Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • First sick day in 6 years…… Dodgy takeaway content
  • bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Well after 6 years of never calling in sick the wife had to stop me from going into work this morning after eating a chinese from hell on the sunday night…

All seemed fine “heard this one is good”
    Up until when severe cramping pains and the urge to be sick hit me like a brick wall. Now normally i have eating habits of a stray dog.. Anything and everything will stay down… But not this time.

Literally all night running to the bathroom… The mrs rang up the takeaway asking how the chicken was prepared…. “We boil in the morning and refrigerate until its up for order, we make it hot hot though to be safe”……

What should i do now feeling nearly normal only had fluids today. But what should be done about the “hot hot” guy. Not happy ive had to break my non sick record 🙁

m360
    Free Member

Not happy ive had to break my non sick record

Well the only person that cares about that is you.

Regarding the food, I’d phone the local council food safety dept and let them know, there may be other cases from this place (if it was that). Also they may want to take a sample of your food so keep any packaging/sample until you’ve spoken to them.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Still got some left in a tub will keep hold of it and ring up local authority tomorrow. Just pride myself on not being a “man flu” victim every other week or after a Heavy weekend.

Drac

Sounds more like gastro-enteritis.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

I didnt want to be too descriptive with it being tea time and all… One min i was fine the next slight pain and the urge came and dint stop until 6am this morn..

bearnecessities

I took my first days off sick last week for roughly the same period as you, about six years. Tbh I used to see it as something to be proud of, but **** it, I was ill.

It was kind of liberating. Might have some more next week.

GWS

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Ive got to admit having the house to myself and the dogs just sipping lucozade and catching up on gotham was nice… I do think that the unbroken sick records a thing of the past that employers look at now as so many do have days off.

shaungero
    Free Member

I had my first sick day for the year today too. Had a cx race yesterday and after the first 2 laps felt like I could have died but pushed through in poor form and have been in bed since. Sweats ands feel like a truck has hit me. Get better mate

spooky_b329

Not necessarily the chicken, rice and other stuff like beans sprouts are also high risk.

And if they cooked the chicken and properly reheated, is there actually anything wrong with that? Its commonplace/safe to do at home.

What else did you eat that day? I had food poisoning a while back, I blamed it on the KFC that evening (brand new store and so probably poorly trained staff) as I’d left a bit thinking the texture was a bit ‘uncooked’ but then I am fussy about how well cooked it is, but I’d also had a fry up cafe breakfast that morning so I’ll never know. (only customers in there – always choose a busy cafe etc)

A good sick record will always have the odd absence, your employer can spot the skivers/hangover club a mile off though. Lots of short absences are a giveaway. What sick policy does your employer have though? If they use the Bradford Factor I wouldn’t rush back in tomorrow, 1 day or 5 days it counts as one absence, but if you go back on day 2 and then aren’t right and take another day off its a second absence, and depending on how low they’ve set the threshold this could trigger the ‘attendance procedure’ even though you were trying to do the right thing!

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Id had toast in the morning with a brew
    And a pasty at lunch with another brew and a lemon tart.
    Then the takeway. Thai green curry with efr and chips and steamed dumplings.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Do you want a medal?

I’d hazard a guess that your heroism has caused more sick days than it has saved.

IdleJon

rice and other stuff like beans sprouts are also high risk.

It’s been a long time since I did my food science degree but I seem to remember two key points. Poorly kept/reheated rice was responsible for most food poisoning (but is fairly short term, the sort you get in the middle of the night and is gone next morning iirc) and most food poisoning other than that takes longer to appear than 12 hours.

I may be wrong, as I say it’s a long time ago.

spooky_b329

Poorly kept/reheated rice was responsible for most food poisoning (but is fairly short term, the sort you get in the middle of the night and is gone next morning iirc)

Thats good to hear, first time I ever had Chinese I properly stuffed myself but was then ill all night. Missed a day at work, boss accused me of lying as ‘you don’t get food poisoning that quick’.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

I work alone and not in a office based place of work. So my “sickness” that ive still turned up to work with has only ever effected my wellbeing and not others around me as there isnt anyone around me to contract it.

andyl
    Free Member

Still got some left in a tub

Eat some more and see if it happens again.

Your sick record is screwed now anyway 😉

spooky_b329

😆

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The thing to do is to go to your doctors who will then ask for a stool sample which will then be analysed to decide exactly what was/is wrong with you. The last meal is what people normally blame for this type of illness but it can often be something else or an earlier meal . If it were the rice or the chicken then I would expect a large proportion of their customers would be ill .

monde
    Free Member

Wont be the chicken as that takes 24-48 hours before the symptoms kick in. Will most probably be the rice and you have a touch of Bacillus cereus. Most common food poisoning due to rice sitting in an ambient temperature for too long and bacteria multiplying on it.

The only way to know is to produce a sample for your DR!! Hence the reason most low level food poisoning cases are never reported or dealt with.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Eat some more and see what happens hahah im not up for that on this occasion wasnt the best experiance.

Normally if your sick you feel better after it… I felt worse and the term both ends came into effect.. I used to think that was just a myth.. My boss knows what im like and not one to be taking days off etc. Im the only one who asks for weekend work (enhanced rate and extra holidays help).

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

So really if im better now and sickness and pains stopped i should be ok. The wife had rice too and she said she felt sick but she was ok. Ive heard about the rice thing before that being the biggest cause of FP that people overlook.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Both ends simultaneuosly is not a myth. It hurts.

Drac

Nope. Rice is the worst it causes botalism that tends to hang around a bit.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

I feel sorry for the mrs tbh she sat up all night as shes never seen me like this. Going to have some toast and go in tomorrow hopefully was my body ridding all the rubbish and nothing has happened today.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Nope. Rice is the worst it causes botalism that tends to hang around a bit.

POSTED 5 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

There is no such thing as Botalism and if you meant Botulism then you are wrong about it’s cause and it is also a very serious and potentially fatal illness although one that is fairly rare in adults .

Rustychain
    Free Member

EHO here.

As you’d expect, we get calls about this all the time. People often assume it’s the last place they ate out that caused the illness. But most food poisoning is caused in the home.

The Chinese could be the cause. The usual suspects are bacillus cereus (from the rice) or salmonella/campylobacter (most likely cross contamination from chicken/eggs rather than being under cooked).

This time of year it could also be viral (Norovirus/winter vomiting virus), which has a quick onset period and is highly contagious eg you can contract it from door handles.

Suggest you contact your local environmental health department to see if they’re interested (cut backs due to austerity might mean they’re not). I should point out it’s very difficult to prove the source of food poisoning unless you have an outbreak.

Finally, what is the Hygiene Rating of the business? Always worth checking!

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/

Is that enough info, or should I get my coat??? 🙂

Drac

I’m sure you knew what I meant but thanks for being so condescending and for reenforcing my point of how nasty it is.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Another EHO here.
    No disrespect to anyone but there’s a lot of ill informed shite on this thread.
    Listen to Rustychain, he’s got it spot on.
    Only to be expected in our line of work

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Now you say about a bug… One of my riding buddies had the same thing other day but thought nothing of it.. Literally jumped off his bike and stared pukeing in a bush and “we need to go NOW” lol that lasted a day then his daughter had it day after…. Now me…

Drac

You can keep the £5

bearnecessities

but thanks for being so condescending

Refreshing to see you on the receiving end 🙂

jools182
    Free Member

I really feel for the op regarding food poisoning. It’s bloody awful. I have a real fear of it

I don’t understand why people feel the need to brag about having no days off sick. It’s not a competition. I really don’t want to be sick at all, but it’s not like anyone has got a choice in it. Some people have better health than others, that’s basically it. As for all those feckers bringing colds in to the office to share around, it’s not appreciated

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well as you have been out of practice the got the squits reason is a good one it’s hard to ask more questions…

As for sick leave records it’s the best thing about working from home avoiding the hero/contractors infecting the rest of the office.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘First sick day in 6 years…… Dodgy takeaway content’ is closed to new replies.