Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • First issue only £1.99
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Remaining 99 issues £8.99 a pop.
    Some “build a mediocre model of a car with this magazine” advertising on the tellybox.

£892.

Who buys this shit?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What is it?

Drac

Then it ends at issue 47.

hanchurch
    Free Member

Ha ha partworks time of the year!

joat

There was a make your own patchwork quilt one advertised the other day, one would have frozen to death before it was big enough to cover your ass.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Who buys this shit?

My niece works in magazine distribution and I asked that exact question once. Apparently loads of people, they’re one of their best sellers.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Who buys this shit?

Probably simple poor folk who can’t afford it.

chubstr
    Free Member

Some guys on the Replica Prop Forum are building the Millenium Falcon that’s released weekly and are impressed with what they’re seeing (and these guys are hardcore modellers)

They’ve been in contact with the magazine makers who have adjusted the model based on their input

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

just been looking at this

http://shop.deagostini.co.uk/shelby-mustang-faq

Don’t know if it’s what what on TV, but you can have digital & premium subscriptions (all sounds a bit STW if you ask me 😉 ), which bumps it up to £11:48 an issue 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That was the one, Cheesy.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They’ve been going for years so I guess someone is – mate of mine was building a ship model years and years ago, I seem to recall only the first couple are sold in shops, the rest are by subscription.

The mags are fairly week, it’s a page or two of instructions for fitting this weeks part and a bit of blurb about whatever you’re building – nothing you couldn’t find on Wikipedia, really it’s just buying a kit on lay away.

They were doing a Nitro RC car a couple of years ago, I swear it came to £900 or something and took 30 months to complete – yay an over priced RC car that takes two and a half years to build!

I wonder if you called them up they’d send you all the editions in one go?

chubstr
    Free Member
    northernmatt

I have one of the Nitro RC cars in the spare room. OH’s stepfather did it via the magazines then started it up once and left it for around 6-8years (BTCC Astra Coupe). He asked me to get it running while he had an extended stay in hospital. The fuel had evaporated leaving all the gunk so needed a new fuel line, filter and almost a new engine.

The Shelby thing is 1:28 scale which just sounds odd to me, most die cast clip together Bburago crap I had when I was a kid was 1:18 or 1:32

garage-dweller

Glad I’m not the only one ranting at the telly about this!!!!!

shermer75
    Free Member

This guy’s covering his ass’s ass with his ass

chiefgrooveguru

Apparently this is the most profitable sector of the entire publishing industry – quelle surprise!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Perhaps there should be a Singletrack partworks bike mag

Week 1 only £1:99 and comes with a bag of loose ball bearings
    Week 2 only £2:99 and comes with a bag of loose spoke nipples

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It does raise an interesting thought really supply and demand, though.

Let’s assume that 2000 people buy issue 1. They make enough of the kit to meet that demand. By issue 2, it may only be 1500 people, so do they only have kit-25%, and then kit-35% for issues 3-4 etc?

bearnecessities

..and by issue 15, it’s just Ken in Newton Abbot that’s keeping the whole operation afloat.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well I got sucked into it when i was 13 or 14. My parents pointed out the economics but said it was my pocket money (a lot cheaper back then) It took a few weeks but I got it in the end. I was also a member of one of those book clubs for a bit too. 😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

the bike would be obsolete before it was even built 😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What a fool you are junky – you sell it as ‘Build a Retro Bike’, sorted!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘First issue only £1.99’ is closed to new replies.