Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • First Hardtail – £1000 Budget – Carbon or Aluminium
  • RichT

Cannondale 29er on paulscycles look good

c1rcusweasel
    Free Member

Vitus Sentier – 2nd Hand off Gumtree – It says £650 but I can get it for £550
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/vitus-sentier-mountain-bike-/1235836364

Are the Sentier’s any good?

prawny

That’s what I’m riding in that video I posted. Best Hardtail I’ve ridden (I’ve not ridden any really good ones though TBF) and a great all purpose bike.

Edit – Its the exact same model as mine, that’s a bargain if you can get it for £550. Get yourself a dropper too with the change and you’ll need nothing upgrading for ages.

c1rcusweasel
    Free Member

I’ve been messaged about the Canyon and they’re willing to take a lower offer – apparently he has 9 bikes with a Venge S works on the way…… his Mrs has “requested” that he follows the 1 in 1 out rule

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canyon-Nerve-XC-F8-Medium-/292103813258?

stevextc
    Free Member

Those Canyon Nerves were decent bikes, that’s a steal if everything works.

That’s a good price IMHO…. it’s all decent kit….
    I still think you should look at buying something as middle of the road as possible and then changing in 6-12 months when you have found what you actually ride…

I’d also even consider renting for a couple of months… if you have a local trail centre…. My local (Swinley) it’s £20 for 1/2 day on the decent base hardtail… £30 for Full susp (Whyte T-130 or similar)

So if you did that every weekend for 6 months on a hard tail it would be £520 (so scale down from there) but you can also try some FS bikes etc. in that time…and try different geometries etc. but also different makes..and 27.5 one week vs 29 another.

I personally can’t get on with some makes… indifferent to others and some just seem to have been designed for me…. (really depends what they think is an average body in terms of arms/legs etc.) but also if they design the bikes differently or they are all designed on a “medium” …

c1rcusweasel
    Free Member

Decision Made!: I went to have a look at the Vitus Sentier
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/vitus-sentier-mountain-bike-/1235836364

When I got there the bloke said he bought it – put the handle bars and pedals on and that has been it. I couldn’t see any signs of use and everything looks good.

These were £1000 from CRC (currently out of stock at £900) – He had it advertised at £650 and we shook hands at £500

This should allow me an opportunity to have a play and find out what riding I want to do in the future and then look to either upgrade or buy a full suspension

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread – It is appreciated and has helped me make a decision

Kryton57

well done! You’ve got a lot of bike for your money their.

stevextc
    Free Member

Bargain …. get yourself some decent pedals though (with what you saved) and you can use on the next bike…. bars look a little narrow but that might be the photo’s…. but you can get wider cheap if you want to try.

Try a few different places to ride…. and you’ll work out what you are enjoying riding most…. then if you sell you can’t lose much (or anything) on what you paid.

funkmasterp

Nice one OP. A cracking bike for the money. Here’s hoping you enjoy mountain biking. Keep posting and asking questions on here as you go. It’s a great forum, full of helpful and knowledgeable people.

Where’s your first ride going to be?

prawny

Welcome to the club 😀

Get yourself a dropper and some decent pedals and you’ll be set, thought he’d not ridden it looking at the brake lever/bar angle on the gumtree add. I thought mine was a bargain at £820, £500 is practically theft 😆

It won a £1000 hardtail group test in WMB apparently too.

sirromj

FWIW, my feelings toward my Canyon Nerve XC have always been a bit mixed. It was my first full suss so my expectations were probably too high.

You’ve probably done yourself a favour getting that hardtail and avoided lots of time/money on full suss maintenance.

superstu
    Free Member

Great buy, you’ll enjoy it!

mulv1976
    Free Member

You’ve got a cracking deal there – I would have bought that if you hadn’t. I’m waiting for crc to get some stock in. Hope you enjoy it!

c1rcusweasel
    Free Member

Picked the bike up and it is immaculate – the bloke selling says it’s never been used and having a proper look I agree. The £500 was an absolute bargain…. last year a got Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc for £350 and that had only be used a couple of times indoor on a turbo trainer.

First couple of rides will be local in Leicestershire (Beacon Hill – Outwoods – Swithland) and then i’ll probably have some time up Sherwood pines and try not to embarrass myself

I need to get some bit’s n pieces so i’ve got some basic kit (Inner Tube, Saddle Bag, Lights, Shock / Mini Pump) and then i’ll get some pedals etc

Thanks again to everyone that has contributed to the thread

funkmasterp

Are you going for SPD or flat pedals? If flat, I’d recommend Nukeproof Electrons. Cheap and very well made for the money. Don’t forget to report back after your first proper ride.

RustySpanner

I need to get some bit’s n pieces so i’ve got some basic kit (Inner Tube, Saddle Bag, Lights, Shock / Mini Pump) and then i’ll get some pedals etc

These saddle packs are excellent, well made, cheap and
    repairable – Carradice.
    They do a few different sizes.
    The only ones I’ve used that haven’t broken or fallen apart after a couple of years.

Great bike btw, I hope you really enjoy it.

c1rcusweasel
    Free Member

Hi All – Funkmasterp recommended some Nukeproof Pedals and they look really good for the price

However……my road bike has some Candy 3 pedals on (I know weird….. they were on when I bought the bike)

I’m think of going for the Crank Brothers Double Shot Pedals as they’re twin side – so in theory I could use the same shoes and cleats on both bikes

Now this would be a bit weird using road shoes on an MTB but it would give me some time to learn how to ride the hardtail with clipless and if I couldn’t get to grips with the technical stuff I could still use the pedals with “normal” shoes

If I got used to riding clipless then i’d invest in some proper off road shoes

I think this is a reasonable plan…… but appreciate some feedback

Thanks

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘First Hardtail – £1000 Budget – Carbon or Aluminium’ is closed to new replies.