Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • First ride out… Orange 29er
  • renton
    Free Member

Right I’m not going to beat about the Bush…..

Point this thing downhill and its like having an unfair advantage.

It really does monster stuff and feels in compete control and unfazed by stuff that would of had me walking down.

It’s not bad across country either in fact the only place I felt the weight of it was going uphill but then I’m a fat sod anyway so it was always goog to be the case.

It fits to. I’m very comfortable on it. Just need to change the bars for something wider. :mrgreen:

Renton is happy !!

weeksy

Sounds like my Commencal AM29 was…

however, soon it gets a bit dull and you want a bit faster in the other parts of the ride.

sandwicheater

Wicked.

Still never ridden a Five and would love to take a spin one day.

They can’t be all that bad if almost every other bike I see is a Five.

renton
    Free Member

One thing I’ve learnt is that you can’t stand up and mash the pedals on it. Boing boing.

GHill

Is that the Five 29er, or a Segment?

renton
    Free Member

Five 29.

Rickos
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    Sounds like my Commencal AM29 was…

however, soon it gets a bit dull and you want a bit faster in the other parts of the ride.

Explain? Did you go back to 26 or 27b or something? Or do you mean you just wanted an even faster 29er? I only ask as I may have made a mistake in buying a 27b wheeled bike because I was too chicken to jump straight to 29 and played it safe. My 29er hardtail is great and has got me thinking about 29 full sus…

v666ern
    Free Member

the stickers look much better btw – enjoy

did you use ‘that’ tyre in the end?

creamegg
    Free Member

One thing I’ve learnt is that you can’t stand up and mash the pedals on it. Boing boing.

decent shock/tune would sort that. Love my five, does everything from XC to downhill

legend
    Free Member

decent shock/tune would sort that

oh jesus lets not go down that route yet! Not “mashing” the pedals would be the first adjustment to make

renton
    Free Member

It climbs fine when sat down so I’m happy with that.

I did use that tyre but only today as ice got another on order.

renton
    Free Member

The way it picks up speed down a trail is unreal !!

jamesross
    Free Member

They may not be the quickest to the top of the hill but they are a serious weapon on the way back down. Doesn’t seem to matter how steep or rocky the descent is, they come back begging for more.

chiefgrooveguru

Renton is happy!!

Praise the Lord!

chestrockwell

The way it picks up speed down a trail is unreal !!

Very true. I’ve said before that it feels like an excited puppy pulling at the lead, trying to get away from you. Should have mine back up and running soon and can’t wait!

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I bet it’s not as good as my Trance! 😉

tazzymtb

Sweepstake for the tine it takes to be a Renton is unhappy as bike is now too long/short/tall/small/ive changed everything and it now ridea horribly etc….. from memory even your “is this bike too small for me” thread started with a love of the bike 😉

takisawa2

Its usually about now a photo of a filing cabinet appears…

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the kind words tazzy……

Here is a picture of said filing cabinet …..

tazzymtb

Renton I love your posts about bike dilemmas, they make my level of bike knobendery and indecision pale into comparison and feel really quite normal…you just publicise every last drop of angst 😀

robowns
    Free Member

Renton I love your posts about bike dilemmas, they make my level of bike knobendery and indecision pale into comparison and feel really quite normal…you just publicise every last drop of angst

Haha agreed.

You sound a decent guy, unfortunately a victim of spending as much time (or more) reading about bikes as riding them. Most on the forum are culprits, myself included, just usually we have the conversation in our head rather than post a thread every time.

Glad you think you’ve got it right this time.

chakaping
    Free Member

Innit, I’m sure others swap bikes more often than Renton – but just don’t create half a dozen threads each time they do it.

Let’s wish him a long and happy life together with his new filing cabinet and try to be nice.

🙂

burton
    Free Member

Can’t be a good old 29er five , had mine for over a year now still enjoy riding it and more forgiving that my spesh evo comp 29er .. ..

renton
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of renthal fat bars in 10mm rise coming and that will be the bar/stem sorted.

I just need to decide whether or not I need a dropper with layback or not after that.

Then later in the year maybe look at a pair of lighter but stronger wheels.

renton
    Free Member

New bars and grips fitted ……..

tmb467
    Free Member

Btw – mate of mine has one of these for sale in large (black and gold scheme – blinged up)

Not mine to sell but can put you in touch

Northwind

Looking good… You shouldn’t need a dropper with layback, if it fits anyway. Most of them have a little bit though

rickon
    Free Member

Let me know if you fancy a set of Hope pro2s on Flow Ex, off my Orange five29 after a few rides, so in good nice with tubeless tape etc

renton
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer rickon but I’m skint now.

Jeffus
    Free Member

How much rickon ? 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

I’d be looking for £280 for the pair. Currently qr15 and 142×12, although adapters are pennies to convert to anything.

renton
    Free Member

Rickon did they come as standard or were they upgraded.

What do you think of them.

rickon
    Free Member

I upgraded at the time I bought the Five29, they were thrown in for free, but I ended up fitting carbon rims for enduro racing for extra lightness and stiffness.

If you’re not racing DH or Enduro, or hitting those trails hard, you’re unlikely to notice the flex in Flow Ex’s, they’re stiff but comfy. Far better than the big standard ones that come on the five29

br
    Free Member

Looking good… You shouldn’t need a dropper with layback, if it fits anyway.

Nooooooooooo! Don’t start that kinda talk.

renton
    Free Member

Br …….. You scoured back 3 days just to comment on that post ????

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

No, Rickon scoured back 3 days to give you some advice about wheels 😀

rickon
    Free Member

I’m awesome like that.

Northwind

b r – Member

Nooooooooooo! Don’t start that kinda talk.

I was worried it might have been too subtle 😆

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘First ride out… Orange 29er’ is closed to new replies.