Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • First MTB challenge for a novice
  • surfer
    Free Member

Coming from a running background with relatively good endurance and fitness what would be a good first challenge for a novice?
    Bearing in mind my technical and bike handling skills are not great.

I am based in the North West so something not too far away and maybe even after October (OMM last weekend)

boxelder

Why not try a trailquest, as it seems you're not averse to using a map? They use a mix of trails and road, and are run as score event giving you a time limit in which to visit as many checkpoints as possible:
    The TCA events page (scroll down)
    The Xcc league in Cumbria are great events and we have a winter series – mail me for details.

For more of a race – the Meridas or something like the Grizedale or Whinlatter Mountain Bike Challenge.

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

If you like reading maps, how about a Trailquest?

http://www.trailquest.co.uk

There are other series – google will help.

If the peaks is close enough the Dark and White series is good fun. Wide range of abilities from the super quick, looking to win, to those who are just out for an enjoyable ride against the clock.

Cheers

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Bugger – beaten again!!! 😀

taka
    Free Member

bronte big k "sue rider" this weekend oxenhope west yorks

type it in on google 31mile is the one to do 😉

jo_h
    Free Member

Brownbacks @ Lee Quarry – not a hugely long distance but good atmosphere and techy but not crazy.

simonralli2
    Free Member

4th October I think is the Dalbeattie Hard Rock Challenge – 10 mile run then do the 25km red route.

taka
    Free Member

lee quarry on looks a gudun

Junkyard
    Free Member

Three towers at Rivvy about 36 ish miles
    MTL (Mary Townley Loop) 48 miles.

Neither technically hard just LONG.
    Give me a shout I will join you on either ….both are weather dependent.

surfer
    Free Member

A little bump for the morning crowd!

Thanks guys for the suggestions and Junkyard thats a very kind offer.
    Seen a couple of Youtube videos of Lee Quarry and some of it looks borderline in terms of my skill level!!

footstomper
    Free Member

Grizdale challenge 27th september, 30 miles nothing too technical and if there is something your not happy at doing just get off and push lots of other peoplr do that 😉

dickydutch

is grizedale not on the 20th?! Im hoping it is as ive paid me money and im on holiday ont he 27th!
    It says 20th on the website…..

footstomper
    Free Member

is grizedale not on the 20th?! Im hoping it is as ive paid me money and im on holiday ont he 27th!
    It says 20th on the website…..

Yes you are right my mistake 😳 my wife isn't going to be best pleased I promised i was going to take her out this weekend 😕

stumpyjon

How about the Calderdale Mountain Bike Marathon, 26 miles, nothing too technical, wide range of abilities. 11th of October.

http://www.cmbm.org.uk/

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks Stumpyjon, the day after my birthday so arranging an all day pass shouldnt be a problem.
    Footstomper the Grizedale event would have been perfect on the 27th but probably be working on the 20th!!!

Thanks again guys.

boxelder

Grizedale's been full for a while

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘First MTB challenge for a novice’ is closed to new replies.