Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • First FS build up- what length rear mech? Help meeeeee….
  • kayla1
    Free Member

I’m busy putting a Commencal Supreme 6 together and have no idea what rear mech to use. I’ve got a short and long cage X9 to choose from. I was thinking that perhaps the long cage would be best, seeing as how I’m using an 11-34 cassette and the chain will have to be long enough to allow for the travel but the mech will also have to be able to take up the slack of the range of gears throughout the travel.

Also, do I need to remove the shock to drop the bike low enough to fit the chain? I think the answer is ‘yes’ to this one.

Noob questions…

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

How many chaninrings are you running? You’ll probably get away with a short cage if it’s 1x with an 11-34 but it’s always better to have too long a mech cage than too short.

Also, do I need to remove the shock to drop the bike low enough to fit the chain? I think the answer is ‘yes’ to this one.

To fit it? No, just join the chain with it sitting around the BB shell if you find it hard to hold against the mech tension then lift it onto the ring once it’s joined. If you mean to check the length, then still no, just let all the air out of the shock.

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s 1×9 with 11-34 on the back and it’s a coil shock 😕

I’ll use the short on my HT and put the long on the FS- thanks for your reply!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

a coil shock

Then yes, your easiest way to check the chain is long enough is to take at least one end of the shock out.

honourablegeorge

robinlaidlaw – Member

Then yes, your easiest way to check the chain is long enough is to take at least one end of the shock out.

I’d take th espring off and refit the shock, some linkage bikes go all weird when there’s no axle – although the commencal is fairly normal

kayla1
    Free Member

Brill, ta.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im confused, why would you need to touch any of the suspension to fit the chain?
    Surely you just split and join the chain once its routed correctly?

scandal42
    Free Member

On a FS you need to measure the chain under compression otherwise the chain will be too tight due chain growth when activating the travel, some suspension designs minimise this however.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Or just leave a reasonable amount of slack in the chain. It’s not rocket science!

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ll be using the bike for racing having a go at DH, I don’t want any slack in the chain at all except for when I need it, ie at the extreme of rear travel, and this being the first time I’ve built a FS up I thought I’d ask for advice. Why the cocking f- I need to explain that is beyond me though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Keep your hair on princess. I asked a simple question about why you were doing what you were doing. No need to get so pissy.

M6TTF
    Free Member

biggest ring, to biggest ring, plus 2 links – i wouldn’t worry about chain growth, never caused me problems

sofaboy73
    Free Member

biggest ring, to biggest ring, plus 2 links – i wouldn’t worry about chain growth, never caused me problems

this it’s what i’ve always done on all my mike covered a broad range of suspension designs and never had an issue

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘First FS build up- what length rear mech? Help meeeeee….’ is closed to new replies.