Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • First ride on my 'new' 456 and my legs ache!
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Been riding just my Stumpy FSR Expert for a couple of years at least once every week and recently I decided I need a HT as well so I've built up a 456 and very nice it is too.
    Went for the first ride on it this morning (usual route) and now my legs ache!
    Would this be down to a slightly different riding position or is it because I've become lazy riding a full suss (allowing the reaar shock to do the work) and today my legs had more work to do?

RealMan
    Free Member

because I've become lazy riding a full suss (allowing the reaar shock to do the work) and today my legs had more work to do?

Probably.

I find the best cure for that is not owning a full sus. Very effective treatment. Makes you go faster as well.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I def felt a bit slower this morning, but that was probably down to the Kenda Small Block 8 not working in Delamere today – too much rain last night and handling was sketchy 😡

I'm hoping there's room for a FS and the 456 in my bike rack. I think the FS might be better on long rides but I'm happy to hear theories otherwise.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I think it's the slack head angle and seat post angle that is catching you out.I had pains in my calfs, hamstrings etc. Legs felt shot. Went from an Ali Giant with a 71' head angle to steel 456. Bikes approx the same weight. Giant faster and easier to pedal on climbs and on the flat. The 456 a bit harder work on the flat and road climbs, but here's the rub. Given the choice I'd pick the inbred anyday, its a lot more comfortable on longer rides, a lot more stable on tricky descents, it flatters your abilities. I have not come off yet! It took about 2 months to increase my fitness to a level where I can now no longer tell any difference.

Stick with it, it gets better, honest.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

mtfu

shinsplints

wot racing ralph said.

taxi25
    Free Member

It could be just the extra pounding you get from a H/t.Standing up on bumby descents tire my legs more on my 456 than a full sus.

jonb
    Free Member

I would put it down to the lack of rear suspension. You take much more of a beating on the way down so don't get the rest. I've done lond descents in the lakes where I was glad to start climbing again as it was less effort than the rocky downhills.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I replaced a light alloy hardtail with my 456 and I love it for long days out. Extra comfort is worth the extra weight. Don't have a full suss but guess your legs will need to get used to the lack of suspension doing their job for them. You just need to go faster so that you fly over the rough stuff. 😆

Lanesra
    Free Member

😯 please tell me you're not joking

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

No, no joking. 😀

Bernaard
    Free Member

I find HT riding more of a workout than full suss. I still prefer riding HT to full suss, and even did a full on rigid SS ride over the Chase last night. That was interesting as I expected my calves to ache, but found that my hips do.
    When you swap bikes there is always going to be angle changes etc, so I would say thats the issue.

firestarter
    Free Member

id love to know the reasoning behind the owning only a ht makes you go faster. Can anyone enlighten me please ?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I'm guessing he means it improves you skills and so makes you a better/faster rider whatever the bike.

mingsta
    Free Member

Just do a few more rides on it and you'll soon adapt. You have to stand on the fast bumpy bits which puts more strain on the legs.

I can imagine that those tranferring from a FS will freak out a little when things start bashing around on the fast rocky stuff…the tensing up will probably knacker you too. Once you get used to it, you soon realise that your bike rattling around doesn't necessarily mean that you're about to have a big off and you soon learn to relax and let the bike flow underneath you. I've got a Ti456 and have never felt the need to hold back just because I'm riding a hardtail.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yep….. been out twice since and it's all good 🙂
    Still got a long long way to go on the 456 yet but I'm looking at my FSR and wondering when I'm going to ride it again and whether it's worth keeping (of course it is!).

darrell
    Free Member

are you using different pedals. ?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘First ride on my 'new' 456 and my legs ache!’ is closed to new replies.