Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • First jump – EVER!!!
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Us locals call this "The Beast of Heath Hall" 😯

Here I am, lining up, with a tad bit of intrepidation I have to say!

And he's over, still alive and in one piece!!

Heath Hall is the hidden gem stane of Dumfries, with some nice bits of singletrack:

And its also where Trekster managed to get the council to build this local pump track!

That's me coming off one of the jumps! 8)

Lovely! 😀

Padowan
    Free Member

Love the gurn in picture 3!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well yes, true, but I was a bit worried that I had made a hash and was going over the handlebars!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

It does look like you have just rolled that rather than actually jumping it!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Molgrips – well it felt as if it was a jump! I need either Trekster or Forge to come along and provide independent eye-witness evidence. Stay posted and I'll see what I can do. I was going to go to Mabie with Trekster and attempt the step jump at the jump park, but I guess that will have to wait a few weeks now till Trekster's hand recovers.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well good show anyway. Keep pushing envelope, sir.

MrNutt
    Free Member

have you considered getting a slopestyle bike?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Any bike that i ride can be quite easily fitted into any envelope that I push Mr Mutt, so in answer, err, no!

pastcaring
    Free Member

i'd of kept that to myself 😆

therealhoops
    Free Member

no big rig, no body armour, you crazy renegade maverick

bigyinn
    Free Member

You look a bit "special" in those pics!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

i'd of kept that to myself

I'd have kept that to myself.

No need to thank me…all part of the service.

yoshimi

gnarley!

simonralli2
    Free Member

You look a bit "special" in those pics!

Well yes, I would be the first to admit I do have a face for radio really 😳

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Good work- nice to see a bit of progression!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i think the proper stw term is 'rad to the power of sick' 😆

simonralli2
    Free Member

In all seriousness, I was actually trying really hard and this was actually my first proper attempt at jumping.

hooja
    Free Member

did you never build a jump for your grifter when you were a kid?

Kit
    Free Member

*does cheerleader arm pump thing

Go Simon! Go Simon! Who's ya girlfriend!? Go Simon! Go Simon! Woooooooo!

😀

And who'd have thought Heath Hall would be a prime mtb destination?!

donks
    Free Member

Like thats some sweet air man….you need to watch Napolian Dinamite for some tips… 😛

richmtb

Mabie probably isn't the best place to learn to jump, the Mini X isn't the easiest to learn on.

If you want to learn to jump go to Glentress and session the Essentials section of the freeride park. The first table top is great for learning on. It has a smooth line and a kicker and a massive rollout. Plus there are normally lots of folks around you can watch and get ideas for how its done

simonralli2
    Free Member

did you never build a jump for your grifter when you were a kid?

No – I only ever had a Raleigh Olympus which was a drop handlebar racer bike, when I was 8. So I have never actually jumped a bike, hence I am trying to get into the whole two-wheels-off-the-ground thing. I love my biking, but am just not that good so am trying to do learn some things like some of the slopes at the Stanes and drops and things like this.

Rich – Trekster said that there was one jump that had three levels, so I was just going to do that – not the tabletops of anything!

pascoa341
    Free Member

Lol, loved the photos. I recently made a little film of one of my first jumps, which I thought was pretty impressive. Turns out that on video it looks absolutely 100% pathetic. So much for bragging rights…

Shinythings
    Free Member

You rock Simon..

So you'll be back down on the moor soon to pass on your Jedi knowledge, eh? 😆 or is it off to jump Mcmoab?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Plus there are normally lots of folks around

That's normally the best reason I can find for not jumping somewhere!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Cheers Shinythings!- well, some way to go really I know, but yeah, lets see how I get on 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

On a sadder note, they've taken away the planks at Cwmcarn, before I coudl work up to the big one 🙁

jedi

everything starts somewhere. high5

U31
    Free Member

jedi – Member

everything starts somewhere. high5

Innit? Great work, it probly looked 10 times worth from the saddle perspective

MrNutt
    Free Member

tabletops are a great way to learn Si, roll them a couple of times and then just build up your speed as your confidence grows!

forge197
    Free Member

Si they is some real gnarr pictures there, your doing some sick moves.

I should be around for a Mabie ride next week but it will be evening like 4.45ish

Am also around either 28th or 29th for a day time ride on that weekend, it will be the day that looks nicest weather wise.

Bunnyhop

Yay! Good on you.

I know what you mean about thinking you've got big air, but on a photo doesn't look too rad. Hubby just built me a small ramp, which if I'm honest scares me. But practise makes perfect, so I'm aiming now to get air landing back wheel first, or both, not front wheel and a nano second later the back wheel.

Like the facial expression. It shows real relief.

Trekster

And its also where Trekster managed to get the council to build this local pump track!

Just to clarify I was only one of a few who canvassed for the short trail in the forest. It is a legacyfrom the Original Bike Festival held in Dumfries last year. Took a while to get planned and funded but patience is a virtue.
    It is a partnership with Steppingstanes, FE and D&G Council and ticks a box or for one of their projects Go Smart Go Bike The council upgraded a pavement to a cycle path to join up the forest with the Caledonian Cycle path.
    FE did the hard work and created the trail, postponing a re-planting of the area and changing what they had planned to plant apparently.

but I guess that will have to wait a few weeks now till Trekster's hand recovers

I can still walk 😉
    If you have a spare pound or two you could get Clive to do some proper tuition, details @ the Shed or on Ae site.

Take yourself into the trees behind Lochthorn med centre/garage for an old school jump area and try the Burns Path along the riverside via Dalscone.

jedi

back wheel first????? dont be daft

greasystain
    Free Member

You should try this one next:

Bunnyhop

Jedi – see I know nothing about jumping, being a complete novice.

jedi

bunnyhop, land both wheels first or front slightl;y 1st

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yeah – who needs the woods behind the Nationwide at Swindon when you have the trees behind Lochthorn med centre!

Forge – maybe Mabie that weekend? I'll drop you an email nearer the time.

Trekster – well the pace I ride you could always come for a walk with me!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘First jump – EVER!!!’ is closed to new replies.