Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • First solo mountain bike night ride – Will I survive?
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Not sure whether to excited or scared. I really enjoy solo road riding so I guess I’ll feel the same. I can’t help thinking about ninja badgers wanting to knock me off and Blair Witch though. A large majority of the ride is through forest too. 😯

Convince me I’ll be okay.

Bregante

See this fella in the photo.

He’s out there now.

Waiting for it to get dark..

woody2000

And this fella too….

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

If I get cold and happen to meet him I’ll kick him in the nads and steal his coat to keep warm. Those socks look warm too. 🙂

muddyman
    Free Member

Dont worry its always the one at the back gets taken out first !!
    oh youl be alone wont you !! 😯

wwaswas

red socks at night, ramblers delight.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

That “scary” pic is ruined by the really cute dog In the background.
    🙂

The first pic.

organic355
    Free Member

sorry is this a solo ride in the daytime? if so MTFU

if its a solo night ride, be afraid, be very afraid!!!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Opps. 😳

Title changed to say night ride.

organic355
    Free Member

and now i look daft! 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Just keep looking straight ahead. Never.
    I repeat, NEVER look to the side of the trail.

iDave
    Free Member

the last sound you hear will be the first sound they make….

cinnamon_girl

Have fun Mulletus! Is that Coll.Woods? 😯

Was riding over your way last week, twas good. 🙂

brassneck

Just don’t go near the Scary Yew Tree in Collingbourne Woods.

Really. Don’t.

drofluf
    Free Member

Don’t worry, there’s nothing there at night that’s not there in the daytime. Just when it gets dark they wake up and they’re hungry!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Harewood forest, not Collingbourne.

Interested to know about the scary Yew Tree. Where is it?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes you will survive……..for about two months in a ditch with rodents gnawing on your flesh!

Have fun 🙂

derekrides
    Free Member

It’ll be fine..

Right up until the moment, you’re out in quite deep snow, the dog mistakes the ice on a lake for grass, jumps in, can’t get out

and your lights pack up.

Or some scrotes have decided your favourite trail needs a big gap jump in it, start work, dig a big pit, don’t finish, so no kicker and the autumn leaves cover it up before you arrive, next thing you know the dogs licking your face trying to bring you to..

oldgit
    Free Member

I think most people get murdered in broad daylight, I think.

oldgit
    Free Member

And surely you must have ‘The local big cat’

brassneck

Down at the end of the fire road as you head out toward Honey Bottom (and the cottage) – on the last bit of fireroad before it becomes bridleway..

Here I think

Candles, offerings hanging from the branches etc. They may very well be your friendly sort of pagan, but they are there regularly and it’d freak me out.

Lovely ancient tree though, nice to visit in the daytime 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

next thing you know the dogs licking your face trying to bring you to..

What’s that Lassie, you say Mulletus Maximus has fallen off his bike in the woods? So you snogged him?

brassneck

And surely you must have ‘The local big cat’

Yup, heard of one of them too. Not seen it myself, but the normally rational Mrs B found what she thought to be a den/sleeping place not a million miles from the woods. Cosy nest for something big, with animal bones around it and scratched tree bark – and a strong smell not dissimilar to cat urine. Like that isn’t strong enough.

She wouldn’t go back to it to show me where exactly, and wouldn’t let me night ride near it either.

brassneck

BTW, what’s the riding like in Harewood? Any tips on where to park if I get the opportunity to pop over one day?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Everyone knows there are escaped big-cats and suchlike that hunt in the woods at night. Not to mention derelicts and assorted hungry characters looking for an easy meal. People go missing all the time.

You’ll be alright if you don’t stop and never look back at whatever made that noise behind you.

hammerite
    Free Member

You need to think of your self defence plan, you know just in case.

I thought mine up when riding through the middle of town and getting a puncture in an undesirable area.

Bright lights to the eyes, pump as an extendable baton, and CO2 for a nice freezing effect to your attackers eyes. If only I could react that quickly.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Know exactly where you mean Brassneck.

Harewood Forest isn’t that good to be honest. A lot of it is private but there’s a nice bit of cheeky singletrack that links me nicely to Wherwell which is very close to where I live.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Yay, I survived and my conclusion is that solo night riding is ace.

A couple of over the shoulder moments and one incident where I completely freaked when an Owl flew directly over my head from behind. It was only about a foot above me too. A pretty cool moment once I’d calmed down. 😀

WillC9999
    Free Member

There is a bear living on Otley Chevin.

oldgit
    Free Member

Hang on a cotton pickin moment there boy. Night ride! that was a late evening ride.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

It was dark, therefore it was a night ride. 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Hmmmm

What do the rest of STW think? Night ride or late commute, plus too early for the assorted pervs to be ready.

zippykona

Personally I think he’s been bumped off and the axe murderers are using his phone.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I did see a couple of cars where they shouldn’t have been. One was empty with no steamed up windows and one was driving up a track which was full of yoofs looking like they were trying to find a place to smoke their special cigarettes.

Jehosophat
    Free Member

Hmm, local-to-me content, I’m in Kings Worthy. Have walked plenty in Harewood Forest but not ridden there…

I seem to have found sufficient “working from home” time for a daylight weekday ride recently but usually do plenty of solo night rides. Lots of Tawny owls about the local area – I’ve had plenty of close misses! The old “eyes in the headlights” routing can get the adrenaline pumping. Take a spare light (I generally use single-18650 cell cheapo chinese ones these days) – when I was using my Nukeproof light I had a few dead-light moments. Not fun.

Didn’t realise there was a big cat legend around here too. Hants is pretty well down the list for such sightings. There were a lot near Ide Hill, Kent, where I’m originally from – some pretty compelling evidence too. Tell me more…

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Nah, don’t need an extra light, I have an indestructible Lumin Liberator. One of Trouties finest. 😀

elaineanne
    Free Member

doh your back then.. 😉 thort the dark nite Troll mite have grabbed hold of you and nudged you with his warty face…. 😉 :mrgreen:

TheBrick
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    I think most people get murdered in broad daylight, I think.

but you’ll be different.

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

Solo night ride, eh?

Well………
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBR2G-iI3-I[/video]
    😛

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘First solo mountain bike night ride – Will I survive?’ is closed to new replies.