Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • First flat screen tv
  • jools182
    Free Member

My current tube tv has started acting up with a flickering screen

A bash on the side sorts it out but its getting more frequent

Can anyone recommend me a tv to replace it?

I don’t want a huge chavvy one, not sure what sizes they come in now maybe something between 28 and 32 inch

Budget is, well as cheap as possible, not really got much spare cash

chewkw
    Free Member

ALBA 32″ Digital HD Ready LCD TV.
    Model: LCD 32880HDF

Think it’s £290 at Argos …

For me it’s good enough but the tuner could be better.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I don’t want a huge chavvy one

Yeah, those poor idiots. Buying things they like to enrich their lives. The cretins.

GW
    Free Member

Budget is, well as cheap as possible, not really got much spare cash

well just get the cheapest 32″ HD tv you can find then. it’ll still be way better than what you’ve got now. Tesco/Comet/Argos etc. always seem to have one under £200. you can prob find one online and get it delivered so you don’t have to spend a few minutes anywhere near any chavs 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Go for the best Samsung in your budget.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I picked up a Sony LCD in the New Year sales last year for the same reason – the old tube telly was whining and jittery. I nearly got the 32″, but the 37″ was not much more money. I’m glad I did because 37″ feels nice watching films and just about fits in the space available.

Apparently LCD is less good at fast movement, but I can’t say I’ve noticed any specific problems. It does have a nice bright look to it, supports my PC at 1280 via a VGA cable, fairly easy menus, blah blah. I suspect it’s actually a Sony playstation inside!

ieeosg
    Free Member

I bought a Samsung LCD last Xmas, it didn’t like a non HD input, I changed to a HD Virgin box and the picture was ten times better. Also get one thats 100Hz if you can although this bumps up the price. As for size, well you know what they say 😀

craigxxl
    Free Member

+Samsung

mefty
    Free Member

I bought a 32″ inch panasonic viera with Freeview HD for just under £300 from currys, more than enough for our telly watching habits. Will be first experience of hd in our home

+Samsung

atlaz
    Free Member

We’ve got a 28″ LCD (JVC something or other). More than big enough for our lounge.

jimc101
    Free Member

What ever you buy, you will end up wanting a bigger one, Samsung or Panasonic would be first choices.

jools182
    Free Member

Thanks

I’ll have a look at a samsung 32″

Anyone got an LG? They seem to get good reviews

paulosoxo
    Free Member

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/20019620/-/Product.html

Or a 40″ one for £339 once you apply the £100 cashback

montylikesbeer

SAMSUNG AT RICHERS SOUNDS

top bargain above

mefty
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want more than 32″, but they do take up a lot less room than a CRT so can be put right into a corner.

br
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want more than 32″,

A better way to look at it, is you want to be no nearer than 2.5 * the size of the screen – for us and the shape of the room, thats’ a 37″.

£350 for a 1080p Toshiba last week.

Northwind

Got a 32 inch Toshiba Regza, was surprisingly cheap off that internet. And it’s very, very nice and cost me £300 IIRC. But their range seems intentionally baffling, lots of numbers and secret handshakes.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I would get a panasonic from john lewis with a 5 year warranty – so at least you know it will last that long.

panasonic have a good rep for reliability – not sony stuff in my experience.

I would def. not go for alba, or lg really.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I recently bought a Pansonic 32″ (TX – L32E30B), it’s brilliant, it’s got Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, iPlayer and Skype and the picture’s not too bad either.

john_drummer
    Free Member

37in LG. Can’t fault it, had it about 5 years

mefty
    Free Member

br – It is not because it is a small room I sit about 10ft from it, I just prefer a tv sitting in the corner not dominating the room.

CountZero

Even a 37″ will be surprisingly small in a corner. Don’t forget the measurement is diagonal, so the screen’s much less tall than a CRT. The folks have a 32″ in their room, sat about seven feet away, and that’s the minimum I would go, my own TV’s a 40″ Bravia set in the corner of a rectangular room about nine feet away, and that is a really comfortable size for watching, especially HD stuff. I use it as a monitor for my MacMini as well, and its perfect for that at that distance.

GW
    Free Member

CRTs have always been measured diagonally too.

32″ CRT has the exact same screen size as 32″ LCD, the LCD just looks smaller as it’s not in a huge box.

My TV is a 40″ Samsung sat around 9-10ft away – it’s adequate, but I could easily go for a 46″ without it being too much. Personally I don’t get this ‘tv dominating the room’ stuff. It’s off at the moment and all I can see is a shiny black screen with an attractive Black Rose bevel, fitting in with the rest of the lounge and my hi-fi equipment etc – when it’s on, it’s the focal point and I’m not looking at other things, so I want it to dominate my field of vision. When watching a good HD source I want to be able to see all the detail I’ve paid good money to view.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Personally I don’t get this ‘tv dominating the room’ stuff.

I think it’s just different strokes for different folks. I don’t watch that much TV or films so a 28″ monitor is fine for me. My lounge is focussed around my hi-fi, and the only place a massive TV could realistically go is already occupied by a wonderful picture that I have.

Cougar
    binners

Get a whopping great big 52″ thing, plug a ear-splittingly loud surround sound system into it, then buy stacks of action movies on DVD. then invite all your mates back after the pub to watch Black Hawk Down!

Both your beloved and your neighbours will applaud your purchase 🙂

FeeFoo
    Free Member

, then buy stacks of action movies on DVD.

DVD? DVD? Why not watch on VHS too?
    It’s Blu-Ray nowadays, Grandad!

😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘First flat screen tv’ is closed to new replies.