Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • First single speed rigid… I need some part recommendations
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

Going to pickup a 29″ On One Inbred frame for £140. I’ve got a budget of about £450.

Thinking about one of these forks as well… http://carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=43&p=197&#also_consider

So, for finishing it off, is there a better fork for the money?
    Drivetrain recommendations?
    Wheels?

Will probably stick some Deore Hydraulics on to stop with (rather than my chin like earlier… that hurt).

danielgroves
    Free Member

I should probably mention I intend to rub tubeless, so wheels that are easy
    to run tubeless would be ideal.

tazzymtb

pop over to one cog cycling on face book and ask all the boys on girls on there, there is always a surplus of niche parts to be sold to new fools to the SS clan 😀

tazzymtb

I can probably sort you out some decent rubber from the 29er mountain for a start.

takisawa2

IMAG0203 by pten2106, on Flickr

This was mine.
    It rode nice with the On-One & Exotic carbon rigids, but even better with the Singular steel rigids. I think Singular sell them for about £60, or less for second hand.
    Wheels are Mavic TN719’s but I’d get the TN319’s if buying again…half the price + our kitchen scales can’t tell
    After plenty of component swapping I settled on non O/S carbon bars with thick LizardSkinz North Shore grips, to take the sting out of the rigid ride.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Wide flat bars ftw

Cheezpleez

Yep, I have Swift steel forks on my Inbred – £70 from Sam at Singular and extremely ace.
    I’d second going for a wide flat bar and a 50-60mm stem. CRC had cheap Nukeproof bars a while back which are excellent. I have 800 mm ones cut down to about 760mm.
    On-One smorgasbord (rear) and Chunky Monkey (front) are great tyres and unbeatable value.
    Merlin have good deals on wheels.
    Get a stem, chaInset,etc off the classifieds and you’re away.

takisawa2

I found flat bars a bit harsh. Even the carbon Niner ones. Don’t know if it’s the extra bend but I like the low rise ones. And yes, 50mm stem. £200 should net you a complete groupset a la Deore from one of the German bikemongers.

mattjg
    Free Member

Wide flat bars +1, again.

Superstar Size Zero grips, nice and wide, since you’re not running shifters let your hands have that space. Nice proper bolt on end caps too. Lots of people like ESI grips but I like lock-ons.

The OnOne cogs are a tad heavy but good value and have a wide base to avoid mashing your free hub.

I find Schwalbe tyres go up easy on Stans rims tubeless (I’ve used both Crest and Arch Ex).

If you can find the cash, a dropper. Yes really.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve got some on-one carbon forks (older style) for £40 or some X-lite 15mm maxle ones for £70.

charliedontsurf

Give me a call and I can sort out the drive, it’s all pretty simple.
    Use a shimano crankset, add some ss bolts and ss ring.
    Kmc ss chain
    Surly cassette cog
    Some spacers
    Beer
    Stickers

And it’s all sorted.

danielgroves
    Free Member

pop over to one cog cycling on face book and ask all the boys on girls on there, there is always a surplus of niche parts to be sold to new fools to the SS clan

Cheers Tazzy. I’ll bear that in mind. I’m away over the next couple of weeks so I’ll probably start the build properly in two/three weeks. Keeping my eye out for bargins until then though.

It rode nice with the On-One & Exotic carbon rigids, but even better with the Singular steel rigids

Yep, I have Swift steel forks on my Inbred – £70 from Sam at Singular and extremely ace.

So, from the sounds of it, I’d be better off with a steel fork rather than a carbon?

I’d second going for a wide flat bar and a 50-60mm stem.

I’ve got a spare set of bars in my student flat… unfortunately some miles away ATM so I’ll run the 800mm Nukeproof warheads from the full suss for now.

On-One smorgasbord (rear) and Chunky Monkey (front) are great tyres and unbeatable value.

Excellent, love it when good stuff is cheap.

I find Schwalbe tyres go up easy on Stans rims tubeless (I’ve used both Crest and Arch Ex).

I’ll keep my eyes open from some Arches on offer, but I doubt I’ll be able to afford them. I do love how easy it is to get tyres up tubeless on my Flows though 😀

I’ve got some on-one carbon forks (older style) for £40 or some X-lite 15mm maxle ones for £70.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind and drop you an email Rorschach should I choose to go for Carbon forks.

Give me a call and I can sort out the drive, it’s all pretty simple.

I’m not worried about setting it all up Charlie, just after advice for what components to go for really.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Rorschach
    I’d be interested in those forks if danielgroves doesn’t take them
    cheers
    STW AT MCRILEY CO UK

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Wheels – I’ve got the rear one of WTB TCS AM 29er wheel

It’s an absolute breeze to set up tubeless – just use a track pump. Have used WTB tyres and Specialized tyres with it and they’ve seated no bother.

brassneck

Aren’t you going to need a chain tug? Not exactly sure which frame you’re getting. Surly Tug Nut (?) from Charlie would get my vote.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Aren’t you going to need a chain tug? Not exactly sure which frame you’re getting.

Getting this frame, so I shouldn’t need one due to the horizontal dropouts. Might raw the frame though, not a fan of the colour.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOSD1229/on_one_inbred_29er_slot_dropout

thomthumb
    Free Member

unless it has taperlock dropouts (some inbreds did) you will need a tug.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Ah, ok. I’ll go for a Tug Nut in that case as that seems to be the recommendation.

clubber
    Free Member

I have the exotic/carbon cycles fork and it’s spot on.

but I reckon that the swift fork is brilliant. really springy in the right way though it’s poetically heavier.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Wheels – I’ve got the rear one of WTB TCS AM 29er wheel

Would the front hub on this be adaptable? Just thinking if I don’t get on with it being Rigid I’ll probably stick some 100mm forks on with a QR15.

Otherwise, what about these? Anyone used them? Easy to go tubeless with? http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=632

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘First single speed rigid… I need some part recommendations’ is closed to new replies.