Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • First new bike in 3 years!
  • engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

And I’ve just dropped it off at the bikeshop to be built.

Its not going to be light but built to last for me and hopefully virtually indestructible 🙂

Hoping for around 33lbs which most people will scoff at until you compare it to my body weight then its positively feather weight 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/q5GmeT]Nicolai Ion 650B[/url] by ianpindir, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p98aQt]Nicolai Ion 650B[/url] by ianpindir, on Flickr

It’s an Ion 16 650b in XL, with a heavier tube set and different levers so it can run a 222x70mm shock providing 150mm of rear wheel travel. The geometry is custom, angles are similar but it’s got a shortened seat tube by 75mm (I think can’t remember the exact reduction) with a 24.5inch tt.

JCL
    Free Member

Sweet. I like to see people who want specific specs.

JoeG
    Free Member

I hate to break it to you, but the stickers are on assbackwards! 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m not holding out much hope for the shock either

batfink
    Free Member

Looks great – what are you going to build it up with?

What was the rationale of going with different shock size? Or was that necessary because of the custom geometry?

Love the blue ano

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

The build will be:

BOS Deville AM 160mm 650b
    Bos Kirk 222×70
    Chris King BB
    Chris King Headset
    Chris King Hubs on Mavic EX 821 650b Rims
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires
    Shimano XTR Shifters
    Shimano SLX Front Mech
    Shimano XT Rear Mech
    Shimano XT Cassette
    Sram 1051 Chain
    Shimano Saint Brakes
    E13 TRS+ chainguide
    Race Face Sixc Cranks
    Race Face Sixc Bars
    Thompson stem
    Thompson stealth dropper
    SDG Bell Air Ti Saddle

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So what prompted the custom geo?

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Well, I’m 6ft 3 but have quite short legs, so usually xl frames don’t have enough standover, and with a dropper I can’t always get the saddle low enough.

The shock linkage was custom to reduce the leverage ratio enough to allow me to run an air shock!

batfink
    Free Member

holy crap….. looks like you must have been saving-up for 3 years 🙂

br
    Free Member

IMO go XTR for the front mech, all of £15 more and they are seriously lighter plus (based on mine), last for ever – or at least 7 years 🙂

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Ok XTR front mech and rear mech ordered 🙄

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Nice frame! What sort of angles on the seat tube and head tube also what sort of reach for what sort of stem? What leverage ratio?

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

All angles are the same as this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApNhXyVGHlPldDkxZjBWbUJpQWhPYjdpNkpqRjBibVE&single=true&gid=60&output=html

Seat tube is cut down by 70mm

Leverage ratio is 2.14 : 1
    Gone for a 50mm stem.

jfb01
    Free Member

Fantastic frame & spec,love Bos forks.
    If you do not have your Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires yet order them very soon,they are in really short supply.Just got mine from CRC.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

LBS should be ordering them today, along with everything else on the list 🙂

honourablegeorge

Careful on the front mech – Ions come with a special clamp for a front derailleur included in the box, and if I remember right, it needs a SRAM front mech to fit it.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Didn’t know the front mech was sram specific. Fricking hope not I hate sram. I sent the lbs the frame details and the have the mech clamp so they can make it work…..

honourablegeorge

Yeah, you may well be able to bodge it, I dunno for sure, but mine definitely had a specific clamp.

If the 650 version is anything liek the 26, you’ve bought a stormer of a bike.

honourablegeorge

Tech sheet calls for a “High Direct Mount” mech, which I guess mated with the adapter they provide.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApNhXyVGHlPldDVmc3JxeHI4LVFGa0hoblF5anM2eFE&single=true&gid=51&output=html

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Should have bought a vax looking at the carpet. You should be ashamed of yourself.

(loverly frame though – wouldn’t have had the white stays myself but nevertheless)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Well considering his house has an elevator he should be able to afford for someone to do the cleaning 😉

garage-dweller

Lovely. Anyone care to explain the leverage ratio thing for me? I assume this is a rider weight thing and being ‘ not light’ I wondered why.

honourablegeorge

garage-dweller – Member
    Lovely. Anyone care to explain the leverage ratio thing for me? I assume this is a rider weight thing and being ‘ not light’ I wondered why.

The longer the shock stroke, the lower pressure/sprint rate you need for a given weight.

So a 220lb rider on the regular 63mm shock might need 220psi in the shock, but on the longer shock might only need 180. Idea being that shocks work better when not so highly pressured.

Gotama
    Free Member

I do love a Nicolai. One day…..

Out of interest I thought you were down for a pinion one? Ages ago.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Yup got a pinion one too, however not built it up yet as currently in too heavy. Once the weight comes down I’ll build it up.

But currently I’d just destroy the gearbox

Should be built up this time next week hopefully just waiting for the bos stuff to come in

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘First new bike in 3 years!’ is closed to new replies.