Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • First roadbike- (Budget)- Advice
  • Travis

My CX (Kona Jake) is good all rounder.
    Does the club rides (39/48 up front, but have straight through block on the back) I have a rack on it during the week for my daily commute (30km each way) and I have a hook on the rear for the trailer for the wee one.

A few minutes changing it all over is fine for me.

Although, I do look at getting a nicer road bike in the future…… just because n+1

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I'm in the same boat atm, can't decide what to go for. A friend has just bought a new Specialized Allez Sport (?) for £600 and the kit on that seems the best for that price. Spend the extra hundred and you can get a Boardman which has the spec of a £800 bike so is good value. I looked at a Trek 1.2 which for the compact (coming from a single speed road bike so 2 rings seem plenty) is £625. Lovely bike, looks more expensive than it is and has similar kit to the Specialized but a slightly lower spec crank set but maybe nicer Bontrager finishing kit.
    Hopefully though I am looking at a Trek 1.5 at the weekend which is second hand and might save me a few pennies.

Don't forget that the Sora / Tiagra range this year has technology from last year's / year before that's. Same with MTB stuff really 2010 Deore could be compared to a previous year or two's XT.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I picked up a nearly-new Giant OCR for £250, it's more than capable, light enough for a first bike with a nice geometry, nice and sprinty, carbon forks etc. I know someone who competes and comes fairly well up the ranks on an old steely budget bike (he's just bought a carbon frame, but in the same geometry etc, because he wanted more bling but liked his current bike).

Spending a fortune isn't necessary, unlike MTBs where quality really makes a huge difference, road stuff seems fairly reasonable from the ground up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

Kona Jake you say?

I wouldn't go near Ribble unless you paid me.

Thats quite a cruel line. I would if they didnt give me two dates -the latter being 7weeks. I asked for refund.

headfirst
    Free Member

Oh dear, so I might not get my 2009 crimbo present until xmas 2010???? 😥

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i got a cheap 2nd hand road bike, fitted rack and 'guards and now its my commyter/pub/tescos bike that can do longer rides as well. alu frame, steel forks, sora groupset. it all works fine.

i'm never going to get into road biking or join a club or anything, outright speed isn't important so i just went with something cheap and versatile.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Don't forget that the Sora / Tiagra range this year has technology from last year's / year before that's. Same with MTB stuff really 2010 Deore could be compared to a previous year or two's XT.

Not quite true of Sora as far as I know – that still has the tiny little upshift button that is hard to reach from anywhere except the hoods, whereas tiagra has a proper shift lever you can reach from the drops like the fancy groupsets.

Joe

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘First roadbike- (Budget)- Advice’ is closed to new replies.