Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • First road ride today
  • paulevans
    Free Member

I live and breath mountain biking, but i’m open to new experiences too.

So, this moring at 7:30am i sent off with my mate on my first proper road ride. Headed off from Windermere to Ambleside then onto Coniston, Skelwich Bridge, Elterwater and Grasmere, back to Ambleside and home via Troutbeck.

All in 40 miles and c. 3000 feet of climbing and back home by 10:30 with a half hour coffee stop in Ambleside.

Really enjoyed it. Great views this morning with teperature inversions all over the place.

First time on my, new to me, Boardman Team Carbon – went like a dream!!

Looking forward to the next outing.

frazered
    Free Member

sounds a great first ride. was the bike all set up straight off for you?

i did the same on mine today – new btwin triban 3 – did 23 miles and moved up the strava league tables on the segments need me.

needed to stop a couple of times to adjust my riding position and need to get rid of the not so comfy saddle and move away from the basic pedals that came with the bike.

mboy
    Free Member

Excellent, glad to hear it!

Oddly enough just been thinking about how my riding has gone recently, and for the last 2 months, 80% or more of my riding has been on my road bike. Why? Various reasons, but after a Mountain Bike ride today that left me quite cold for various reasons, road riding is making a lot of sense to me most of the time right now!

Went out on the MTB today, and I almost feel dirty for saying this, but I think I’d have rather gone out on my road bike today! I’ve spent the last 15 years or so a dyed in the wool mountain biker, but right now I’m just not feeling the love for it so much. Maybe it’s lack of time, lack of good weather, or just the fact I can actually ride from my house for 2 hours and get a good workout (rather than load the bike in the car, drive for 30mins to an hour, spend 3-4 hours on the bike for the same workout, then have to drive home, get clean and dry etc.). Dunno, whatever, not too fussed about riding MTB’s right now and quite enjoying riding the road bike!

paulevans
    Free Member

With the weather we’ve (all) been having over the past few weeks/months i have to admit that it was refreshing to be able to ride straight from the door on dry roads and arrive back home not covered in sheet sh!t and ticks!!

Please don’t get me wrong, i’m still a mountain biker at heart, but sometimes a change is as good as a rest. I’ll still be out on my MTB tomorrow evening and i know that it’ll be great!

postierich
    Free Member

Pah, if your riding time is limited I suppose road biking ticks some boxes for you,weathers not been great but c,mon mtfu 😕 was you out with Pete on his electric bike Paul.

Mboy you should know bloody better!

paulevans
    Free Member

Frazered, luckily didn’t seem to have to do too much fettling whilst out today. Little mess with seat height and all seemed to be fine and dandy.

Might have a look at my stem height as i have learnt today that i’m not as supple as i thought/hoped i was. Got a little lower back pain, but to be honest that could be due to the change in riding position.

paulevans
    Free Member

Postie – yeah out with Pete. tell you what, it’ll be a good day when electronic shifting is standard for all, MTB and road. Riding alongside him, his shifting was effortless and crisp with no front cage rub.

What you been upto recently? Fancy doing Gatesgarth/Nan Bield sometime soon?

mboy
    Free Member

Mboy you should know bloody better!

The love will come back mate, but my local trails have all been damaged (permanently) by the extreme weather we had this “summer”, I have to get in the car and travel to any riding destinations (at least 30 mins each way) which is increasingly expensive and annoying, and the crap conditions wear stuff out on the bikes a lot quicker.

Anyway, whatever it is, just enjoying being on the road bike more than riding Mountain Bikes right now. Expect it’s probably just a phase though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘First road ride today’ is closed to new replies.