Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • First game of fives in years last night
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Good laugh, but by God am I in pain! It is amazing that cycling seems to use a completely different set of muscles from running and twisting, top of my thighs especially, running really does punish you! Feel like an 80 year old, zimmer probably wouldn’t go a miss right now ! 😀 Anyway that’s the cob-webs blown off and should feel a bit better tomorrow, roll on next week! My screaming 30 yard toe poke was a thing of beauty!

So anyone else returned to fives after a long lay off(years)? How long till the pain stops the next day, i’m reckoning 2 or 3 weeks?

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what fives is

Five-a-side maybe?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Fives is like squash, but for people who can’t afford rackets…although confusingly, often played in public schools 😀

In this case I’m guessing we’re talking about five-a-side footy though, unless the OP is really bending the Fives rules by sticking the boot in.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye Fives as in football(Or the attempt at!). Have you seriously never heard of Five-a-sides referred to as Fives?

ps FYI, 7-a-sides is also known as Sevens! Quite a logical leap shirley? 😀

uplink
    Free Member

Have you seriously never heard of Five-a-sides referred to as Fives?

can’t say I have

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Me neither.

clubber
    Free Member

+1

I reckon he’s an eton sort. The lynchmob will be along in a second.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

FIVES
    we actually had fives courts when i was at school, never heard of 5 a side reffered to as fives though

seosamh77
    Free Member

Fair enough, must be a Glasgow thing..

seosamh77
    Free Member

I reckon he’s an eton sort.

Aye, I’m sure I’d fit in well with that lot! 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

FIVES
    we actually had fives courts when i was at school, never heard of 5 a side reffered to as fives though

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of that!

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Fives courts was where kids went for a smoke at lunch time
    Never saw the courts used for fives.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Fair enough, must be a Glasgow thing..

Like ‘guttering’?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Like ‘guttering’?

The things used to catch rain?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The things used to catch rain?

A few months ago, I ran a few hundred yards up the street from work to the shop where we get our milk. I was a little red-faced and puffed-out when I got there and my friend behind the counter asked what I’d been up to. When I told that I’d been guttering, he burst out laughing. Apparently, where he grew up in Glasgow, the term is used to describe having sex against a wall. I was, of course, just fitting new gutters.

Hareydan
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of it called fives before, and I’m off to play it in half an hour! I find stretching properly beforehand really helps with the aches next day. I don’t bother before cycling and don’t seem to suffer the next day so I think it must be something to do with the different muscles used.

Brycey
    Free Member

I’m from (nearish) Glasgow, call them “fives” or “fivies” but have never heard of “guttering”. Really miss playing, great fun and exercise.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m from (nearish) Glasgow, call them “fives” or “fivies” but have never heard of “guttering”. Really miss playing, great fun and exercise

I think guttering, possibly comes from the older generation, canny say i’ve heard of it myself, but there are alot of old glaswegian words no longer used.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of it called fives before, and I’m off to play it in half an hour! I find stretching properly beforehand really helps with the aches next day. I don’t bother before cycling and don’t seem to suffer the next day so I think it must be something to do with the different muscles used

aye, well i did just jump right into it and we played for and hour and a half, but still i reckon i’d be kidding myself on if i thought it was just because of not stretching, soreness is finally starting to subside now… I reckon my initial estimate of 2-3 games sounds about right… stretching is fair point though!

racefaceec90

was thinking this [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik[/video] and yes this would hurt trying to play it 😉

Dolcered

think “fives” must be a scottish thing, i cant stand the sport and i call it that!

lynchmob
    Free Member

‘I reckon he’s an eton sort. The lynchmob will be along in a second’
    we call five a side ‘fives’.

RustySpanner

I can’t play anymore, my hips and knees won’t take it.
    Played once or twice a week from being a kid to mid thirties, but it was taking about 20 minutes to get out of bed the day after a game.

I really miss it 🙁

maxray
    Free Member

You will find you will ache like crazy for 2 maybe 3 weeks and then your body will get used to it.

MussEd
    Free Member

I call 5 a side “5s”. Nike market their specific football trainers type things and an entire clothing range as “5s” so I cant imagine its just a Glasgow/Scottish thing…more like a typical STW puerile pedantry/ we hate football in all its forms type thing…

MussEd
    Free Member

Rusty – the new 4G playing surfaces makes a huge difference to knee/hip impacts nowadays, ease yourself back in, use the brain, don’t try and run like your 20 year old self. You’ll be fine…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rugby or Eton?

maxray
    Free Member

the new 4G playing surfaces makes a huge difference to knee/hip impacts nowadays

The place we play is the old school sandy type pitch.. no remorse shown to my ageing joints.

The power league type surfaces are indeed far more forgiving.

RustySpanner

MussEd – Member

Rusty – the new 4G playing surfaces makes a huge difference to knee/hip impacts nowadays, ease yourself back in, use the brain, don’t try and run like your 20 year old self.

Really?

I might have to give the lads a call and see what we can do.
    Thanks for that!

It won’t be pretty though….

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘First game of fives in years last night’ is closed to new replies.