Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • First imperial century ride
  • Sandwich

Thought it should be special so Fred Whitton 4 seasons was completed yesterday. 13 hours with lots of refreshment/eating stops about 9 hours moving. The last small hill before Coniston felt worse than Honister.
    My mate was talking of attempting “The Struggle” this morning but the aches from yesterday have scotched that idea. I predict a long slow trip back to Ipswich today. And food, lots of food!

midlifecrashes

Well done. Great effort.

AlexSimon

That’s not just any old flat century is it!?
    Well done – you picked a great day for it!

scaredypants

I predict a long slow trip back to Ipswich today

Yeh, that’s a long ride alright – still, at least the second half will be flat 🙂

sandwicheater

Good work sir. Planning the same myself in the next few weeks with a buddy.

MoreCashThanDash

Done two flattish centuries this year, think I’d struggle with that route. Congratulations.

sandwicheater

What’s the difference between the normal FW and the FW 4 season?

njee20
    Free Member

What’s the difference between the normal FW and the FW 4 season?

From here:

The Four Seasons Ride follows the original Fred Whitton route, with the Start and Finish in Coniston.

sandwicheater

That’s cool and £5 to charity if you use the timing card, win. Cheers

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Well done. My first century was the FW, a roadie mate described the climbing as “completely undignified” which made me chuckle. Tough old route.

brassneck

What’s the numbers, just to make me shudder?

Chapeau. On the plus side virtually any other Century in the UK would be easier I’d have thought, so it’s easy street now 🙂

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Nice one Sandwich! I bet that was a tough old day out.

I did my first century in May, Tour of the Peak. 113 miles with lots and lots of climbing.

Don’t do anything too strenuous for a week or more to recover properly.

Last Friday I did a much flatter 103 miles as an iron distance triathlon training ride. That was much easier, which is good coz I have to run a marathon afterwards!

So not having done a century before, I’ll now be doing one a month through the summer 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Last Friday I did a much flatter 103 miles as an iron distance triathlon training ride. That was much easier, which is good coz I have to run a marathon afterwards!

You’ll be running more than a marathon if you get off your bike after 103 miles 😉

woody2000

I did my first (and only!) imperial 100 last year – rode back from Scarborough to home, took a few detours on the way back and ended up with 100.1 miles showing on my GPS. Uploaded it to strava, which shortened it to 99.8 🙁

I’m still claiming it!

Sandwich

As predicted there has been food and loads of it. Plus a trip into anorak town (Ambleside, as described by the B&B owner) for decent coffee and food. The Garmin recorded 3700m of ascent which is lower than officially claimed. This is part of my warm up for the Dynamo next month.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Hell of an achievement to do the Fred coarse as your first ton. Did the official Fred this year so I know how hard it is ! Chapeau !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘First imperial century ride’ is closed to new replies.