Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • First road bike …. Crazy not to go the disc route?
  • letmetalktomark

I’m long overdue owning a proper road bike.

I’d like something I can get out on in the evenings, use for longer rides and not be a hodgepodge of 29er bits pretending to be road bike bits 😳

I’d like to self build partly down to finances but also because it’s more fun than buying off the peg.

I’m not yet decided on material or style ( road, cx, touring etc ) but I’d like to gauge thoughts on braking from the STW brain.

My head says disc but my worry is that I would end up with a heavy bike much like what I already have I.e. A 29er on slicks and so my heart says std caliper but then my head says rim wear etc ………

Help!

otsdr
    Free Member

Depends on how you define heavy… A carbon frame + fork will get you to a bit under 9kgs, I think (my small Escapade weighs 10.0kgs for reference)
    The Shimano hydros are just awesome, I wouldn’t imagine anything else for stopping duties.

downshep

If money and weight matter, have a keek at some end of season sales of 2015 models with rim brakes. That should help you decide. There’s some stunning bargains at Paul’s, Winstanleys, Wheelbase etc. Just don’t expect it to be worth much in 3 years.

Particularly bearable if you already have a burlier bike that takes guards and a rack.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with discs, they are great on my GT Grade (ace bike by the way) and on my Surly Straggler (also great). If I was going to use it a lot in winter I would have discs. Or if I wanted the bike to have any off road capabilities I would have discs. But if it was for fair weather cycling I would still have conventional brakes. I expect there will be less deals on bikes with disc brakes?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you intend to race, the luddites at the UCI dictate that thou shalt use early 20th century technology, so suck it.
    If you want to ride, get discs.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Been done to death elsewhere 🙂

Reckon if it’s your first road bike and you’re not going to race on it, then you might as well. May be the occasional bit of faff with brake bleeding, a tiny bit of extra weight and cost, but there’s not much in the way of downsides.

Might be worth popping down your LBS and trying one and seeing what you think.

If you want to ride, get discs.

Don’t quite understand this. I don’t have discs on any of my road bikes and ride a lot, am I doing it wrong 🙂

allfankledup

Bleeding ? Mechanical via spyres are fine….

I’d just go for the absolute best deal you can get. I spend more time pedalling than braking, and the rim brakes aren’t that bad (they’ve been the approach so far)

butcher

Disc brakes on a road bike are not really a deal breaker. The only time I experience problems with rim brakes is when it’s REALLY pissing down. It’s not like on a mountain bike where you’re riding through mud and wet grass… Your rims generally stay fairly dry, 99% of the time. Those other times, yes disks would be great.

If you keep your bike relatively clean, then rim wear isn’t much of an issue. They’ll stand up to tens of thousands of miles.

If you were riding all the way through winter on it, disks would definitely be more compelling. CX bike, disks would be good. Your average road bike…..meh. Nice to have in some situations, especially in the British climate. It’s not just the UCI holding them back though. They’ve started using them in racing now, but a lot of teams and pros are indifferent to them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rim brakes aren’t that bad (they’ve been the approach so far)

See also;
    Downtube shifters
    Non-index downtube shifters
    Clips and straps
    Etc.

Just because they’ve “been the approach so far” doesn’t mean they can’t be improved on. Disc brakes are quite simply better brakes. Yes, rim brakes can be lighter, but why aren’t you using them on your MTB? Oh yes, because you want better brakes. Brakes which work the same, regardless of the weather, brakes which work the same regardless of your wheel going a little out of true, etc.

Why wouldn’t you want something better?

somafunk

Rim brakes just suck, especially if you wish to stop when wet or if you are to ride throughout winter conditions where you will be replacing brake pads on a monthly basis, replacing rims after a few thousand miles due to salt/grit contamination of the pads. Not to mention leaving that shitty black braking surface everywhere.

There is absolutely no quantifiable reason not to choose a disc braked road bike, unless you are a luddite.

PS : my personal opinion btw but if you disagree then you are obviously wrong.

PSS : argue against my reasoning if you wish but don’t get upset when there is no reply as arguing on an online forum is the preserve of weirdos.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

butcher has it imo, too much debate on this forum about brakes on road bikes. I can go 1000’s of miles on the same pads, I’ve no idea what some people are doing. Yes for a winter/sometimes off road type thing but for a pure road bike it wouldn’t be a priority. Not saying they are bad per se but lots of other factors would come first.

corroded
    Free Member

Definitely disc. There’s a reason there are loads of rim-brake road bike bargains around.

Weight isn’t really an issue, unless you’re looking to get selected for the Tour de France – plenty of carbon disc road bikes around for under 19lbs (for perspective, my steel disc road bike is 22.5lbs). Geometry and compatibility might be an issue. Modern road disc bikes also tend to have clearance for wider tyres. The upshot is that you’ll either have slightly longer chain stays or some sort of fudge (the Cervelo R3 disc has an off-set chain set, the Specialized Tarmac proprietary rear hubs). So, do your research.

brakes
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you want something better?

expense
    maintenance
    availability
    reliability
    compatibility
    weight

Having said that I should be building an all purpose road bike next year and would like it to have discs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

expense

Not really.

maintenance

Hardly.

availability

Readily.

reliability

How are they on your MTB?

compatibility

Yep. Got that covered.

weight

Take a dump before you ride.

😉

boxelder

I only ride road bike when it’s dry and rim brakes are more than adequate. If it’s wet, I use a disc equipped CX bike.
    Will you ride in the rain?

butcher

There is absolutely no quantifiable reason not to choose a disc braked road bike, unless you are a luddite.

I have no doubt that one day disk brakes will be the norm on road bikes. And that they will be better. Given the choice of two identical bikes, one with disks, and one without (and let’s assume they’re identical in weight), I’d go for disks every time. Hell, I’d probably take a weight penalty for them.

The difficulty at the moment, is that there’s not a lot to choose from. You’ll pay more. It’ll weigh more. And there are plenty of other, just as important factors to take into account. If you can find the right bike with disk brakes. Go for it. If not, don’t sweat it. It’s not a biggy.

tommytowtruck

What cfh said. If you’re buying a new road bike I can’t think of a good reason not to go for one with disc brakes (unless you are racing). Bloody marvellous things.

whatgoesup

My 2p worth of experience

I’ve two road bikes

Caad8 with 105 rim brakes.
    CaadX with Shimano hyd brakes.

In the dry they’re the same, powerful, reliable, 1-finger (from the drops) is plenty powerful,

In the rain, discs are pretty much the same as the dry.
    The rim brakes are plain scary – pull lever, wait a very long couple of seconds for the rim to dry off and then slow down a bit, maybe later get some stopping action a while later. Scary, very scary. I now refuse to take it out in the rain.

More context
    For my next “sunday best” road bike (likely a Supersix carbon jobbie next year) I’m only considering rim brakes (lighter).

Long story short
    Depends on what you’re going to do with it!

wilburt
    Free Member

You’ll get the disc evangulists but it just doesn’t matter, road cycling is about you not the bike.

Get a decent alloy road bike, maybe one than can take guards if it turns out road is not for you and the bike becomes a commuter/pub thing. Don’t worry about the gears,brakes and what not they all work ok.

Put aside 3/400 quid for proper pedals, bibs, jersey gillet etc, even a garmin and HRM. Then ride a lot, ride on your own, ride with mates,ride with a clubif you like it buy some nice wheels and more bits,you’ll also then know if you can’t live without disc brakes.

edit: make sure it looks nice, thats the most important thing!

dragon
    Free Member

For me disc brakes aren’t quite there yet. Expensive, limited choice, standards all over the shop, less aero and slower acceleration due to the extra rotating weight. Not being able to race on them is also a pain.

schmiken

Yes there is. I have two PowerTap wheel sets that are not disc compatible and I don’t want to go through the faff of trying to sell them and buy disc compatible replacements.

cookeaa

There isn’t?

As with tweener wheels my old fashioned rim braked bike didn’t suddenly become unusable…

The braking isn’t as consistent in all weathers, the trade off is weight and cost (a whole new bike when I didn’t want one)..

Don’t get me wrong, the BB5s on my Gnarmac, bridalslayer are enough to convince me of the benefits but having a perfectly good road bike already and no real reason to replace it, keeping up with the revolution can wait a while…

pictonroad

If you can, try some of the new full hydraulic disk set up, they really are awesome, I’m a convert, will keep my rim brake bike as well but no way would I buy another one new.

tomd
    Free Member

I’m considering a new road bike with rim brakes. I would like discs but there is a huge jump in cost to get a bike with the Shimano hydraulics over something decent with a normal 105 groupset. My local riding isn’t very hilly so in reality other than having the “new thing” there would be next to no real world advantage.

I’m also fairly sure I will spend less time fixing the rim braked bike over a set of hydraulics that have had a winters’ worth of salt.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I think the OP answered his own question…..” Due to finances “
    If money is a bit tight then forget about disc…
    I don’t use disc and I’ve had no problems with rims for the last 4 years….and I’m going to build up another bike next year…and I’m going to stick with rims brakes

If you want better braking for your rims …..change the pads to Swiss stop, expensive but worth every penny!!

kerley
    Free Member

If you were riding all the way through winter on it, disks would definitely be more compelling. CX bike, disks would be good. Your average road bike…..meh. Nice to have in some situations, especially in the British climate.

Agree with this. If you are riding on dry days then not worth worrying about brake type on road.

As for finances it is not usually cheaper to build especially if picking up a road bike in a sale somewhere.

gaidong
    Free Member

Ooooh, I’ve never posted a picture of my disc’d road bike before. I ordered this from Rourke in September 2014, picked up in May this year. To celebrate a permanent academic job I convinced the wife I needed a custom commuter… Frame is in Reynolds 931 stainless steel (953, though stronger has thinner walls that can’t take disc braking forces), some carbon fork, Rohloff hub with Gates Carbon drive, Middleburn cranks, Ritchey finishing kit AND TRP Hylex hydraulic disc brakes. The bike’s not very light but I didn’t ask for that (nothing is light with a Rohloff) but it shifts me to work very agreeably. I have a long steep descent, often in heavy traffic, and in rough weather the brakes are great. And I get to ride through Versailles with a British racing green machine with ‘Handmade in Staffordshire’ down the seat post 😀 !

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve recently ventured into the realms of disc brakes on a CX bike (mechanical Spyres). I’m not convinced that they’re that great a leap from rim brakes tbh (not ridden in the pishing rain on them yet). Maybe as I get more used to them (and hopefully fitter) this will change.

I’d love to try proper hydraulic (but the cost is prohibitive for me).

The problem about lack of consensus over mounts does make it a bit hit or miss atm. However if you have a preference for one manufacturer over another than hopefully an upgrade / replacement path would be available. Let’s face if disc do really take off then rim brakes are going to go the way of 26″….

OP as someone has already pointed out, if this is your first road bike you are unlikely to be racing so just choose what you fancy/can afford. Chances are you’ll buy the wrong size or style but until you’ve entered that world you can’t really know. What ever you get should last you at least five years. Ands that a lifetime away 😀 hopefully by then they’ll have arrived at consensus!

gaidong
    Free Member

And if you squint you can even see “Gaidong” written on the top tube – proof it’s mine and all. Got all the important stuff covered… 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

depends if you want so-so brakes or decent ones. Pretty easy really.

13thfloormonk

I’ve never had a disc brake (in 15-20 years of riding) that hasn’t squeeled at one point or another, nor have I ever had one that hasn’t ended up with warped rotors or sticky pistons, leading to rub/chiming etc.

I’d consider the above a necessary evil on an MTB, but on a road bike it drove me to distraction, I want my road bike to be silent, simple and fast. Disc brakes to me are none of those things.

Since I don’t race I’ll take the slightly and occasionally increased stopping distances and stick with my 105 callipers.

Disclaimer – A few years ago I would happily fiddle with brakes every other night, sanding pads, cleaning rotors, realigning callipers etc. but now I can’t be arsed, put it down to a fourth floor flat with no space and white carpets, does not encourage tinkering!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where do you ride that changing rim pads on a road bike is a monthly exercise ?

Even my cross bike after 4 years of 15k each way….. Was still on original rims and only 4th set of pads. – changed them at yearly service.

My road bike only seems to wear pads when in france descending off cols. other than that its usually natural gradiant that slows me down 🙂

bonzodog
    Free Member

Rim brakes here on my roadie.

I cant see how Id ever need anymore power (Ultegra).

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve worn one set of rim pads out in 3 all weather years and around 10k miles. I doubt disc pads would last that long.

Thought one of the main arguements for not using discs in the wet is the power overwhelms the tire grip, meaning more likely to lock and crash. I suppose that could be true for a rider who has only ever used rim brakes and is used to pulling the brakes as hard as they can and hoping when braking in the wet!

Next roadie purchase will likely be disc, but that will be in 3 years or so…

cookeaa

Let’s face if disc do really take off then rim brakes are going to go the way of 26″….

Possibly but the actual “performance benefits” on road bikes (road racing and TT) are subtly different and debatable IMO braking performance, the ability to stop/slow down has always sat well behind a whole bunch of other criteria: weight, aerodynamics, even reliability will have as much influence on racing decisions as sponsors pushing the new and shiny… And if there’s one thing that influences road bike sales to regular cyclists it’s what the pro’s are racing on…

I still think there should be more 135mm spaced frames with disc mounts and a hole for a rim caliper to smooth the transition a bit, buy the lower spec rim brake build and move to discs later, or chuck your old parts on a new frame with a bit of “future proofing” even switch between light weight rim braked build in the summer and a heavier winter trainingdisc build on the same frame… it would actually make a lot of sense for quite a few people IMO, but no bugger makes such a frame at present so far as I know…

hillsplease

Discs and hydraulic ones at that. Having had a blow out on Monday coming down Holme Moss as I was mincing on wet roads (keeping it under 40 mph) it is something I am keen to avoid. At 17st the couple of lb for discs makes no odds to me. Blow outs on biggish descents are not pleasing.

brooess
    Free Member

I can’t think of anyone in my club who has discs, and we’re not a luddite or poorly paid club either… I think it’ll be some time before discs become the norm on road bikes, there’s just much less demand.

They’re a no brainer for MTB where quick, powerful braking is essential for control and safety – you’re riding on an unstable surface.

On the road it’s not quite the same dynamic, the use case isn’t as strong. My summer bike has done several thousand miles over 5 years (3k?) and I’m still on the original brake blocks. Essentially, road biking doesn’t require anything like as much braking as MTB and if you’re riding mainly in the dry, rim brakes are perfectly adequate. Discs would have been a total waste on this bike and just made it heavier and harder to accelerate.

My winter bike would benefit from discs in that it’s more likely to get ridden in the wet or damp, but on a typical ride I’m really not braking that much and brake blocks will last a couple of winters before being replaced.

My commuter on the other hand – lots of stop starting (I work in central London) and lots of wet riding – and I go through brake blocks one set per winter… I really like my current commuter so it’s a keeper but when I do come to replace it I suspect I’ll go for discs as they’re better for wet weather braking and I care less about the weight than I do on my other bikes.

solarider
    Free Member

Let’s put it this way. If the road bike standard were already discs and somebody invented rim brakes, they would never take off.

I understand people’s resistance to what basically amounts to having to buy at the very least a new frame, fork, wheels, brakes and possibly shifters (so virtually a new bike). But if you are going to buy a new bike anyway, why not go disc?

I can kind of understand the debate raging on the roadie forums, but since most of us on here probably already run hydraulic disc brakes on our mountain bikes, surely we don’t need convincing that disc brakes are the better choice, and will inevitably become the road bike norm (through nothing other than manufacturer supply rather than consumer demand).

deejayen
    Free Member

While rim brakes can be extremely scary and dangerous (memories of steel rims, rain, and ineffective brakes) a modern dual pivot (I’ve used Dura-Ace etc) with Swissstop pads gives superb braking. There’s ample power, plus great feel, and even steep descents and heavy rain don’t give cause for concern. Brake pads last for yonks, and they’re easy to change with cartridge holders. I don’t think I’d go out of my way to choose a bike with disc brakes.

Superficial
    Free Member

For me disc brakes aren’t quite there yet. Expensive, limited choice, standards all over the shop, less aero and slower acceleration due to the extra rotating weight. Not being able to race on them is also a pain.

Is that actually true? I haven’t done any sums but I’d have thought that since you can make disc rims much lighter due to lack of braking surface, any extra weight would offset by the fact that the moment of inertia is less (weight closer to the centre of the wheel).

I have 2 road bikes, one has discs. For a ‘Sunday best’ road bike or if you’re racing, I can see the argument for rim brakes, although I’d probably plump for discs personally. But for any other bike, discs every time IMO.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘First road bike …. Crazy not to go the disc route?’ is closed to new replies.