Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • First Ride to Work done – a few questions
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Checked it out and finally got the Push as the Van was in for it's MOT.

Strapped the Panniers on to my GF's bike and packed up to go to work 15miles each way.

Got up a bit earlier and got sorted and set off couple of brief stops to sort out the saddle height and pannier racking, missed a turning did an extra 2.5 miles and got to work in 1hr30 Quick shower – realised I had forgotten a towel so bike top used. Sat down cup of tea and muesli by 8:30. Outbound

So for the return leg I checked the route a few more times found the turning and set off. Decided to challenge myself to get home in under an hour pace felt OK mainly in the saddle and never really out of breath. approaching the top of the drive in about 55mins. Was feeling Ok so carried on to pick the Van up (10 more miles) Homward

What I have learned
    Pack a Towel
    Packing means putting the Panniers on the bike and finding you wallet the night before
    Riding to work is good fun!

What I have to ask the Experts
    Is it normal to be quicker on the way home? Not sure If I was holding back on the way there/worried about running out of steam 3 miles short

Any tips for improving or keeping to a pace – Using Sports tracker but that only tells me what I did and a watch to guestimate how my pace is going.

Eat before or after or both?

Using a flat barred trek touring bike any tips for what to move up to – roads are very bad here and budget is tiny!

markenduro
    Free Member

I leave towel, shower gel, deo, trousers, shoes etc at work and take clean shirt and grundies in every day.
    Quick drink of water then out the door in the mornings, 12.5 mile route for me and have breakfast at work. I'm normally a bit slower on way home as riding into wind (SW direction). Stick with the bike you have if budget is tight, different (thinner) tyres could make it roll better, I use schwalbe marathon 700×32, mainly because they are puncture resistant.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I don't tend to eat before riding to work as it makes me feel a bit sick. I make sure I have plenty of water in my body though, hydration is most important. Although if I am going on a bit of a loop I make sure I have energy bars in my pocket or SIS Go in the bottle.

Sometimes the work bound ride is quicker, sometimes the homeward bound is the faster of the two. It depends on wind direction and how late I am running.

bigsi
    Free Member

I normally find the homeward leg in the quickest but only been doing it for a mth now.

Never have breakfast before i leave the house.

Don't fit a bike computer or your just find yourself trying to beat your previous best time 🙄

Always leave as much stuff as you can at work. I take fresh boxer and socks each day but leave towel, trousers, shirt etc in the office and change them weekly (only do 3 days per week and one is a dress down day).

If your looking for a good cheap bike for commuting what about a cross bike, should be able to pick a half decent one up for £500 (although i plan to push the boat out early next year and get a Genesis Vapour 😛 )

And yes, commuting to work rocks 8)

DrP

Agree with leave as much at work as possible (locker?).
    Get mud guards (look jey, but you'll see why people put up with them!)
    Skinny tyres, be it on 26 or 700c wheels.
    I eat before the ride, but it's only 4 – 10 mile journey.

Enjoy it – it'll get quicker!

DrP

mikewsmith
    Free Member

was looking at a Kona Dew Drop until I missed out on Cycle to Work

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘First Ride to Work done – a few questions’ is closed to new replies.