Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • First FS ponderings…
  • Olly
    Free Member

But that means when I do crash I’ll do more damage

I found that when i got my first FS (original 4″ trance)
    First ride out:
    “oh yes, im going SO much faster down this rocky… ARGH S**T!!”

As for what you get, is an impossible choice, with no right or wrong answer.

Best starting point would be the manfacturer you are on at the moment, as the geometry and attitude should be comparable.
    I would also suggest comparing a Single pivot (Segment) and a multi link (AnthemSX).

The anthem WILL ride better, but can you be bothered to look after 10 bearings?
    Im still working out my new orange five. Ths suspension doesnt ride as well as the reign it replaced, but it isn’t proving a problem yet! (last time i changed the bearings on the reign, i promised myself the next bike would be SP)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The anthem WILL ride better, but can you be bothered to look after 10 bearings?
    Im still working out my new orange five. Ths suspension doesnt ride as well as the reign it replaced, but it isn’t proving a problem yet! (last time i changed the bearings on the reign, i promised myself the next bike would be SP)

Having gone from single pivots to VPP 2 years ago I can’t tell you how many bearings it has, not needed to think about changing them despite a lot of use, when I do I’ll drop it at the LBS who will use the right tools as a SC dealer and the bearings are free for life.

ks562
    Free Member

Another vote for the Camber Evo. Other half has had his since Feb and finds it spot on for the riding you describe. He’s come from riding a Cotic soul and like you he didn’t want to lose the feel of the trail he’d enjoyed from the hardtail. He’s ridden Devils Staircase, Ciaren Path etc on both and the camber definitely takes the edge off the hits!

thegreatape
    Free Member

This sounds promising.

How do the Camber and Stumpjumper differ, is it simply a spec/price thing or is there more to it? (Not being lazy, on my phone with poor internet).

bomberman
    Free Member

Don’t confuse the camber with the camber evo, the evo versions are slacker and more fun. Can’t tell you much about the stumpy as I haven’t looked into it but I guess it’s more travel

bowglie

thegreatape, apologies for delay replying (am away on riding holiday at the mo, so limited internet:))

According to the angle finder app on my phone, the headtube angle on the Atlas is about 68.7 degrees with the 140mm fork. The fork I’m running has a 51mm offset, which supposedly quickens the steering. Handling and ride wise, I guess it depends where and what you’re riding. For typical trail centre reds, I find the Atlas very good, as it feels like the best bits of a 26er and 29er combined in one bike. However, if you regularly ride loose rocky rubble filled natural trails, I’d look for something with a longer wheelbase and maybe a touch slacker – like the Tallboy LT! It’s not that the Atlas is terrible on that terrain, it’s just that it doesn’t feel as invincible as some other bikes.

Personally, I think the Superlight has the edge over the Atlas in natural terrain, as it does that single pivot thing of sitting back in its travel and slackening out a bit. The Atlas has very neutral suspension, and although I regularly ride mine down very steep tech trails, it needs more attention than the Superlight.

The suggestion of a Camber Evo is an interesting one – and if you can get them with a Pike, I think it could be a very good option. My OH got a carbon non-evo camber 29 as an insurance replacement, but she didn’t get on with the suspension on it (Fox Evo CTD rubbish). I rode the Camber quite a bit and liked it, but the Evo model seems to address the quirks on the non-Evo model. Only thing to be aware of with Specialized is that they fit cheap bearings in the suspension, and compared to decent single pivots or SC vpp2, they can be a real pain to service/replace bearings. (I’m sure some Spesh fans will correct me there though;))

bowglie

Oh, just thought of another bike that might be of interest – Salsa Horsethief; same suspension system and short chainstays as Atlas, but with slacker head angle and longer wheelbase.

scandal42
    Free Member

Whyte t-129 scr, slack, long and low.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘First FS ponderings…’ is closed to new replies.