Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • First proper bike for tall bloke
  • fenn27
    Free Member

Hello, after some advice on what bike to get

so been properly into mtb’ing for 18 months or so now, so far surviving on a cheap Giant Boulder. However this is close to falling apart (in fact the coil exploded out the fork the other week) and I’ve just about saved enough cash for something that you might actually be able to call a mountain bike.

The problem is, I’m 6ft5 and also have fairly long legs and arms even for my height, so really need the biggest frame I can get. My Giant is 23 inch which works, but another inch would be nice so currently thinking of getting the new Trek 4900 in 24 inch

http://www.ae7.com/trek-4900-2012-hardtail-mountain-bike-white-red-p2396

Then probably getting a much much better fork as soon as I can in the sales and better brakes at some point.

Thoughts? Anyone know of any big frame full suspensions out there? Biggest I can find is 21. I would prefer to go for a uk independant make but again they don’t seem to go much over 21 either. Did look at 29ers for a bit but don’t really want one as first proper bike.

I ride Woburn and Harlestone Firs and grew up near Cannock Chase so occasionally the Dog. The Giant Boulder has survived one run on the Monkey..but I wouldn’t attempt it again with v brakes..

thanks

sambob
    Free Member

Maybe try to find a ride on a 29er? It will be easier to find a big frame and it might feel more suitable to your height.

druidh
    Free Member

fenn27 – Member

Thoughts? Anyone know of any big frame full suspensions out there? Biggest I can find is 21. I would prefer to go for a uk independant make but again they don’t seem to go much over 21 either. Did look at 29ers for a bit but don’t really want one as first proper bike.If I were you, I’d only be looking at 29ers. There will be loads coming onto the market over the next few months. Something like a Cube Acid would be worth looking at.

rootes1

If I were you, I’d only be looking at 29ers. There will be loads coming onto the market over the next few months. Something like a Cube Acid would be worth looking at.

def 29er. i’m 6′ 6″ and ride a 29er, first mountain bike that looks i proportion.

Specialized do a 23″ 29er rockhopper but I found that too big!

TooTall
    Free Member

What is your ‘cycling standover’ height ie crotch to floor?

I’m 6’7″ with a 40″ standover. I gave up riding 26″ bikes a couple of years ago when I sold my last wee bike. I’ve had an OnOne ScandAL for nearly 5 years now (21″ with a long seatpost) and it is great. I treated myself to a 23″ Turner Sultan in 2009 and that fits me brilliantly. I don’t really see anyone shorter than me, unless they were mutant-legged, getting a bigger bike than that. Most blokes our height ride much smaller bikes – but that is partly due to them never riding bigger bikes as they are so rare!

If work/pleasure bring you Bristol-way, you are more than welcome to try both bikes.

bigjim

I’m a quarter inch under 6’5″ and would say I don’t think you need to look at 29ers at all unless you are particularly interested in the ride a 29er offers.

My last 2 bikes have been a 19.5″ Stumpjumper hardtail which was a great fit being a very long and racy frame anyway, not sure if they are still as long as they were when I bought that, and I’m now on a Large Giant Trance which is to be fair a bit short for me, but the XL was too big – I like a smaller frame with a good bit of seatpost. Its about how the bike feels under you, not if it looks right, and being this tall you’ll be used to things not looking right next to you!

It also depends on how you like to sit on the bike, if you want to be stretched out it will be harder to find a good fit. I’d just try a lot of bikes, a good shop should fish out large or xl for you to try. You can add a couple of cm on by fitting a longer stem if the bike comes with a v short one too, without a massively bad effect on handling, I have a 75mm stem I think.

tur80
    Free Member

+1 29er

The fact that it is your first ‘proper’ bike is even more reason to go for a 29er.

Increased stability at speed, more confidence inspiring etc., and the small downside of slower accelleration will probably not be an issue for you.

I am a larger rider and switching to a 29er was the best bike decision I ever made.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I have pal in a similar predicament. Every one said “get a 29er you lanky git” or words to that effect. He then tested 3 different 29ers and they just felt odd to him. He has found that he prefers the feel of 26 inch wheels in a 21 inch frame.
    It’s all down to personal preference so try as many bikes as you can before you buy. Also be open minded and be prepared to try different sizes rather than assuming you need the biggest frame.
    Another buddy was sold a large Trek although he is 5’8″. He just rode it and got used to it. 18 months later he bought a Medium and couldn’t believe how much better it felt. He has just tried a Small and guess what? It fits him “much better”.
    Moral of the story: Try before you buy.

fenn27
    Free Member

Thanks for all those, maybe I’ve got too obsessed with getting the best seat tube length for max pedal power. I’ll probably get myself down to the new Trek shop in Milton Keynes and try out a 29er. The Turner Sultan looks amazing but I’ve got a feeling the wife would prefer a new car!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘First proper bike for tall bloke’ is closed to new replies.