Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • First Skiing / Snow Boarding holiday in 2014 – recomendations
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

Ok, this really is a minefield, snow is snow right!!. How on earth do i pick a destination for our first ski or boarding trip next year. Me and the mrs will be going. Recommendations with reasons will be welcome.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Give The White Room Chalet a call.

Awesome place and awesome people.

karen805
    Free Member

http://www.hofnar.co.uk in Morzine.

Stayed with them twice and will go back. Yet to be beaten chalet/host wise.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

I think Bulgaria and Andorra are quite good resorts for beginners. May as well save the more advanced destinations for the future.

colp
    ocrider

If it was me I’d be looking at a smallish resort, possibly a real village rather than a purpose-built concrete bohemoth (you will not get much satisfaction on a big mountain first time out) with not too long an airport transfer time, good local food and drink, be it French, Italian, Bavarian, etc.

Or if you want cheap booze and fags, Andorra?

Or dancing on tables with your boots on til drinking up time?

You’ve got to work out all your preferences, what some people would call the perfect ski holiday would be another’s personal hell.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Lots to chose from. Decide where you want to go, ie Italy, Austria, France, Canada, America – base this decision on the people, the culture, the food etc.

Then look for a destination in your chosen country that has a good amount of green, blue and red runs, and is beginner friendly. Reasonable Ski School rates/lessons. Also make sure it suits what you want in terms of nightlife etc, no point going to a party resort when you want a hot bath and an early night for example. Read the reviews, and book it up.

Go to America/Canada if you have the funds.

poonprice
    Free Member

I think Bulgaria and Andorra are quite good resorts for beginners. May as well save the more advanced destinations for the future.

Not sure about this, obviously some years are better than others for snow but we went to Andorra one year and it was my girlfriends first year boarding and the pistes were very icy and falling was like hitting concrete. Also a lot of the easy blues had long flat sections which are a nightmare for boarding especially for a beginner if they fall, they basically have to walk.

Next year we went to Banff and couldn’t have had better powder, following year was Tignes and that was also another great year for snow.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Just to add…

I learnt to ski in Les Contamines, in France. It’s close to Geneva, is a proper little village with a couple of small bars, some very nice restaurants and the skiing is beginner friendly, but would hold enough interest for most abilities.

plumber
    Free Member

If you can afford it Fernie BC or Whitefish Montana

I’ve been to loads of places and these are the only 2 i’d go back too

If you want apres ski then St Anton or Grindlewald

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If you want apres ski then St Anton or Grindlewald

The Mooserwirt St Anton:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZwyaAzzHF8[/video]

Great fun watching the Germans and Austrians going ape to Europop, and all the people stacking it on the way down after happy hour.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Fernie for a beginner? It would certainly be a bold choice. I’d have thought Banff would be better if you are heading out that way. Yes the bus journeys are a bit of drag but there is probably a bit more variety for a beginner.

I should add that I’ve been to Fernie 3 times, twice in the last two years, and love it there. Seriously considering heading back this new year for a few weeks.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Also a lot of the easy blues had long flat sections which are a nightmare for boarding especially for a beginner if they fall, they basically have to walk.

Next year we went to Banff and couldn’t have had better powder, following year was Tignes and that was also another great year for snow.

Fair point, it has been a long time since I went to Andorra so I can’t remember the runs as well as I used to. The snow I had though was fantastic.

I am just trying to think of smaller resorts aren’t too advanced. I wouldn’t recommend Tignes or Morzine for a beginner. The Altiport is a brillient section for beginners in Meribel but it’s too expensive to bother with for a first holiday. Some of the Austrian resports are quite gentle. I went to Niederau for my first holiday. Lovely village and not too taxing pistes. Could be worth a look.

Save Canada and USA for when you’re actually capable rather than just starting to learn (unless you have loads of money that is…..bastard)

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

I do recommend Heavenly in Lake Tahoe for when you’re a bit better.

bazzer
    Free Member

The Skiing in St Anton would put a beginner off for life 🙂

One of my favorite places though.

I always recommend La Plagne for beginners. Big resort but plenty to ski as a beginner.

Its not my favorite place but most of the first time skiers I have recommended it too have enjoyed it.

Philby

Courmayeur in Italy or Montgenevre in France would be my recommendations.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

The Skiing in St Anton would put a beginner off for life

Agreed. It’s steep and hard going, and they don’t seem to do a lot of piste maintenance, so it’s always pretty moguly.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

I always recommend La Plagne for beginners. Big resort but plenty to ski as a beginner.

Yeah true. Same goes for Les Arc. Lots of cruisy groomers.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

I agree fernie for a beginner is a really bold choice, only a handful of runs groomed where the bowls are out of the question for a novice only leaving you with a couple of runs. You have the long easy cruiser from the top which if you do not hit the bottom section at mach 10 have no chance of making that flat and your left with a long walk…

Choose one of the larger resorts in Europe better choice of runs and go high to give you a good chance of decent snow and enjoy :mrgreen:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘First Skiing / Snow Boarding holiday in 2014 – recomendations’ is closed to new replies.