Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • First ride since last autumn and severely disappointed
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My ankle has prevented me riding since the end of last summer when the trails were flowing beautifully.

I go out today and they are covered in branches, fallen trees and mostly under water.

I know we like natural trails but a little maintenance please! This trail was dry and ridable when I left. Now the puddles aren’t even consistent depths

The only new bit I liked was “The Bridge of Faith”
    This is the same 2 plank bridge about half way along No Dabs that has always been there but now it is under three inches of flowing mud so you have to ride onto the torrent believing the bridge will be there and you will not ride off the edge

scotroutes

You may have been prevented riding but I assume the place you were incarcerated also had windows?

🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

It’s probably like that due to people riding in wet conditions. Sometimes the best way to maintain trails is to not ride them.

soulwood
    Free Member

That looks awesome mate, is that why you took a photo? Stick some proper thin spiky mud tyres on, proper winter boots/gaiters and just enjoy it. As for the inconsistent depth puddles, isn’t that the fun of dropping in a big brown puddle? Thinking to yourself “how far down is this one?” I would have just glad to get out if I had been stuck inside since last year.

yossarian
    Free Member

Looks like the bogtrotters rode there before you did. Were there any baby robins with sore bottoms in the area?

Houns

Looks like 3 fat bikers rode through there before you. You have the wrong bike

Northwind

In related news, it rained a bit.

I had a shorter lay-off at the start of the year, but I noticed it’d been a bit rainy so my first ride back on was somewhere I knew would be good despite that. And lo,it was.

soulwood
    Free Member

“It’s probably like that due to people riding in wet conditions. Sometimes the best way to maintain trails is to not ride them.”

I see this comment a lot lately, but really how do we think “trails” were made in the first place? If people decided not to go anywhere as it was muddy the trails would have all but disappeared.

Lummox

so lordswood looks like that at the mo huh, don’t think i’ll bother for a bit.

CaptJon
    Free Member

soulwood – Member
    I see this comment a lot lately, but really how do we think “trails” were made in the first place? If people decided not to go anywhere as it was muddy the trails would have all but disappeared.

There’s a difference between riding established trails when they are too wet and not riding at all.

iainc

Why on earth would anyone ride along that mess ? Bizarre…..

Bazz

Compared to my local trails that’s actually in pretty good condition, I can barely see a branch or tree across the trail.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was really glad to get out on the bike in the sunshine, it was great and will be out again tomorrow.

That ‘trail’ is actually a fire road that I had to divert onto because the singletrackworld through the trees was blocked.

The puddle I parked in made me giggle because all the others I had rode through really carefully thinking they may be deep. By this point I had become complacent and decided it was all just surface water, ploughed into the puddle and just stopped.

Happy days and nearly spring!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

A few weeks a go, it was riding surprisingly well. That bit sadly is where the wrecked Landy at the crossroads was found, so I guess something went in to drag it out.

There are a lot of trees down at the moment there, and very little (none) trail maintenance. A lot of the older stuff down by the river seems to be disappearing due to lack of use now 🙁

It was pretty unpleasant at lunchtime when I went out for a quick spin.

jekkyl

When off road is like that go for long rural road/sustrans routes/canals/cuts rides instead.

basstronic
    Free Member

It was dry and dusty on Thursday night it must have rained since 😉

lucien

Houns – Member
    Looks like 3 fat bikers rode through there before you. You have the wrong bike

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Nope, just local chavs on stolen scooters/bikes/monkey bikes et al.

basstronic
    Free Member

Some of the trails have suffered but there is still a lot of good stuff, if anything it’s got a bit more technical
    But if sticky mud wet roots and puddles aren’t your thing I would say give it a miss

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s more the volume of trees down at the moment. I don’t fancy going for a ride with a chainsaw on my back for a bit of clearance.

Still, the locals will be used to a revving engine up there anyway. There was the usual ‘posse’ of yoofs on various stolen MX/minimoto/mopeds at the crossroads.

Northwind

I figured out a whole ago I can ziptie my 3 foot bowsaw to the side of my bike and there’s at most a 10% chance of cutting off my own leg. But it’s a wee bit offputting.

lucien

Still, the locals will be used to a revving engine up there anyway. There was the usual ‘posse’ of yoofs on various stolen MX/minimoto/mopeds at the crossroads.

Affectionately known as “pikey crossroads” in some parts

mattbee

Personally I’m just glad that the legendary Lordswood dust has been damped down a bit. Was running out of dry lube anyway and it may even be time to take the slick tyres off.

Didn’t make it out this Thurs but last weekend most of the trails were just as they always are, a bit squishy and damp. Sure the fallen trees will just change the lines on some stuff or end up being incorporated into dubious quality bridges and ‘north shore’, just like the rest.

Riding Lordswood prepares you for riding anywhere in the world. Well, anywhere that is muddy 364 days of the year, anyway…

noteeth
    Free Member

Riding Lordswood prepares you for riding anywhere in the world

Despite living in the British MTB mecca that is Bristol, I do miss Lordswood.

the usual ‘posse’ of yoofs

My fave memory of said yoof was the shrewd appraisal of my antique Bontrager as I rode past ’em: “mate, your bike is sh1t.”

8)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘First ride since last autumn and severely disappointed’ is closed to new replies.