Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • First shot at tubeless
  • fenn123
    Free Member

Hi, I tried doing loads of searches but ended up confused. I have just bought a set of Easton xct ea 70 that are tubeless ready wheels. I have bought some valves and Stan’s no tubes sealant. I have a few tyres such as conti race/x kings that are folding but not the protection ones. Could I use these if I use the sealant? I also have a wired mountain king. I was thinking mountain king front and x king rear.

Thoughts?

parkesie
    Free Member

Just go get covered in tyre jizz. Maybe do it outside 😉

jekkyl

You’ll need some sort of tape too, stans stuff or some round say electrians tape does same job.

fenn123
    Free Member

Does that mean I can use standard contis then? Read loads and seems like they may take a few days to seal and not leak?

What’s the verdict on mountain king front and x king rear for xc?

northend1881
    Free Member

I thought they used the EA90 UST rim so would not need tape?

fenn123
    Free Member

I believe the T in XCT means tubeless ready.

Speshpaul

I run normal folding contis tubeless.

northend1881
    Free Member

My ea90’s are UST, OP should check if the rim has the ust cert marking on the rim next to the valve

fenn123
    Free Member

Northend – they are tubeless ready rims thanks.

What about the wired mountain king tubeless? Read that wired could damage the tubeless strip on rims.

Yak

As speshpaul said – standard conti’s are fine tubeless with sealant.

Yak

Not sure how the bead can damage the strip. When inflated they are not touching surely?

mccraque

I’ve a set of EA90’s which are UST….so sealed spoke holes and no need for anything other than a compatible tyre. Assume the Ea70’s are exactly the same.

From experience – you should be able to seat and inflate a TR tyre without issue just using a slosh of sealant.

With the Conti’s – if you get the Race sport, or protection versions….they have a tubeless bead and will go up relatively easily with sealant and a track pump. That said, the bead is a little more baggy that a true UST – which may potentially cause you issues. I had this very problem when trying to mount one to a stans rim. It was just a little too baggy, but nothing that an extra lap of tape didn’t take out…..not that you should be taping the Ea70.

The UST specific Conti will be a bit heavier, but will fit a treat. Without sealant (although I still use sealant to prevent thorn flats and the like).

Edit – Conti’s site is pretty good to tell you which tyres will work…
    http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/mtb.shtml

fenn123
    Free Member

Thanks. The conti I have are new so do you recommend I move them on and buy tubeless tyres or try them?

Yak

Try what you have. Lots of standard or tubeless ready type tyres work fine with sealant. That’s whats the sealant is for (ignoring the thorn protection part). The sealant replaces the extra air-tight layer that UST tyres have.

stimpy
    Free Member

I run MK2 up front and X King rear, both tubeless on a ghetto setup. It’s a great combo IMHO.

Scrub the insides of the Contis with a scourer and some soapy water to get rid of the mold gunk – they’ll seal up a lot quicker if you do this.

Use more soapy water to help seat the bead in the rim.

You’ll need sealant for any non-UST tyres, but as mccraque says you’d be well advised to stick sealant in UST tyres too.

fenn123
    Free Member

Thanks for all replies.

Going to try mountain king front and x king rear.

mccraque

Difficult to say if it will work or not – you can give it a bash but I’ve had mixed results with tyres that aren’t TR ready or have TR beads.

If your MK or X King don’t are not the UST, Racesport or Protection, then they’ll not have the tubeless bead (which locks into place). That’s not to say it won’t work. But if you do get it up, I am not sure if that will have any effect on burping etc. Am sure there will be people that offer dissenting views, who have had success, but I am always more inclined to trust something specific to the task. The UST bead of the EA90 is a bit different to the beadlock of a Stans rim, the latter being designed to turn normal tyres tubeless. a UST system is designed specifically for UST/TR beads.

Give it a go, if it doesn’t work, sell them.

as a mounting tip, slosh the sealant around the rim first, and then I always pat the tyres all the way around…seems to push them into place a little better. And don’t have any pressure points on the tyre when you try to inflate it. (eg wheel on the floor. Better mounted to an upturned bike.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘First shot at tubeless’ is closed to new replies.