Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • First ever road bike(recommendations)
  • deserter
    Free Member

As in had never swung a leg on one before a quick ride on a trek emonda s6 yesterday

So any tips so I buy right buy once

Motivation is I want to try to get fitter

Thanks in advance

lunge

Giant Defy is the obvious, if not overly exciting recommendation, Trek Domane fits a similar bill.

stumpy01

Sit on a few & see what works for you.
    Also consider things like tyre clearance, mudguard bosses etc. and what you think is important.

Also consider what type of riding you intend to do and the sort of distance. If you envisage regular long distances, consider something that errs towards comfort, rather than outright stiffness & pace.

My first road bike I got through a friend who works in the trade. It was cheap & while it’s fine, it would have been better if I’d tried a few & been a bit more fussy.

It’s a bit too long for me, so I ended up putting an inline post on it.
    The standard tyres are 23c & there is naff all clearance between the tyre & seat tube so I can’t go up a size.
    There’s no guard mounts, so I had to buy strap on mud guard which are a massive compromise over ‘proper’ ones.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mboy
    Free Member

You think MTB is complicated, with so many different disciplines (XC, Trail, Enduro, Freeride, DH etc.) then welcome to a whole new world of confusion!

Seriously though. Have a think about how you’re going to use the road bike, then pop down your local reputable shop, and seek some advice. No point in having an arse up head down race machine for popping to the shops on, nor if you’re a fit and flexible XC racer with excellent base fitness that wants to smash their local club runs would a Gravel Bike with a 1x setup be appropriate.

Fit is EVERYTHING with a road bike, far better to pay full price for a bike that fits you and is comfortable than to get a “bargain” on one that’s the wrong size or doesn’t suit your needs. Typically where MTB’s may come in S/M/L sizes (maybe an XL too if you’re lucky), road bikes will have twice as many sizes in the range typically with smaller steps inbetween each size so that it’s easier to achieve an optimum fit.

How much to spend? Well spend too little and it’ll be heavy and more than likely it will put you off, but the temptation will be that at least you’re not investing too much money. The fear with spending more will be that if you don’t like it, you’ll lose a lot selling it on 2nd hand, but conversely you’re more likely to take to it if the bike isn’t holding your progress back.

Oh, and buy one you like the look of. I can’t stress this enough! Looking at it and wanting to go and ride it is a big part of the battle, if you don’t like the look of the bike you’ll find excuses not to ride it. We’re all brand snobs to a degree, there’s certainly many makes I wouldn’t buy but there’s no point me listing them, but ultimately there’s very few bad bikes out there, only unsuitable ones.

However…

Just bear that in mind… 😉

IHN

Fit is EVERYTHING with a road bike

buy one you like the look of

These. If you can also get it second hand, you’re laughing.

spacemonkey

Don’t be afraid to buy second hand. Obvs the classifieds here plus Ebay and PinkBike are your friends.

I picked up a mint 1yr old CAAD8 running 105 with spare Aksiums/GP4000s and some other bits for £500.

Think about what you’d like as a bare minimum, especially when it comes to groupset. Some people are happy with Claris whereas others say the shifters and brakes are plain shit.

daern
    Free Member

One where the seatpost goes up and down.

grinds teeth audibly

deserter
    Free Member

One where the seatpost goes up and down.

grinds teeth audibly

Oh dear god I dont need a dropper for this too do I?

ampthill

Ridding some is the answer. Evans are great about this I rode quite a few bikes before spending my money.

I went for a Gravel bike as I preferred flexibility of use over marginal aero abd weight gains

I rode a Defy with 25mm tyres. Just seemed very limiting and uncomfortable. Really glad I went with fast rolling 35mm. Your mileage will vary but I’d say buy with space for at least 28mm tyres

chakaping
    Free Member

What do you want to do on it?

How flexible are you?

Are you going to ride it off road as well?

Really?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I did the road bike thing but never got on with the bars or shifters.

Bought a very nice hybrid a month ago. Don’t write off a decent hybrid. Mines a Trek Fx 7.7. carbon frame from a Trek Domane, flat bar road bike basically.

daern
    Free Member

Oh dear god I dont need a dropper for this too do I?

LOL! No, I might have been referring to my other thread about the pain of a seized seatpost. Whatever you get, make sure the bloody seatpost comes out of the frame before you buy it!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

An endurance geometry bike like a Cube Attain with hydraulic discs, or something that can take touring tyres like a Pinnacle Arkose.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I was in a similar situation 12 months ago and bought this
    https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bikes-c5/road-c37/marin-argenta-elite-road-bike-2015-p18569

Great first road bike, cheap and upgradable.
    Bought a Rose this year as I have got the bug now
    https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-pro-sl-1000-bike-now-852768/aid:852782

SaxonRider

Can I make a suggestion?

If it is your first road bike, buy a good, but second-hand one, and see how you get on.

The reason I say this is that I returned to the road two years ago after hankering for a road bike after 25 years of not having one. At Mrs SR’s suggestion, then, I picked one up from ebay – an old Trek 1200 – and proceeded to fall in love.

I have kept the Trek for winter use, but have added another, much better, road bike since, as well as a cx.

What it means, though, is that I didn’t spend any unnecessary money, and I found that I really love road riding. It’s an approach I would definitely advocate.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s the least fun you can have on two wheels. Skin tight spandex: it’s not the sort of stuff you wear if you have an ounce of self respect.

And apart from looking like an utter clown shoe, there’s a good chance you’ll be maimed or killed on our busy roads.

Then there’s the social side of it, or lack of. Soon all you’ll be talking about is “watts” “cadence” “strava” and “chapeau.” Insufferable. You’ll lose any mates you did have, and probably your wife and kids aswell.

Don’t waste your money; stick to MTBing.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Plus one for pre loved

Where I started my downward spiral to road biking depravity.

Second hand carbon Boardman team. Ace bike, cheap light. Many a happy hour on the road. Great first bike. Great spec

Scapegoat

How tall are you?
    (stealth ad in the offing)

SaxonRider

It’s the least fun you can have on two wheels… Don’t waste your money; stick to MTBing.

WHAT?!? 😯

davidtaylforth has clearly gone insane. Ignore him.

joebristol

Test ride before buying. I started with a Giant OCR on bike to work years ago and it was fine. Mostly commuted on it for 3 years.

Replacement was a Cannondale Caad 9 also on bike to work in liquigas colours – I wish I’d never got rid of that bike. It just looked fantastic and was a decent weight for an alloy bike and handled great.

Replaced that after 3 years with a Boardman Team Carbon. It’s lighter, stiffer and is less work to get living – but it doesn’t have the same lively feel that the ‘dale had. Most importantly it isn’t a Cannondale though and isn’t in liquigas colours

deserter
    Free Member

I’m all for a 2nd hand one tbh, but I forgot to add I live in BC Canada nowadays, I’ve got nice weather and nice roads to ride, what I want from it is to train on mainly from my front door,I’m really struggling on my mtb lately and just cant get over a certain level of fitness as mtb is either coasting or sicking up blood for me with no middle ground, I’ve decided mtb is just for fun but I need to actually train and I have zero interest in joining a gym

I really fancied a cx bike but tbh I doubt I will ride old logging roads here and anything else would rather be on my mtb

Thanks for all the responses, when I get time I’m going to ride a few, went to see the giant defy today and liked it, always fancied a canondale, also seen a look 765 locally and will go back to try the trek again

antigee

think a bit about what sort of road riding and what you have available from home – a gravel style bike will enable you to readily use forest tracks and bridleways to link sections of quieter road if you’ve only got narrower A roads to fight it out on

if you are thinking about joining a road club for regular rides then maybe something more pure road

if you want the flexibility of a gravel style bike for solo rides but are planning on riding sometimes with pure roadie mates then that shouldn’t be a problem – swop tyres or if a disk bike a second set of wheels is a quick option

wouldn’t argue with any of advice above
    after correct fit think about gearing options again depends where you live what intend to ride if all flat roads then trad road bike fine and plenty of tradition of pushing big gears is good for you – if hilly and tracks then compact and a 32 on back might be options

some good buyer guides over on road cc worth reading thru to see what features might be important or just coffee shop worthy

antigee

ignore me I wandered off half way thru and see you’ve answered on what is on doorstep – enjoy

wilburt
    Free Member

I’m not sure I agree with the ‘fit is everything’ mantra.

Modern bikes are so adaptable with stems and saddle adjustment I know I can quite happily ride a bike one size up or down. That said I dont really need to cos getting the right size is easy tell us how tall you are and I’ll tell you your size.

As for geometry well its usually easier to get low on a bike with a long headtube than it is high on a bike with a short one hence the defy/domane etc recomendations but you’ll
    find most bikes in say a 56 with a 170mm headtube will be ok just look out for the very short ones that are ok if your <30 and fit as.

Other than that just buy something in your budget that looks nice and ride it loads.

Personally I think Trek are making some of thr best thought out bikes at the moment but tbh theres little between all the big brands and you’ll struggle to find any bad one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Picked up a C2W cast off years back that fitted, good fit and first bike, so it’s worth looking around also it’s probably the time of year where people are getting into new bikes so some bargains about.

Swapped out for a disced defy last year and love it.

oldnpastit

So any tips so I buy right buy once

It’s already been said, but make sure it fits. It is pretty annoying to have to finally admit to yourself that your shiny new bike is the wrong size, and the only fix is absurd numbers of spacers, silly short stems, or a new bike.

Or so I’ve been told.

deserter
    Free Member

I’m just over 6ft with a 33″ in seam, 2 shops have said 56, but would have to measure me up on the ‘machine’

I’m 40 overweight with a blown acl thats lead to a worn out knee, so a long way from fit lol

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m just over 6ft with a 33″ in seam

If that is cycling inseam (booked wedgie measured) rather than trouser inside leg size, the 58cm Cube Attain range should be a good fit for you. My 58cm Attain GTC Pro Disc fits me nicely as a 43 year old MAMIL that is 5’10” and ~32.5″ cycling inseam (long torso for my height).

They don’t appear to be as well made as ~11 years ago, but like me, you might want Time ATAC clipless pedals for the extra float (which for me helps with my bow legs).

wilburt
    Free Member

Cubes are unusual sizing.

Your a 56 on most, ML on Giant or 57 on some that do odd sizing like BMC and Bianchi.

You could ride a 58 and have a more relaxed position but may find yourself a little stretched out on some but nothing you couldn’t accommodate,

Look at the geometry if your ordering online, look for a 560/570 effective top tube and a 170mm plus headtube.

Shops will know you’ll fit either so direct towards whatever size they have in stock.

This is a MTB forum so they’ll go on about discs and fat tyres you dont need either just get a bike and ride lots. Good luck.

Personally I would have the Emonda, they should be on offer as a new model is arriving soon.

deserter
    Free Member

Ended up getting a Bianchi Intenso, threaded bottom bracket sealed the deal lol

Cant get my flickr pic to upload 🙄

Yak

Not really a roadie, but do a bit now and then. Fwiw, clearance for at least 25c with decent mudguards is well worth it. My local lanes can look like a wet Roubaix in the winter, so 23s with no guards will be unpleasant.

atlaz
    Free Member

Not sure there are (m)any recent road bikes that won’t take a 25c tyre. My CAAD10 happily takes a 28

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I went for a Gravel bike as I preferred flexibility of use over marginal aero abd weight gains

I had a break in road bike ownership, and bought a Boardman CX, best of both worlds bike. Wrong. Sluggish on the road, just didn’t feel ever quite right.

Recently got a KTM. Stunning bike for the money, much more lively, climbs better, decends better, fits me better.

As above choose one that is comfortable fit wise and ride wise, and one you like looking at.

deserter
    Free Member

finally figured it out, first ride in and I really like it, super stiff even when I’m grinding on the pedals but not rough on the bad roads, only thing I’m questioning now is why I live at the top of a large hill

wilburt
    Free Member

Get one in a nice colour that’ll encourage you to ride when you cant really be arsed.

atlaz
    Free Member

Recently got a KTM. Stunning bike for the money, much more lively, climbs better, decends better, fits me better.

The KTM is a great frameset. Got one last year and haven’t regretted it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My advice would be to get a road bike with flat bars, them drops are silly.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘First ever road bike(recommendations)’ is closed to new replies.