Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • First flurry of snow
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..and here we go

hora
    Free Member

Where? Edinburgh near the water front? Could be a thin layer of ice on that bend under the top layer though.

Lifer
    Free Member

Where’s that?

bearnecessities

Did it fall out the sky?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Dundee?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Dundee – Constitution Rd, opposite the old college.
    It’s a steep hill with a crossroads but to have gone through the railings, car must have been traveling at a fair old whack.
    It’s hard to say as I can’t see tyre tracks, but the angle looks like it came from the level road intersecting the hill, was trying to turn right to head down the hill and just didn’t make the turn, which implies stupidly fast for the circumstances.

hora
    Free Member

It’s hard to say as I can’t see tyre tracks, but the angle looks like it came from the level road intersecting the hill, was trying to turn right to head down the hill and just didn’t make the turn, which implies stupidly fast for the circumstances.

Although not snow- this reminds me of the woman driving down the dual carriageway towards Dover. At the end …is a big roundabout and a multistorey carpark. She didn’t slow down and ended up on the first floor of the carpark…..

tlr
    trail_rat
    Free Member

oh yes , first day of snow – you get teh 20mph over cautious , causing the wreckless to overtake at high speeds

leading to chaos all round aberdeen.

scotroutes

A car has skidded off the road and into the side of a house after a six-car crash in Dundee.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-30795226

trail_rat
    Free Member

i wonder if its more likely – “hit 6 parked cars before coming to rest in the house”

which knowing the road is much more likely – but 6 car crash does sound more sensational.

footflaps

Could be worse, could have ended up in the river on a canal boat:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7pq6KW]Car sized hole in railings at bottom of River Lane[/url] by brf, on Flickr

Sadly I missed the actual accident…

hora
    Free Member

oh yes , first day of snow – you get teh 20mph over cautious , causing the wreckless to overtake at high speeds

A few weeks ago early Sat am there was sub-zero frozen rain from overnight. I was overtaken by an angry bloke with frozen/obscured windows then on the sweeping slip road on the motorway I was again undertaken by a woman at over the recommended speed. I thought she was going to take both of us out.

People really do believe airbags.EPS/ABS automatically makes the car able to handle anything.

Northwind

As a colleague of mine said one time after crashing into about 5 cars on the hill opposite my old office “I just started skidding! There was nothing I could do, no matter how hard I pushed the brakes it didn’t slow down”.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Snow due down south shortly, during evening rush hour, so Darwin may yet have his say before the rain washes it all away tomorrow

trail_rat
    Free Member

“There was nothing I could do, no matter how hard I pushed the brakes it didn’t slow down”.”

skidpan training for the driving test…….

i swear i learnt more on icy empty carparks just after passing my test than i did during my test 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

I was overtaken by an angry bloke with frozen/obscured windows

The number of cars I see on my cycle to work on a frosty morning which have absolutely zero peripheral vision is astounding. Not clearing the side windows is bad enough, but to only clear the bit of the windscreen which is directly in front of their face is unbelievable.

NZCol

^ Crash at the bottom of my road on Sat when it snowed heavily. I had just pulled out of the drive and watched one car with a porthole window drive into another with a porthole window. Incredible. And they were both right apparently.

GrahamS

The number of cars I see on my cycle to work on a frosty morning which have absolutely zero peripheral vision is astounding.

Saw this on the YouToobs the other day:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hmT471DLrw[/video]

Despite almost hitting the cyclist the driver maintains that “I can see clearly… I just didn’t see you”

Worst thing is that he is in a modern Ford so he has a heated front windscreen. He literally just needs to press a button and wait 30 seconds for it to clear.

scotroutes

Anybody else want to punch the cyclist in that video?

STATO
    Free Member

scotroutes, may be annoying but people die or are injured due to muppets driving with obscured vision, no lights or other stupid things. Yet no-one confronts them about it, not even other people in the car, family or work coleagues. No one cares until they find out their wife/husband/mother/father etc in hospital as a result.

mt
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    “Anybody else want to punch the cyclist in that video?”

Violence is not the answer, you need to see someone.

binners

Snowmageddon* forecast to start in the hills here this afternoon. Which leads to much hilarity for the rest of us, as the fleet of spanking new Beemers that the company bought for all the Gareth Cheesemans, will no doubt be adorning a selection of ditches around East Lancs by tomorrow morning. Or more than likely be just sat on driveways instead. Grounded. We’ve had the first write off already, on black ice, last week. 😕

Think I’ll ride in! I love riding in snow! 😀

* Anything more than a light dusting

hora
    Free Member

I find its pointless shouting/saying anything loudly or any semi-aggressive moves. Better to totally avoid commuting in dark/cold/wet/dank weather thus removing yourself from serious injury in the first place.

GrahamS

Better to totally avoid commuting in dark/cold/wet/dank weather..

So only commute in late August? Or just move to somewhere nicer?

rusty90
    Free Member

the fleet of spanking new Beemers that the company bought for all the Gareth Cheesemans, will no doubt be adorning a selection of ditches around East Lancs by tomorrow morning

No, BMW drivers are far too sensible for that, they’ll fit snow chains 🙄

highlandman
    Free Member

Watched a hairdresser* in Dundee successfully take out 5 panels of a building site chain link fence this morning, on the way to parking her car within the Lochee bingo hall cleared site. The main road was almost stationary with folk tip-toeing along, so she’s trying to jump a ahead a bit. She’d previously been sliding around, over revving trying to get up a snowy but very gentle slope on the main road, ducks into a side street and comes back out 100m further on. Only the further on was slightly downhill; I guess better the building site than hitting cars or folk at the bus stop nearby. For added entertainment, the boot lid sprang open as the car bounced over the concrete blocks that support the portable fence panels.
    Plenty more snow forecast for later…

*This bright yellow Fiat 500 had mobile hairdresser signwriting all over it, so a fairly reasonable assumption.

highlandman
    Free Member

Oh aye- fat bike commute tomorrow, I think!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Better to totally avoid commuting in dark/cold/wet/dank weather thus removing yourself from serious injury in the first place.”

so you work at home all winter ?

infact you best stay in bed – might burn your self on the radiator in winter……

fasthaggis

I find its pointless shouting/saying anything loudly or any semi-aggressive moves. Better to totally avoid commuting in dark/cold/wet/dank weather thus removing yourself from serious injury in the first place.

Muppet 🙄

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Despite almost hitting the cyclist the driver maintains that “I can see clearly… I just didn’t see you”

I did once have someone pull out in front of me and it wasn’t that he didn’t see me, it’s that I wasn’t there when he pulled out.
    My fault, obviously – faulty cloaking device

hora
    Free Member

fasthaggis who took the jam out of your donut? The workplace bully?

binners

He IS the workplace bully. And he’s on his way to give you a wedgie!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Loving the BMW 1 series plate….SLOB says it all 😆

Bunnyhop

We all laugh at British drivers trying to drive in snowy/icy conditions. It’s the fault of driving instructors, who seem to teach learner drivers how to pass their test and not actually drive.

My auntie has lived in Switzerland for many years, where you need to have winter tyres on your car for the winter months. She says the drivers there are just as likely to have crashes and drive as badly as we do in snow. So it’s not exclusive to us.

Just looked out of the window and the road is already iced up -eeek.

Drillski
    Free Member

Those snow chains, on the front wheels, of the rear wheel drive BMW ? ? ? ?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘First flurry of snow’ is closed to new replies.