Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • First ride with Shimano shifters – how do you use yours?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Whilst accumulating bits to upgrade my chainset, I broke my elbow and patella.

I made it out for a first ride yesterday (20 mins on road, 5 mins off).

I changed from X0 3×9 to XT 3×10 (XTR crank and RF N/W).

I was very impressed with the crispness of the shifting. It felt more like the SRAM clunk as opposed to softer shifting on older Shimano shifters.

I like the idea of the two-way down shift with the new Shimano. I used my thumb for both up and down shifts but it didn’t feel quite as ergonomic as SRAM thumb shifters.

Is it because I’m coming from a few years of SRAM and I’ll go back to thumb and forefinger?

Does anyone else only use their thumbs on Shimano shifters? Do you agree that the ergonomics are a little off?

Mike

warpcow
    Free Member

I went from years of using Shimano to years of SRAM and back again. I found I much prefer just using my thumbs and have continued to do so on my current Shimano shifters. It’s just far more comfortable for me. I’d agree it’s not as comfortable as SRAM though. I run my shifters near vertical to make them as comfortable as possible.

jambaron
    Free Member

I have been trying to use my thumbs only with my shimano shifters.

I’m considering using some sugru to make them more comfortable.

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got grip and XT, I’ll keep going but the XT just doesn’t feel right in some way.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was very impressed with the crispness of the shifting. It felt more like the SRAM clunk as opposed to softer shifting on older Shimano shifters.

It’s been like this since the redesign of XT when it was still 9sp in 2008. I used SRAM for a long time because I didn’t like the vagueness of Shimano but since then I’ve been gradually phasing SRAM out on my bikes. Which can be hard when about 1/3 of the bikes I buy come with it!
    That said, I’m not really bothered, both work well enough. The only disadvantage with SRAM is it seems the rear mechs are a bit weak, the jockey wheels especially.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Does anyone else only use their thumbs on Shimano shifters? Do you agree that the ergonomics are a little off?

Yes, habit after using SRAM Attack shifters for years. Agree that the ergonomics aren’t as good, but I suppose with that trigger being bi-directional and needing to be reached from either side it has to be a compromised middle position.

rOcKeTdOg

Doesn’t the NW ruin the shifting as it’s designed for 1x?

Took me ages to get used to the limited shifting with Sram after shimano I keep forgetting you can’t use 2 way up shift on it

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t get how you can use shift with anything other than your thumbs without taking your finger off the brakes?

40mpg

I used shimano for years, then got a fatty with SRAM last year. It was only when someone asked if I missed the option with shimano that I realised I could use more than just thumbs!

I definitely prefer SRAM now, and their brakes are getting better too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Middle finger braking I assume but why would you be changing down a gear whilst braking?

I am sure you can think of scenario but is unlikely you are both pedalling and braking or slowing down accelerating

OT I gave up shimano but recently got XT its fine and i use both without issue
    I have no preference anymore [and price decides]

deviant
    Free Member

I use thumbs to push Shimano shifters away when changing to easier gears and then use index finger to pull lever towards me when clicking down to harder gears, the ergonomics work much better that way than thumbs only.

To whoever mentioned taking a finger off the brakes to do this, yes I don’t ride with fingers hovering over the brake levers, never have done and don’t on my motorcycle either. It takes a split second to grab the brakes if needed, I’ve never felt it a problem myself?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Same as deviant here. Thumb for the big lever, finger for the little lever.

matther01
    Free Member

I tend to use my finger on the downs as using my thumb gives me less grip on the bars for some reason, and use my thumb going from ups to flat and along the flats. Nice to have the option if anything else. Also much better if your using a Saint shifter with the bigger levers IME.

kelvin

Zee shifter on one bike, I use both finger and thumb to shift. Light action.
    New XTR on the other, can only use thumb to shift. Clunky action.

Surprised how different the two shifters are… prefer the cheaper Zee to be honest.

Andy-R

makecoldplayhistory – Member
    Whilst accumulating bits to upgrade my chainset, I broke my elbow and patella.

I made it out for a first ride yesterday (20 mins on road, 5 mins off).

Mike

As above – you shouldn’t be using a N/W chainring on a 3×10 setup.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

It was a typo. I now have 1×10 with the N/W. (and a secret granny ring for special occasions).

I think some sugaru could be a good idea.

I guess there does have to be come compromise so that that there’s a two-way shoft. I’m very happy with it all though.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve recently switched both bikes yo Shimano because Sram clutch mechs aren’t that great. I’ve been a big fan of Sram for years and love their clunky shift action but the clutch mechs just don’t seem to work that well.

I have Zee mechs on both bikes, o e has a Zee shifter and the other a Saint. I don’t really like the action on either or the ergonomics but I put up with it fir a quiet bike. My previous X0 shifter was lovely to use and being able to a just the lever positions was lovely. I use my thumb on both levers on my Shimano shifters but I think that’s after years of using Sram trigger shifters.

rOcKeTdOg

It was a typo. I now have 1×10 with the N/W. (and a secret granny ring for special occasions).

You mean a ghost granny 🙂

kimbers

I use my thumb and index finger, xt and slx shifters,
    I used to love my rocket / attack shifters with shimano mechs

My new bike came with SRAM and it was OK while I ran it but the difference between sram and shim isnt that much these days and I do like the 2 way release
    Tbh id happily run eithet , Ultimately though the SRAM mechs just aren’t tough enough ime so shimano all the way

kelvin

Adjust the lever positions was lovely.

Shimano used to offer this as well, and should bring it back ASAP.
    Personally preference is everything… not everyone wants their shifters in the same position, and not all brake levers are the same.

rocketman
    Free Member

I prefer SRAM but I have Shimano on one bike. Thought the finger shifting would be quite useful at first but soon reverted to thumbs only

Still use it now and then but only when I think about it.

teasel
    Free Member

Middle finger braking I assume but why would you be changing down a gear whilst braking?

I am sure you can think of scenario but is unlikely you are both pedalling and braking or slowing down accelerating.

I middle finger brake and change down quite a bit when approaching lights and junctions etc. getting into the right gear while decelerating. It allows a more fluid approach to town riding IME.

I don’t use it much off-road unless I’m riding with Kryton57 at Swinley and then it’s essential to stop running over the top of him on every berm but still be in the right gear to avoid your knees exploding when he gets going again…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I never use thumb only with mine I actually forgot that you can use just the thumb it doesn’t feel right to me.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘First ride with Shimano shifters – how do you use yours?’ is closed to new replies.