle length in front of white transit and 2.5t box trailer, covered in orange logo’s, pictures and lights on, and as the learner squealed to a halt a few cm from them, they had the b*lls to have a go at us…
    Darwins law sometimes in this life.

Luminous
    Free Member

Sounds like just an accident to me.

So long as both parties are Ok, thats what really matters, I suppose.

If you can learn anyting from the accident, then apply your experience and use it to revise your riding, then its not a total loss.

If the light at the Ped xossing was green for road traffic, then you were right to be cycling through, and, I think the Ped should have been paying more attention, while crossing the road on a red light for them.

Peds stepping off the pavement is a problem for cars and bikes, once in 25 yrs seems a good statistic, lets hope it turns out to be once in a lifetime.
    😉

I’ve not collected a ped yet, and hope I never do.

LsD
    Free Member

teh Al wrote:

I hit my first ever ped last night

Dinnae worry aboot it- they deserve all they get, filthy **** deviants………….. 😮

Luminous
    Free Member

She did say ‘sorry’ but only after saying good bye to the other person.

😯

MrKmkII
    Free Member

but you should have had a bell 😆 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I once got a ‘yoof’ on a skateboard. I was on a clearly marked ‘cycles only’ cycle path when he skated out right infront of me. He went quite a distance as we impacted, but he was fine and even apologised 😀

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Given the pedestrian mayhem of the area it is strange that I never had a pedestrian impact in Southall. Clobbered one ped on Holland Park Avenue and one in Acton. Both were unexpected step outs by the pedestrians, no pelicans or zebras were involved in either incident and no one was seriously hurt.

GW
    Free Member

Al – you don’t deserve a sticker on your top tube as it was clearly an accident. I hit a walker on purpose on Mont Cherry in 1996 and a mate knocked a ned to the floor in Glasgow with a punch as he rode past.
    must try harder 😉

wwaswas

Worst thing was the 2 kids she was walking to school who’d been waiting at the edge of the pavement with her both stepped out as she did ‘cos they were following her lead. I think if I’d been in the car it might well have resulted in someone getting knocked over.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Did you or the ped get hurt despite there being no damage? There’s a ped crossing in balerno which always scares me as the lights change v quickly and peds walk out instantly without looking and I can be doing 25mph at that section and stopping in a split second isn’t going to happen!

cynic-al
    Free Member

pwned by GW…life was ever thus 😀

DGOAB you need to be doing less than 25mph at those lights!

Talking of skateboarders…when I worked in teh Bicycleworks there was for a few weeks a dodgy paving slab outside the shop. Everytime you heard a skateboard coing down the street everyone would rush to the window to watch him hit the kerb, stop abruptly and do a superman. Happy days…

I hear the shop did atrocious work though.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Driving through Southall is like a scene from a zombie film! I have never seen so many people wandering aimlessly about, whatever the time of day or night!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I flattened a kid in the middle of Camberley once, on a motorbike. It was a quiet 125cc bike and I was filtering up a one way with cars parked both sides. The ‘moving’ cars were stationary, so 3 lanes of parked cars, if you think of it that way.
    This lad (About 10-11 years old) just suddenly ran out between the cars to my right. I saw him coming, I was just slowly filtering and there was absolutely bugger all I could do about it. IIRC I’d just managed to hit the brakes as I hit him. He measured his length between the cars I was passing. I stopped in just over a bike length after hitting him. His dad was very apologetic and I was mortified, even though there was no fault of mine. It all worked out fine after a brief chat…. He had a bloody great big graze up his leg from my front wheel and skinned hands.
    I doubt he’ll do that again though…… 😕

I guess I’m trying to say that sometimes you just cannot account for everything, whatever you do

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Al – were you riding in your usual close in to the gutter position? Riding further from the kerb gives you much more time to react in this situation. One of the reasons I do. Basically the ped has to make a step and a half to get in your way not half a step – so you have longer to react.

Always adopt the primary position where there are hazards. Pedestrians even on a pavement are hazards.

From previous debates you do not use defensive riding – you ride far too near to the kerb. One of the basics of defensive riding is to ride out from the kerb.

While legally it is his fault I would consider it to be my mistake if I hit a ped in this situation as I had not been riding defensivly.

Edit – where you covering your brakes – another basic element of defensive riding

BikePawl
    Free Member

Sorry to rain on your parade Al but if he was unhurt, then it’s not a “confirmed Kill” next time don’t slow down to make sure he stays down 😉

7hz
    Free Member

Just thank god you were not in a car.

If no one is hurt, then it is just a minor accident. Sounds like the ped was at fault, but whatever we all think of our own infallibility, we can all have a dozy moment and end up walking without looking. This especially happens in a crowd where you are ‘going with the flow’ – sounds like this guy did that.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Edit – where you covering your brakes – another basic element of defensive riding

Personally, I think aggressive riding works better. Stay loose and look out if control and people get out of your way! 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Al – were you riding in your usual close in to the gutter position? Riding further from the kerb gives you much more time to react in this situation. One of the reasons I do. Basically the ped has to make a step and a half to get in your way not half a step – so you have longer to react.

Always adopt the primary position where there are hazards. Pedestrians even on a pavement are hazards.

From previous debates I have assumed that you do not use defensive riding – you ride far too near to the kerb. One of the basics of defensive riding is to ride out from the kerb.

While legally it is his fault I would consider it to be my mistake if I hit a ped in this situation as I had not been riding defensivly.

Fixed that for you.

Who says I wasn’t riding defensively? I like how you always assume I’m at fault.

And like I said I slowed when I saw the guy wasn’t stopping…so yes I was covering the brakes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Al – do you ride out from the kerb? In the past you have said you do not. Its a basic element of defensive riding. Unless you adopt the primary position at hazards then you are not riding defensively

How far were you from the kerb when you hit the ped?

mustard
    Free Member

Just before christmas 2009 I hit a woman on Waverly Bridge. I was coming from the east end of Princes St and had been waiting at the lights, they turned green and I rode round the corner in the middle of the lane, to a road full of people, being closley followed by a Sprinter van. After some loud shouting and maybe a little swearing (a lot of volume was required due to teh funfair in the Gardens), most people either dashed on or stepped back except this lady who paused, stepped back then scuttled forward directly into where I had moved to try and avoid her. Even though I was going very slowly I still collected her and went over the bars. Luckily for us both the van stopped short of my back.

I threw my bike off me, got up, asked if she was ok and offered a hand to help her up. She didn’t utter a word, just got up and walked off. I got to chat two of Lothian and Borders finest, who had sort of seen what had happened from the roof of teh Princes Mall. They were actually very good and only took a statement in case she later tried to accuse me of anything. While I was talking to them at least two other people that had seen it came up to ask if I was ok and tell the cops that it was definatly not my fault, which was nice!

Oh dear – I really need to get better at being more succinct with my postings! 😀

ebygomm
    Free Member

On my old commute there used to be a section where pretty much the only way to ensure you didn’t hit a pedestrian was to not ride.

Contraflow cycle lane adjacent the pavement, pedestrians walk facing direction of motorised traffic so completely unaware of cyclists and step diagonally out in front of you to cross the road, often when cars were coming along the road, treating the cycle lane as some sort of special pedestiran waiting to cross area. Didn’t leave anywhere to go really. You can’t ride out from the kerb in this instance as it puts you into oncoming traffic.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Blimey there are some heros on here.

When I did my motorbike test they taught the moped group to stick into the kerb as it was safer (cos they were so much slower than other traffic) to be out of the way. So being closer to the kerb was defensive riding.

No amount of technique will ever prevent you from hitting someone who just steps out in front of you.

Cynical-Al – you deserve the sticker 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘First strike last night’ is closed to new replies.