Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • First Post :-) My first DH Build
  • legend
    Free Member

nemesis – Member

Cheap set of second hand pikes or similar would be better for actually riding I reckon…

True, but where’s the fun in that?

Surprised nobody’s suggested that the head tube’s going to get torn off yet….

nemesis
    Free Member

We’re just waiting for the follow up pic 🙂

pitchy
    Free Member

cheers lol

pitchy
    Free Member

again like I said the riding Im gona be doing shouldnt be harsh enough to break it……..hopefully

amedias
    Free Member

I actually quite like the look of that, and I’m not normally one for yellow 🙂

However I fear,as others have said, you’re going to run into a couple of major problems

1. That shock will likely clatter into the frame under full compression, check it BEFORE you ride!
    2. It’s gonna ride ‘a bit funny’ with such a long fork
    3. If you try any real DH on it you’ll soon find yourself with a pile of nicely powder coated scrap aluminium.

Don’t get me wrong I love those old Enduros, and they are great XC trail bikes, and with a fresh shock they are very good, even by today’s standards! 2 of my firends still have them, one is the burlier and lower/shorter travel SX version, one is a standard Enduro.

But a DH bike it aint, and putting a longer shock and big forks on it will not turn it into one.

nemesis
    Free Member

1. I had a DHX on mine as pictured and it didn’t clash. Admittedly my shock was 10mm longer but I don’t reckon that’d change that. I do notice though that the OP’s shock is the opposite way around to mine.

shifter
    Free Member

Garden looks lovely. Welcome 😉

jontykint
    Free Member

one thing i would say, ride that round the XC loops and it will get you a bit fitter.
    dont worry about the rear shock it wont compress into the frame on a xc ride.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Think I found a pic of your hardtail mate…

julians
    Free Member

No-one else has said it,but Sherwood pines on double crown forks and a coil shock? That’ll be fun.

scunny
    Free Member

I was sick in my mouth.

austinburner
    Free Member

Cheer up you frame breaking grumps, it’s christmas!
    Yellow rocks big dogs cocks.

sherpa87
    Free Member

Looks wise I quite like it. The thing I find confusing is this… If you have put forks on with 40mm more travel than there should be and you have no intention of doing the type of riding that will bottom them out/brake the frame/ involve any drops, then why bother?? How much did the build set you back?

t-p26
    Free Member

Can I ask why? The fork is wrong for the frame, the tyres are wrong for real world use…..but its a pretty colour… Have a Happy Christmas all the same 😀

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Before spending any more money on it go on an uplift day, but bin the tyres.
    Should be good for some fun.
    after a while if you enjoy upgrade the frame, should be loads on pinkbike.

pitchy
    Free Member

To all the keyboard warriors that these typical forum places harbour, I have built this without a clue about how it’s going to ride and admitted that it was built around how I liked the look! It’s a known fact as I already know that it’s gona ride like a pig and if I push it I might break it, with the money I’ve spent I could have easily bought myself something pretty good but as I said I’ve enjoyed messing around with putting it together, it will only get used a couple of times dh and will be xc so yeah your right in saying what’s the point, but guess what ….. it’s my choice and I’m more than happy because it’s a lot better than any of the bikes I’ve had before so I don’t really care 🙂
    I’ve ordered a pair of Michelin wild grip’r so the others won’t be the reason for me breaking my arms.
    I will admit however I didn’t think about the shock fouling, it doesn’t fit the other way around so it’s a suck it and see, to be honest I doubt il bottom it out though.
    Anyway merry f@cking Christmas folks!!
    Keep an eye out for my broken bike pictures 😉

pitchy
    Free Member

Out of curiosity what frame would work well with what I have already? I’d spend up to around 400, I still have aFox van r 240 iti with a lot more travel than the rc4

glasgowdan
    Free Member

For 400 you could pick up a giant glory, commencal supreme, specialized demo8, or various other choices that would all work with a 240 (241) shock and those forks and give you a proper dh machine.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Take the spring off’ refit the shock and sit (gently!!!) on the bike to compress the shock, that way you will see in a less ‘breaky’ way of you have enough clearance for the shock.
    Also download the manual for the shock from the fox website and pay attention to setup epspecially the air pressure and settings in the boost valve (that sticky outy bit on the top) as you will break the innards if presure inside it drops too low.
    As above, 888’s are really tall for their travel compared to other dual crown forks, but also they are just excellent forks considering their age and how cheap they are to buy now: those look like 2004/5/6 rc’s which have delightfully long service intervals and easy to set up / hard to set up really badly. So yes flat crowns should be on your wantlist.
    Oh and any simple single ring dh chainguide lke the superstar plasma ones (or the same guide woth someone else’s name on it) will be good too.

And yes brake rotor direction is important -heavy braking the wrong way round will make it want to comress in on itself resulting in picture in first page.
    Oh and hello/welcome/happy christmas! 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘First Post :-) My first DH Build’ is closed to new replies.