Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • First Single Speed Build
  • inbred853

My first single speed build and attempt to post pics on STW so bare with me.
    Bought a SC Superlight and decided to convert my Inbred 853 to single speed for the commute into work.
    Got the frame powder-coated at a local place and then got a couple of bits from eBay and other sources.
    After much head scratching I went down the Forward Components route for chain tension which seems to be ok for the short time I have been using it.
    Seems to be going fine although my thumbs and fingers seem a bit lost when looking for shifting levers.
    I think I'll have to change the gearing from the 16/32 to something higher? as it isn't to hilly around my place, maybe 14/32?

inbred853

I'm using Flickr as my photo host and can't work out how to get the pics any larger.
    Advice please.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Thats nice.
    I put 32/13 on my commuter with slicks and it flew.

Clink

I'm using Flickr as my photo host and can't work out how to get the pics any larger.
    Advice please

Click on enlarge on Flickr, then right-click for properties, copy url then put on here.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Advice please

Click "all sizes", select the size you want, then copy the SHORT link below it

Nice colour, BTW 🙂

theotherjonv

I know it's lazy but any links / details about the Forward Comps BB?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

tidy

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

nice, but you're right; in the road 32:16 will be low

I have 32:12 on a 26" road SS I built up for my brother but that's perhaps a tad high; 32:14 sounds about right

if you used a conversion kit on the back wheel, there'll be a minimum sprocket size you can use (depends on the kit) before the spacers foul the chain. charliethebikemonger does a 11/12T (or is is 12/13T, I forget) kit that has fluted spacers to accommodate the smaller cog

rOcKeTdOg

that forward BB thing looks a very neat solution, much better than a tensioner on the rear hanger

epicyclo

I'll be interested to know how you get on with the Forward Components BB.

I've got one, but haven't put it to use yet.

Del

is that a kmc track chain?
    i have one, and TBH, i'm not a fan. it's been a right noisy ba5tard, has stiff links that won't stay sorted, and seems to have grown a lot. i finally got it to quieten down by putting some really thin oil on it. going back to izumi. mumble. bitch. whine.
    enjoy your bike. keep the ratio and ride it off road.

donks
    Free Member

i agree with the above on the ratio, keep it…for all the spinning it still only takes a couple more mins to do the 7 mile commute than on the geared bike and you can still use 32-16 off road…have to disagree on the chain though..i have one and it's bomber. Started to use that squirt stuff which is working just fine.

loup
    Free Member

I really like that colour 😀 What is it called?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nice colour and neat tensioning solution. Pretty expensive part though?

inbred853

Thanks for the advice and response.

I might well try a different ratio as it will be pretty much road based.
    The colour is Fire Engine Red, finished with a clear coat, I went with no decals for a clean look.

Before anybody asks where I got it done, I am currently living in the US, so got it coated over here, $125(76 pounds) for the job.

The FC EBB was $160(97) all up, it's easy to adjust, but I made two permy pen marks on the fluted adjusters to align both side if the BB.
    If you are going to change sprocket sizes I would probably recomend a half link.
    The chain is a KMC 9 speed and so far has been ok and quiet.
    I posted a link to the FC EBB in an earlier forum thread, but it's easy to find if you google.
    FC EBB

singlespeedstu

Nice "Jones" job on the crank.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘First Single Speed Build’ is closed to new replies.